Vin code HJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone help me and tell me more about this car ! I bought 2 months ago a red HJ45 with the Vin code HJ45-005291
This car is imported in to the Netherlands in 2009 but i don,t know from which country. And the first registration is 19-05-1976.
Screenshot_20231124_134935_WhatsApp.jpg

Can anyone help me and tell me more about this car ! I bought 2 months ago a red HJ45 with the Vin code HJ45-005291
This car is imported in to the Netherlands in 2009 but i don,t know from which country. And the first registration is 19-05-1976.
What is the plant code on the VIN plate?
That will tell you where it was made.
Any American plate in the door close?

I know the FJ40 has a plaque on the right fender below the battery. This should have a plaque somewhere in the engine bay. On that plaque should be where you can get the most useful information. VIN means it was probably a complete built truck in Japan. Kit vehicles have much higher number VINs. The model number on the under hood plaque might help what market it was intended for or just general market which will make it harder. That bed was not built for a 45 series in Japan. Looks like either a 70 series bed or one made outside of Japan. Very possible sold as a cab and chassis then bed added after it was imported to another country.

What is the plant code on the VIN plate?
That will tell you where it was made.
I want to know the history of this car, which manufacturer and from which country is was import from in Europe etcetera.... there are new doors en it had a new color so there is nothing to find . Thanks !

I know the FJ40 has a plaque on the right fender below the battery. This should have a plaque somewhere in the engine bay. On that plaque should be where you can get the most useful information. VIN means it was probably a complete built truck in Japan. Kit vehicles have much higher number VINs. The model number on the under hood plaque might help what market it was intended for or just general market which will make it harder. That bed was not built for a 45 series in Japan. Looks like either a 70 series bed or one made outside of Japan. Very possible sold as a cab and chassis then bed added after it was imported to another country.
Thanks , i gone look for it. I think there was a lot of damage of this car. The bed likes new... but it seems that also the cabin is not original .

20231106_121531.jpg

20231106_121551.jpg

20231106_121401.jpg

No HJ45 was imported by Toyota to the US. Not going to find an A pillar plaque. Toyota is not known for making information available for the history on the 40 series. In the US from 1981 models on a seventeen digit VIN was required on vehicles. This makes tracking a history easier only if Toyota imported it directly to the US. Later second hand cruisers with have a shorter VIN. The model on the VIN plaque will help but general market cruisers unless it has something special a certain maket required it will be tough tracking one vehicle's history. Especially one from 1976. I have a 1970 FJ40 I bought in 2011. Bought from the original owner. I know the date and dealer it was purchased from. I also know the original owner who I purchased from lived in the same home back in 1970 as when I bought it in 2011. Few of my other cruisers I know they were always registered in the state of Arizona, America.

This is my 9/64 FJ45. Titled as a 65.
IMG_2978.JPG

Bed it original. I know the build date because Specter Off Road has a Chart for early FJ45s that
goes past the 1967 when Toyota stopped importing 45s. In the US 3/63 and later 40 series have a second plaque on the driver's A pillar on those imported to the US. On this plaque is a month and year when it was built.

I have a 77 HJ45 and my VIN plate is in the engine bay on the bulkhead above where the heater blower should be on the passenger side. You should find the rivet holes at least if nothing more.

Possible that yours was switched from RHD to LHD if it was a Japanese import so check both sides.
Also, which engine do you have?

Another clue is what equipment you have - heater & power steering for example.
Here's my VIN and my South african 45 - original bed but heavily coach built upon by Meano when new.

20230607_110139.jpg

Screenshot_20230210-180218_eBay.jpg

Thanks , i gone look for it. I think there was a lot of damage of this car. The bed likes new... but it seems that also the cabin is not original
I have a 77 HJ45 and my VIN plate is in the engine bay on the bulkhead above where the heater blower should be on the passenger side. You should find the rivet holes at least if nothing more.

Possible that yours was switched from RHD to LHD if it was a Japanese import so check both sides.
Also, which engine do you have?

Another clue is what equipment you have - heater & power steering for example.
Here's my VIN and my South african 45 - original bed but heavily coach built upon by Meano when new.

View attachment 3490428

View attachment 3490431

Nice car.. ! The engine is a 3.6 diesel . H- engine and there is no vin plate or so ever everywhere i look. The only number that i can find is on the chassis and that is
HJ45 005291.

Screenshot_20231125_211233_WhatsApp.jpg

View attachment 3490416
Bed it original. I know the build date because Specter Off Road has a Chart for early FJ45s that
goes past the 1967 when Toyota stopped importing 45s. In the US 3/63 and later 40 series have a second plaque on the driver's A pillar on those imported to the US. On this plaque is a month and year when it was built.
Very Nice car.. there is no plaque to find only the number and i saw the list on Specter Off Road but that is only for the BJ45 and i can, t find a list for the Hj 45 . With the number on the chassis HJ45 005291.

View attachment 3490416
Very Nice car.. there is no plaque to find only the number and i saw the list on Specter Off Road but that is only for the BJ45 and i can, t find a list for the Hj 45 . With the number on the chassis HJ45 005291.

Nice car.. ! The engine is a 3.6 diesel . H- engine and there is no vin plate or so ever everywhere i look. The only number that i can find is on the chassis and that is
HJ45 005291.

View attachment 3491126
It might be the photo or my screen, but that doesn't look at all right.
The letters look like they've been scribed on there with an engraving tool to me.
This is what mine looks like..

20230607_110207.jpg

Please PM me on this Topic of the AWOL HJ45 Engine Bay DATA ID plate , i can help you on this subject both correctly , and by the book right period correct details ,,,,

- few options your at that transition point for a fact between early plate and later plate

i DO in-fact have General Countries Door Jamb DATA ID plates too , HJ45 Specific ....

THIS IS THE WAY .... :)

Hope that could help: 1979 (or 1980) HJ45 pickup, European market, Denmark (photo taken by me):

298.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom