Victory 4x4 Roof Rack Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last I checked, burden is on the one making the claim....or whoever cares enough to purchase one of these racks and really thinks the bending moments at the bolt holes matters (have there been any failures of the bolt holes?) can draw it themselves, I guess.
this is why drinking is bad. you may be right.

One of us needs to draw some pictures…

I installed some gamiviti towers on a DIY rack, as an ME, I can't help but see everything "wrong" with this design.

What do you think of this.... the large bolts are slotted, the smallest bolt is not...think about the vertical load. Nevermind the z shape that is also making me cringe, looks like it just wants to fold up on itself.

In the second picture you can see the shape of the tower better, but it looks like those holes use to not be slotted, which is what I thought I was buying. The new ones are fully slotted. Whew, that's a really small bolt taking all of that vertical load. There's no way an engineer OK'ed. It might be adequate, time will tell, but it's only by luck, not design IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

1639970419162.png

1639970516459.png

Have you ben drinking this time? If so i want some

Those slots allow adjustability so you can position the rack as needed. Those fasteners, the big and small, are not in sheer unless you bottom out the adjustability… you are keeping them in tension and clamping those faces together creating the friction.

I have some in the shed i can pull out. But if i remember correctly that shape doesn’t induce any extra moment in the bolt holes like the prinsu style mounts do. Look at it from the side and draw a free body…

Have you ben drinking this time? If so i want some

Those slots allow adjustability so you can position the rack as needed. Those fasteners, the big and small, are not in sheer unless you bottom out the adjustability… you are keeping them in tension and clamping those faces together creating the friction.

I have some in the shed i can pull out. But if i remember correctly that shape doesn’t induce any extra moment in the bolt holes like the prinsu style mounts do. Look at it from the side and draw a free body…
Wait, what?

In any position other than all the way down, the center 1/4" bolt is in shear. ONLY when the bracket is bottomed out, do you get any help from the other part of the bracket as far as shear. In other words, if using any adjustability at all, the bolts are in shear.
The only way the larger bolts help is if they are torqued high enough to result in more friction resistance than the shear resistance of that 1/4" bolt in the center. Problem is, no torque values are given, which is OK, I can look them up and run the numbers to see if the bolts are large enough.

It's no so much the moment on the bolt holes, but the loading through the bracket, the vertical down force is cantilevered, then transmitted back and away from the mounting holes instead of straight through them. I'd love to see on of these on a hydraulic press showing how'd they'd fail just to make the point. This is not how most people would transmit a load.

Nope, other way around. The 1/4" fastener hole is slotted like the 3/8" holes on the sides isn't it?

Nope. The 1/4" bolt is sitting in 1 of 4 pre-drilled holes. The two large bolts are long slotted.

1639996169765.png

No one is going to point out the "I'm Essential" dad-bod awesomeness? I mean for serious people. The victory rack is cool and all but lesbihonest here... Dad-bods ARE essential.

@MMoldrupLC @molonlabemike or anyone else who wants to chime in, I have some questions about the victory rack. First, how is the wind noise? Second, is the front fairing level with the cross bars? Third, what is the distance from the top of side rails to the top of the cross bars? Last, I see that don't offer 270 degree awning brackets. Is anyone running a 270 awning? How did you end up mounting it? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom