Venturcraft Trailblazers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up one of these from back East a month or two back and just got it shipped to me. Man they are cool. The trailer arrived safe and sound yesterday. It was dirtier and a little rougher (not too much -- I think we are spoiled out here in AZ) than I'd though. Need to replace the weather stripping around the bottom of the fiberglass lid and new rivets etc. Figuring Ace or Home Depot. Also putting some tie down points inside. On the good side, the tires are brand spanking new 31s. Still have the nubs and the red line across the tread. New shocks for the lid. I couldn't believe how big this thing is inside both the cargo area and the tent when it's open. Needs a new trailer light wiring kit I think so I just picked one up from Harbor Freight. Interestingly, it has two rows of tail lights rather than one. Now I'll start shopping for a spare that'll fit that bolt pattern I think it's 5x4.5. It's the original wheels I think.

VC2.jpg

On the off chance that anyone has parts for these...

My particular trailer was put together with parts purchased from Venturcraft as they closed. Mine doesn't have the factory latches - it currently has one pair of generic rubber hood latches, which I dislike.

Does anybody have a set of these? I've looked all over for something similar, and there are options, but the correct hardware would be nice.

thanks in advance!

Not I. I looked a few years back and couldn't find much of anything similar.
Not sure if its worth it but if you can find a person that can cast parts they could make duplicates from what you have.

Find a college or Adult Ed. school with an Industrial Arts program that includes foundry work. As a starter you could try the Mechanical Engineering & Manfacturing College at Calif. State University at Chico. They have an aluminum and brass foundry. Whether they're still teaching those classes I don't know, all of my Profs have since retired. If they're still teaching those classes these parts would be a perfect student project.

Could cast them at home, my dad made a part that he needed from a steel drum full of beer cans. It will be quite the project for someone who has never done that sort of work before. Lots to learn before the first heating of metal.

A basic sculpture class will have the means. Or maybe a 3D printed version?

I'd think that's a large volume of metal pour for a sculpture class foundry, but then I've never taken one of those classes.

I took a class at A city college and casted a foot tall cactus. I only have that one school to compare too. A buddy of mine does do it successfully in his backyard using tin cans and spare parts from engines and bikes, or what ever really for his aluminum materials

All good ideas, if not ambitious for my needs...

I'll most likely use some sort of draw latch from McMaster Carr. The tricky part, as I see it, is modifying the latch to bridge the offset between the base and the lid - probably about two inches there.

Thanks for the input!

The OEM latches are spring loaded. I think for good reason as I suspect that on the stock frame that the tub distorts and flexes going down the trail. W/O the springs the latches would be tearing up the cover and the tub because they wouldn't stretch and retract.

I'm still looking at going the other way, I want a soft cover for when out and about. The hard cover is a PITA then.

I hadn't thought of the flex - I'm glad you mentioned that. I agree too solid of a mount could tear up that fiberglass. I do have a soft cover. Could use the hard cover only when stored at home.

That's my plan, soft cover when in use, hard cover when parked in the back yard.

Soft cover is still on the todo list as well.

On the soft covers, several guys have had them made at a place here in Phoenix so they have the pattern down. Our club, Copper State Cruisers, has about five of the Trailblazers I think. A couple of us have the hard cover, but it seems the consensus is the good quality soft cover is more utilitarian. I have mine to carry my kayak on top. Took the fam out in the desert last night for the sunset and goofing off and drug it along.

IMG_4842.jpg

Took ours to the Parker 425. Used it Thurs night at the remote pit where you had to be in the pit by 7AM or they wouldn't let you in until 1PM. Since it was an ~hour drive there from main pit and our two race cars wouldn't get to the pit until about 9AM we decided to camp at the remote pit and not be rushed. Camped at Main Friday night after the race was over. Got a few pics of the race (& some from the pre-run), but none of the trailer until I pulled into my secret remote rest stop on the drive home. Because of the nature of the trip I used the Blanc-Oh! instead of the 4rnnr. Black pipe on the trailer holds the 25' telescoping antenna mast.

i-Jm5wRQz-L.jpg

Me again! I've got another question about using the soft top.

When traveling with the soft top, what keeps the lid from opening up on the road? At freeway speeds, I don't trust it without a latch of some kind.

I've been throwing a cargo strap around the whole thing for piece of mind.

Again, mine was home-built from pieces and may not have all the features of the factory models. Is there a secondary latch that I don't have?

My last Venturkraft had buttons all the way around the soft top that snapped into the fiberglass body. Never had a problem

Me again! I've got another question about using the soft top.

When traveling with the soft top, what keeps the lid from opening up on the road? At freeway speeds, I don't trust it without a latch of some kind.

I've been throwing a cargo strap around the whole thing for piece of mind.

Again, mine was home-built from pieces and may not have all the features of the factory models. Is there a secondary latch that I don't have?

@samtoddlee would you mind sharing the info for the place that made the soft tops for you all?

@ntsqd would you mind sharing a photo of the bar you have mounted to the side of your hard top?
Looks like it would be useful pulling the top off.

Not sure that I have a good pic of them. They're ADA compliance handrails for a public restroom. They are extremely handy for removing the HT. If it weren't so awkward of a part I'd be fine with leaving it on all of the time, but my 5'0" wife has a hard time lifting it high enough and we're not getting any younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom