Venturcraft Trailblazers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I havent found a thread dedicated to the Venturcraft Trailblazer so I thought it would be nice to start one.
Would be cool of some of the Mud members could post up picts of the trailers in use and modifications that has helped the versatility of these awesome little tent trailers.

Heres a couple shots of my 1st and current trailer.

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 11.54.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 11.54.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 12.05.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 12.07.21 PM.png

There just aren't that many of these running around. There was a yellow one up in OR that was FS and seems to have disappeared. One other mudder has one beside us. Yours looks to be the other one from OR that has or had an extensive FS page that that was still up (well after the sale) the last time that I looked for it. Those are all that I know about.

Yours is only the second hard cover that I've seen. I hate it. If we were using the trailer more I'd have a soft cover made for when on a trip. Would be much easier to erect the tent. As it is we've discussed selling ours. Hasn't really been used in quite a while.

Ours in glamp mode at the '09 Central Coast Meet-n-Greet hosted in Joaquin Suave's front yard:
i-XKZT8WX-L.jpg

Ours was extensively modified prior to coming to us. A local 4X4 fabrication shop built it a whole new frame because the original purchaser planned on and did take it to Mexico, both Baja and the mainland. Shocks were added to the rubber 'torsion' suspension (something that I consider to be a requirement), a sliding tongue was included (I've only ever used that for moving it around the yard by hand), extenders were fabricated for the rear support jacks to better fit uneven ground, and a serious tongue jack was added. It was designed for a Warn M8 winch in a cradle to be able to be fitted at the rear of the trailer and battery cables with Anderson Plugs were connected to both the tow rig and to the trailer's own pair of Red Tops.

i-Jm6WB3N-L.jpg

i-RFf8czT-L.jpg

i-wJpjPsC-L.jpg

Eventually the original tail light assemblies became brittle and corroded. I found these powder coated boxes and rubber mounted, sealed lights on a tow truck supply page. They don't quite fit like stock, but unless you know what stock looked like you wouldn't know the difference, and I MUCH prefer these lights to the originals.

i-RBPB7PS-L.jpg

Neato, kind of reminds me of the current viking express, but more compact

img_KvEArjKOFfnVNGS.jpg

I knew that you had one, didn't know of any others!

The green one I recently picked up was bought from a San Diego distributor that operated in the 90's.
He had a 1" block lift welded on from the factory to his 35's. The factory workers must have thrown it on with out adjusting the skid plate.
Its so warped. Im planning on cleaning the underside and replacing the skid plate or salvaging whats there.
Eventually Im going to color match the trailer to my 60.

Here are a couple of the Phoenix trailers.
Mine, new mattress and new canvas made a little long to account for lareger tires and uneven ground.
Trailer built in 01/95 and is number 007.

C8DD07B9-34E4-4EC5-A655-F3C31EEB66CB.jpeg

Mine and @Rudster
DD2F14CB-D300-4540-8591-E3CB028FEC78.jpeg

Mine with a new top
4754BE6D-C3D7-46EC-97BF-31C84350D7E7.jpeg

Mine with @verruckt1 on Mojave Road.
22F1DCFA-A625-401B-9B7C-A321C96562FD.jpeg

@Funner

B41AB2FD-28B1-4E07-9E61-8A26F42AF85B.jpeg

I’m sure there are more pictures of everyone’s trailers. We’re getting a small run together next month of the Venturcraft trailers in our group to compare mods and share ideas.

Last edited:
@Saddletramp did you make your new cover? Been meaning to sew one up just haven’t made the time.

@Saddletramp did you make your new cover? Been meaning to sew one up just haven’t made the time.

Had a local awning shop sew a few up. I think 4 of us so far have these. Much easier to deal with than a fiberglass top and it keeps the dust out better. Cost was about $350.

Had a local awning shop sew a few up. I think 4 of us so far have these. Much easier to deal with than a fiberglass top and it keeps the dust out better. Cost was about $350.
My first venture raft came with one. Much much easier than the fiberglass. Do you know what kind of fabric the used?

My local marine canvas shop suggested using a vinyl impregnated synthetic canvas for a soft cover. They showed me a sample of the material and I am sold. Picture a heavier, thicker version of the material used to make those river rafting dry bags out of. Just need to seam the stitching and it would be waterproof. The shop also suggested using leather on the inside of the top corners for wear resistance where the cover will rub on the floor frame.

Jason directed me to this thread; I bought his Venturcraft a couple of years ago. It now resides in the Seattle area, and we take it out 3-4 times a year (so far). I am also looking into having an awning made, or a full additional room. A buddy of mine has an add-on room on his Leesure Lite and it was great to have a propane fire in there when it is snowing outside!

Here's the trailer behind my LJ81 before setting up camp. I swapped 5 on 5.5 hubs so I could run the same wheels and tires.
20180705 LJ81 and Trailer.jpg

And here it is behind my Samurai a couple of weekends ago (where we actually did get a little snow!)
20180914 Samurai and Trailer.jpg

That's interesting, our doors & screens don't roll up like that. Does yours have the flap with velcro across the top above the door?

That's interesting, our doors & screens don't roll up like that. Does yours have the flap with velcro across the top above the door?

Yeah, it's different than the Kwik Kamp I had prior to this trailer. I actually liked the opening better on the Kwik Kamp - it is like the screen opening on this trailer (zipper down the middle, and at the bottom on each side.) Rolling the front up can be a pain, especially if it is raining.

The flap has both Velcro and a zipper to attach to. There are also zippers running down each side of the opening to attach a screen room or add-a-room.

Has anyone ever seen something that would attach to those side zippers? I never have. We have the awning, but an add-a-room would be cool.

If you run through the commercial you’ll see an add-on option for tent that I imagine zipped up along the side and top.

4DE093E1-3936-4805-A91C-F248F45842B7.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom