VDJ-FTV 76-Series Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day guys and girls. Just signed up, this is my second 4x4 but first Land Cruiser. My father had a 75 series tray-back utility and that was very harsh of a vehicle... next to a military vehicle pretty much, just absolutely bare and a hard ride as well.

So after needing a stronger tow vehicle to tow my 22ft, 3 tonne caravan, this was the strongest 4x4 available in Australia seeing as US pickups are not readily available or affordable ($120,000). So it was this beast and while it is still rather "primative", it is a little more comfortable than the ol'mans old utility. I am slowly getting used to it but one thing I do like is the 4.5L turbo-diesel V8 it has and the fact that it is very simplistic which makes for not too much to go wrong or break easily.

I just came from a BT-50 which is a Mazda badged Ford Ranger which was a delightful vehicle but were having issues with cracked chassis while towing 3 tonnes or over regularly. But it was an amazing vehicle otherwise.

A few pics from dead stock to current, there's a pic of a hill there that stopped me, needed lockers and a few other general pics as well as my set-up. I bought it new so is a 2012 model, and have been slowly modifying it to suit. I would love for a set of 255/85/16 tyres but are a little too uneconomical for towing purposes on such a small vehicle as I lose too much torque. I have pretty much set it up for adventuring/camping/touring and in a weeks time I will have the caravan hooked up and travelling around 3000 kilometres up to Cairns for the Cape York trip, then travel back home again.

So keen to get amongst it all and hope to get some good conversations rolling. Who knows, might even get to do some whheling over in the USA and Europe one day.

Cheers

PicsArt_1403100867633.jpg

PicsArt_1402240937771.jpg

PicsArt_1399788639710.jpg

PicsArt_1403101355617.jpg

PicsArt_1395537213107.jpg

This was my BT-50. I miss it like no tomorrow. It had a 3.2L 5cylinder turbo diesel which I had the ECU remapped and produced 180KW and 650Nm of power. So a highly strung engine but it still went like the clappers and was an absolute weapon in the bush.
BADBT.jpg
PicsArt_1403100963809.jpg
Here's me and a friend with our Cruisers in a "play pen" we found. Great little spot...was an awesome adventure along a powerlines track. Everyone LOVES powerlines tracks!!
PicsArt_1403103995057.jpg
Here is my BT-50 towing my caravan. As you can see... it's not quite "5th wheeler" size but getting close, and would be damn better handling if it was..!!
BADBT.jpg

Very nice. Wish we could get those things over here in North America.

banner-troopcarriers.png
1302255.jpg
IMG_1694 (1).jpg
Some day .. some day ... VDJ76 in my garage ..

Yeah, if you ever import one, look at the 78 Series Troop carrier, slightly longer wheel base and much more useable space in the rear. I wish I bought one now as I have NEVER used the rear seats in either of my 4x4's, so why bother with 4doors and less room!! .

Very nice. Wish we could get those things over here in North America.

It's funny... you guys want Land Cruisers and We want Pick-ups. I suppose there are advantages with both, and having a smaller vehicle means able to make use of a smaller "play ground" and fit down narrower tracks etc. One thing about the US tracks would be they'd be nice and wide, would be awesome. So many cool pics on the forum of Hummers and other vehicles we hardly see wheeling in Australia. We only get LandCruisers, Nissan Patrols, Wranglers, some Cherokees, and the lighter dual-cab utes (like my BT-50 above and Toyota Hiluxes which is same weight and bigger than a LandCruiser but lighter built chassis and driveline. Doesn't make any sense to me) wheeling around. So Suzuki Sierra's as well

You already have a license plate for it. :steer:

Sorry, I forgot you were in the Witness Protection Program. :hillbilly:

Sorry, I forgot you were in the Witness Protection Program. :hillbilly:

Well I was in the Witness Protection Program until you mentioned I was in the Witness Protection Program. Now I have to change my name again and switch over to the Land Rover Forum. See what you have done? :doh:

Yes and as I mentioned I would have a 78 Troopy any day of the week over the 76 wagon. So regret it now!!

Your seeing the glass half empty instead of half full. : )
At least you have the OPTION of owning either vehicle whereas here in the U.S. the only time we see a 76 or 78 Series is on this forum or in a magazine.

Well I was in the Witness Protection Program until you mentioned I was in the Witness Protection Program. Now I have to change my name again and switch over to the Land Rover Forum. See what you have done? :doh:

Look, it's easy. Take the 74, smear oil all over the chassis (enough to drip on the ground), swap emblems, switch plates and take half the light bulbs out. :smokin:

Look, it's easy. Take the 74, smear oil all over the chassis (enough to drip on the ground), swap emblems, switch plates and take half the light bulbs out. :smokin:

You could have worked for the engineering / quality control department at Land Rover. You already seem to know all of their trade secrets, :)

I like the troopy too, but the 4 doors is still practical for me. If the kids were grown, then definitively a troopy it would be.

Yes and as I mentioned I would have a 78 Troopy any day of the week over the 76 wagon. So regret it now!!

Don't be so sure. Come out to CruiserFest this year and you'll be able to put your hands on a VDJ76, 78 and 79 :D

Latest mods: 2" lift and 255/85/16 tyre on some new rims. I think she's almost there. Another inch of lift, lighting and a set of draws in the rear and that'll do me.
PicsArt_1412325344356.jpg
PicsArt_1412324923050.jpg
PicsArt_1412325559863.jpg

PicsArt_1412325189104.jpg

Your seeing the glass half empty instead of half full. : )
At least you have the OPTION of owning either vehicle whereas here in the U.S. the only time we see a 76 or 78 Series is on this forum or in a magazine.
Haha. True there I suppose. I have no idea why you guys only get some Jap vehicles and we don't get any US pick-ups. We are now but only as "premium vehicle" through dealers and at $120,000 each. Crazy. I want a 2005 GMC HD2500 and it was priced at $71,500 still. It's just these landcruisers are too small. Well, more like I wasn't aware the 76 series had a shorter wheelbase than the troopy or Ute. Because I'm not tall, I just fit inside laying down. I removed the rear seat and built a false floor so I can store everything underneath and sleep in the back. This is my vehicle fully packed for a trip. Have a 31L waeco fridge at the left-rear door. I need to push the front seat forward at night to lay flat. But overall, it works and beats setting up a swag or tent every night. If I'm with the girl I take the swag

PicsArt_1412359721648.jpg

PicsArt_1412359812758.jpg

Last edited:
The GMC would definitely be less expensive in the U.S. :)
I don't know the sales numbers but when it comes to diesel powered pickups, I'm fairly sure the Ford F-250/350 is number 1 with the Dodge and Chevrolet/ GMC bringing up the rear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom