Value of FJ40 with a diamond plating and 350ci Chevy V8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another example of an overinflated market. Owner see’s others in the 20’s and 30’s and figures his rusty tub v8 has to be worth 17k!! I just sold a 1965 one owner california rust free, factory softtop, factory pto winch, daily driver for 22k. I actually started at 30k, but within a couple weeks went down to 22k and it sold right away, I realized when no one was contacting me at 30k , the price was too high!! Some owners sit in there price for 6 months!! This is what a 22k rig looks like!!

0D4379C8-1569-45D7-A3FB-FD66413C1FFC.jpeg

Another example of an overinflated market. Owner see’s others in the 20’s and 30’s and figures his rusty tub v8 has to be worth 17k!! I just sold a 1965 one owner california rust free, factory softtop, factory pto winch, daily driver for 22k. I actually started at 30k, but within a couple weeks went down to 22k and it sold right away, I realized when no one was contacting me at 30k , the price was too high!! Some owners sit in there price for 6 months!! This is what a 22k rig looks like!!

View attachment 2841630Someone got a smoking deal at 22k.

Rear channel is shot. 1/4s are chopped & butchered.

There’s no reason to cover that much of the rocker other than to throw a bandage over a problem.

The inner frame looks to be rotten in spots and swelling where it’s riveted to the outer frame.

The engine looks to be mounted too far back.

The bottom of the T-case also looks beat up.

Definitely not a 17.5k rig.

If you are not a purist you can probably save a few bucks and avoid the emotional conflict of spending money to decrease its value by buying one like this that is already swapped. Chevotas pop up, some done better than others. This price seems high vs the ones Ive seen. If you want something as a restoration project I would look at rigs that still have the Toyota engines.

If you are not a purist you can probably save a few bucks and avoid the emotional conflict of spending money to decrease its value by buying one like this that is already swapped. Chevotas pop up, some done better than others. This price seems high vs the ones Ive seen. If you want something as a restoration project I would look at rigs that still have the Toyota engines.

Never owned a 40 series with a V8. But from what I've placement of the engine is important as far as cooling. while I admit O don't know it possible could be an issue. If so moving the engine requires work and almost like starting from scratch. Engine mounts, holes in the transmission hump and driveshaft lengths all come to mind. The idea of spending $17.5K to buy someone else's problems is not something I would even consider. When dealing with a stock drivetrain it's a matter of changing parts at worse. Someone screwed up mods is a unknown until get into it.

Never owned a 40 series with a V8. But from what I've placement of the engine is important as far as cooling. while I admit O don't know it possible could be an issue. If so moving the engine requires work and almost like starting from scratch. Engine mounts, holes in the transmission hump and driveshaft lengths all come to mind. The idea of spending $17.5K to buy someone else's problems is not something I would even consider. When dealing with a stock drivetrain it's a matter of changing parts at worse. Someone screwed up mods is a unknown until get into it.
Thats a lot of speculation about cooling problems, especially considering it looks like someone addressed that concern with the extended shroud (shorter engine), but I agree fixing mistakes can be costly. Plenty of mistakes on trucks with stock powertrains with $$$ parts only going up and NLA items. My point is if you just want to have a toy to bash around with in the woods, no one is going to worry about the period correct colored heater blower connector or turn signal flasher on a 40 that has already been bastardized with a Chevy engine.

Thats a lot of speculation about cooling problems, especially considering it looks like someone addressed that concern with the extended shroud (shorter engine), but I agree fixing mistakes can be costly. Plenty of mistakes on trucks with stock powertrains with $$$ parts only going up and NLA items. My point is if you just want to have a toy to bash around with in the woods, no one is going to worry about the period correct colored heater blower connector or turn signal flasher on a 40 that has already been bastardized with a Chevy engine.

Not sure it's as simple a making a shroud. Would save a lot of work if the V8 was kept right against the firewall. Seen it done a few times. No driveshaft mods. The transmission and transfer case shifter work as is. Same with the tunnel itself. When Toyota introduced the BJ40 they kept everything the same but used a longer bellhousing to move the engine away from the firewall. A shroud help pull heat out of the radiator, particularly at slow speed. But all the heat pulled off it dumped on the engine. Airflow across the engine is very important. The placement of the engine determines airflow.

I see plenty of transmissions come up sale with bend shifters because they came from behind a V8 that was located further forward. Just added a shroud doesn't automatically mean it solved any overheating issues. Even if it ran perfect would not pay $17.5 that is that rough of shape.

If the block is too close to the firewall, there will be poor air circulation around it. This often leads to overheating problems.

I’ve got lots of space… and the stock rad with shroud has been plenty.

I’ve never seen a V8 conversion for sale that I’d buy. All the conversions I’ve seen for sale in person have been hacked together sh!t. I did my own so it would be done right. And I converted because in ‘96 I didn’t have $3500 to rebuild a stock engine. I chose to spend $2000 on a conversion and $300 on a 350. 21 years later, I bought another $300, 350 and was back in business.

I'd be more worried about the rocker condition. But the quarters can be replaced . You can source the tailgates used. Rockers can be replaced too. I would probably give 6k max for it but that is because I would replace all of that and swap the engine back to a f or a 2f. If you want a fun truck that you can wheel and the diamond doesn't bother you then the v8 might be your thing. If so then you might be willing to pay more. It's all up to what you are willing to pay. Most on this forum would probably not give a ton for that simply because they want a toyota engine and oem panels etc....

I had an old 69 that I wheeled pretty hard and reckless in my 20s. I smashed 1 quarter and left it. But I considered diamond. At 1 point I trimmed the quarters and front fenders to clear 35s. Still sold it for 9k and it was pretty ugly. But it had original drive train.
I do people care a lot about have the original f/2f engine?
Isn't a v8 more expensive, hence it being more valuable?

I do people care a lot about have the original f/2f engine?
Isn't a v8 more expensive, hence it being more valuable?
Original always pulls more from purists. If you are wheeling it hard and turning it into something you wheel with a v8 abd other non toyota partrs, you won't get interest from purist if you sell. It just depends what market you target. If you like it , buy it. That's my motto. You are driving it anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom