Value of FJ40 with a diamond plating and 350ci Chevy V8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I am looking a a ‘74 rig with a low mile Chevy 350ci v8 conversion. It’s in beautiful, mostly original shape otherwise. It’’s 99% rust free but does have diamond plate on the rear sides. Looking at what’s behind the diamond, there is very little rust damage being covered up. Does the diamond plating and V8 conversion diminish the value of this vehicle? Trying to determine if it’s priced appropriately.

Hello all. I am looking a a ‘74 rig with a low mile Chevy 350ci v8 conversion. It’s in beautiful, mostly original shape otherwise. It’’s 99% rust free but does have diamond plate on the rear sides. Looking at what’s behind the diamond, there is very little rust damage being covered up. Does the diamond plating and V8 conversion diminish the value of this vehicle? Trying to determine if it’s priced appropriately.
Does the diamond plate and V8 bother you personally, is probably the first question to be answered?

do you have any pictures of the rig to share? otherwise its hard to make a guestimate
Here ya go!

BF80BA2E-0988-4063-BDA7-BE4E4FC69FC2.jpeg

5DEC6B6C-7BFD-442D-8927-A2589EF4FC30.jpeg

32413957-0FEE-47D7-9567-DFDBD2349E9F.jpeg

Makes you wonder about the condition of the metal underneath all of that diamond plate... Could be perfectly fine; or it could be a rusted out mess.

Makes you wonder about the condition of the metal underneath all of that diamond plate... Could be perfectly fine; or it could be a rusted out mess.
It honestly does not look awful. I’m not completely sure why it was even there. Underneath and frame are solid.

0A987DCC-277A-4095-B20B-138C698E9F5D.jpeg

is that an early aqualu tub or really just diamond plate? i recall their early tubs looked like that. i have that same combination on one i’m fixing but my 350 was done poorly. i paid 5000 CAD because the body was actually in pretty good shape and i want it for a fun truck, not a show piece. i felt that was a reasonable price as i have another 350 and 4 speed to drop in and make it better anyway!
138C7C40-0555-4699-8A0F-A8817D4992D2.jpeg

I'd be more worried about the rocker condition. But the quarters can be replaced . You can source the tailgates used. Rockers can be replaced too. I would probably give 6k max for it but that is because I would replace all of that and swap the engine back to a f or a 2f. If you want a fun truck that you can wheel and the diamond doesn't bother you then the v8 might be your thing. If so then you might be willing to pay more. It's all up to what you are willing to pay. Most on this forum would probably not give a ton for that simply because they want a toyota engine and oem panels etc....

I had an old 69 that I wheeled pretty hard and reckless in my 20s. I smashed 1 quarter and left it. But I considered diamond. At 1 point I trimmed the quarters and front fenders to clear 35s. Still sold it for 9k and it was pretty ugly. But it had original drive train.

Mud forums doesn't seem to like v8 conversions as much, but say you go to BringaTrailer etc, value seems to be higher.

X2 to what @whitey45 stated above, that is what I saw, there is no rear sill, so if it rusted and was removed does that make it rust free?
along with the rear quarters not being close to factory shape, maybe a replacement rear body? what does the rear floor look like or the inside wheel wells?
do the rear barn doors open?

The diamond plate doesn’t look to stick out like added diamond plate would; almost looks like the replaced body sheetmetal with the DP?
I’d reroute the brake line that has a huge loop and runs next to the header too.
What is the asking price and what are your intentions with an FJ40?

The value of this 40 depends on what you are looking for. If you're looking for a stock 40 then there is a lot of work to bring it back which will cost lots of money. If you're looking more for a resto mod it will require less work but still a fair amount of money to straighten out the body. How much time and money are you willing to devote, that will affect the value. You haven't spelled out which direction you want to go so only you can determine the value.

As others have stated, that seems way too high for what you are buying into. Not sure if you have owned/driven 40's but I suspect that you can find a solid one in original condition that is good to drive for about the same cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom