Value of a 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

perhaps $18,500 was an ok price

Not in my book. The redeeming factor of this rig is that it's Left Hand Drive.

The negatives:
South american rig: "usually equals shoddy work" question everything
repaint = evidence all over of overspray, shoddy body work? question everything
leaking clutch slave = not a huge deal on a $12k rig, beyond ridiculous on a $35k rig
Corrosion on lines, crappy spliced wiring
honestly, the 3F is not a desirable engine, not saying it's bad, it's just not a desirable diesel
who knows the actual mileage, maintenance or anything else

Now it looks "shiny" and nice, but there is A LOT wrong with this.

@joekatana can hook you up with a sweet Left Hand Drive diesel HZJ73 for that kind of price you are looking at.

The negatives:
South american rig: "usually equals shoddy work" question everything
repaint = evidence all over of overspray, shoddy body work? question everything
leaking clutch slave = not a huge deal on a $12k rig, beyond ridiculous on a $35k rig
Corrosion on lines, crappy spliced wiring
honestly, the 3F is not a desirable engine, not saying it's bad, it's just not a desirable diesel
who knows the actual mileage, maintenance or anything else

@joekatana can hook you up with a sweet Left Hand Drive diesel HZJ73 for that kind of price you are looking at.
18500$ was still way to much for that particular BJ70 but the days that I could sell a good clean lhd HZJ73 for that price have passed , they are hard to find these days and prices have more then doubled worldwide on them since I started importing them in the US. Good lhd diesel cruisers are in high demand these days

18500$ was still way to much for that particular BJ70 but the days that I could sell a good clean lhd HZJ73 for that price have passed , they are hard to find these days and prices have more then doubled worldwide on them since I started importing them in the US. Good lhd diesel cruisers are in high demand these days

yeah I was thinking of his $35,000 price for a clean LHD HZJ73. $18,500 is definitely overpriced and you can get bj74s and HZJ73s for 18s to 20s.

Not all South American cruisers are a lost case. Mine wasn't perfect at all yet I still wish I had kept it now and replaced the 3F with a 1HZ.

FJ73.JPG

Based on statements above, LTChip is in Puerto Rico, so pricing in his area will be different than the continental US. Added costs to get them there, & different market conditions also, I’d assume. But yeah, that red truck has too many “miscommunications” for me to believe anything said about the truck. So I’d steer clear. Also if I was in PR, I’d want a truck in known, really good shape since parts might be harder to source.

The more you look at these trucks, the more things you find. I think the rear springs are different side to side. We had a SA FJ40 in the shop one time and ALL 4 springs were different :) I always look at the springs now.

@LTChip Some of the 70 series trucks from Spain and Portugal that pop up are insanely clean....and usually inexpensive. Their motor(VM series) is not something most people want BUT, you can buy one of these things somewhat cheap and maybe look at a motor swap down the road. Not an inexpensive proposition at all but if it's done right, you'll have a great drivetrain in a very clean truck. I'd do that any day before I tried to sort out a South American truck. I think some of them are beyond sorting out.

Seems like they are always like this....

Last edited:
The more you look at these trucks, the more things you find. I think the rear springs are different side to side. We had a SA FJ40 in the shop one time and ALL 4 springs were different :) I always look at the springs now.

@LTChip Some of the 70 series trucks from Spain and Portugal that pop up are insanely clean....and usually inexpensive. Their motor(VM series) is not something most people want BUT, you can buy one of these things somewhat cheap and maybe look at a motor swap down the road. Not an inexpensive proposition at all but if it's done right, you'll have a great drivetrain in a very clean truck. I'd do that any day before I tried to sort out a South American truck. I think some of them are beyond sorting out.

Seems like they are always like this....

:lol:

B97AAB9F-8F47-48B6-9C8D-92AB076A853C.jpeg

The negatives:

Hello,

The clutch cylinder is not just leaking. It is from a later model 70 Series. A very creative mechanic made the swap.

The rear jump seat, also from a later model 73 Series, looks crudely bolted in place.

I wonder what other creative mechanics lay hidden in that truck, ready to fail.

I would walk away from this truck.

Regarding SA trucks, unless you are willing to go down there, look for one yourself, and try to find the proverbial diamond in the mud, it is better to pass on them.

Juan

I’ve recently seen three 40 Series (not a 70 Series but the lesson is the same) that originated in Central or South and were bought by locals via EBay Motors. All three sported nice paint jobs and looked good from about 40’ away. All three however were disasters when you got closer. I’m not trying to stereotype all of the vehicles from down south but I personally would be reluctant to take the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom