Vacuum to Manual t-case conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a little searching and didnt see a complete writeup on this. Its not a trivial task....

You really have to dissasemble the tcase to do this properly. Im doing a rebuild at the same time so I have all gaskets etc.

Here is the parts list from SOR for simplicity.

074-64C-U Internal Hi-Low Shift lever
074-41K Front Shift detent plug
074-43K Front Shift detent spring
074-44K Front Shift detent ball
074-17E-U Front drive engagement shaft
074-45C-U High/Low external lever

You also need a manual trans shift lever assembly.
Im not done with the shifter. I will need to fab some items to make it all work. Ill fill that in later.

A few pics...

differences between high/low shift.
62 on the left, 60 on the right.
IMG_0043-1.JPG
IMG_0044-1.JPG
IMG_0055-1.JPG

more pics

this time the 62 is on the right.

Notice that the 62 does not have a bolt hole under the trans output. It also has a boss where the detent should be for the front shift but no threaded hole. There are other differences you can see in the pics
IMG_0045-1.JPG
IMG_0046-1.JPG
IMG_0047-1.JPG

Last pics for now.

In the first pic you can see the difference between the front shift fort. The 62 is shorter and has no notches for the detent. There is no provision for the boot and its too short to connect with a manual shift if you use this transfer on a 4 or 5 speed.

The second pic shows the case drilled and tapped for the detent. The plug is 15mm X 1.5 thread. As others have found this is not a tap thats in stock at the local store. I did find one on line, but I didnt want to wait for it to arrive. I tapped the hole at 14mm 1.5 and then used a thread cutter on the plug to cut it down to 14mm. There is plenty of material on the plug and it worked out great.
IMG_0048-1.JPG
IMG_0054-1.JPG

you'll also need a 15x1.50? tap. and to really do it right you'll need to face the detent casting.

impatience...

I did face the inside a bit, but it came out real clean. If you do this dont forget to put something inside the tcase to prevent drilling through and hitting the other side.

This tcase is now remounted on the auto trans and I will work on the shift lever next weekend.

Good writeup. I might go ahead and do this when it comes time to rebuild my tcase (or just get a 60 tcase, rebuild it and put it on). Meantime I just eliminated the vacuum solenoids from the firewall, plumbed vacuum lines into my cab and installed a Norgren manual vacuum valve. Works flawlessly. And I STILL have to get the rest of the pics so I can do the writeup on it. Been over a year...

Yo Diesel Trucker,

What are your reasons for performing the conversion to manual shift?
I have a spare vacuum shift transfercase that I'd like to convert. Will you please keep track of your expenditures and share them with us? Also, please seperate the materials costs for the transfercase and the shift mechanism.

Thanks bro,

Rick

Yo Diesel Trucker,

What are your reasons for performing the conversion to manual shift?
I have a spare vacuum shift transfercase that I'd like to convert. Will you please keep track of your expenditures and share them with us? Also, please seperate the materials costs for the transfercase and the shift mechanism.

Thanks bro,

Rick

Im converting this mainly to create clearance for exhaust on a current conversion project. Im putting a 13BT/Auto in an FJ62. With the manual shift there is enough room between the frame and the t-case to fit the exhaust. I dont like the stock BJ60 config for the exhaust and Ive done one with a 3B/5Spd like this before.

The t-case was filled with ATF when I got it so I wanted to take it apart anyway to see what condition it was in.

If you check the parts I listed at SOR that is basically what its costing me. I also bought a rebuild kit and I will fab something for the shifter which should be an interesting project in itself.

almost done

The trans and transfer are now together and back in the 62. I need to reinforce the attachment for the shifter pivot and mock up and weld a shifter handle. The goal is to put it through the stock location, but we'll see how it goes.
The stock 62 shifter is straight and it mounts where the most forward bolt is in these pics.
IMG_0062-1.jpg
IMG_0063-1.jpg

Very informative.
Thankyou.

Very good thread!
I did a conversion from vac to manual shift a while back without touching anything on the inside of the transfer case.
It took a bit of planning but seems to work fine.
The reason I did it was my '84 60 transfer was getting pretty noisy and I had a '88 vacuum shift transfer and box sitting in the corner of the shed.
Did all the necessary mods to the vac transfer to make it work with the '84 stick shifter.
Everything is a bolt on bolt off conversion, so that all mods can be unbolted and removed and the vacuum gear could be put back on again.
I did take a couple of photos along the way if anyone is interested, and would also be able to drop the bash plate and photograph the conversion in place.

Very good thread!
I did a conversion from vac to manual shift a while back without touching anything on the inside of the transfer case.
It took a bit of planning but seems to work fine.
The reason I did it was my '84 60 transfer was getting pretty noisy and I had a '88 vacuum shift transfer and box sitting in the corner of the shed.
Did all the necessary mods to the vac transfer to make it work with the '84 stick shifter.
Everything is a bolt on bolt off conversion, so that all mods can be unbolted and removed and the vacuum gear could be put back on again.
I did take a couple of photos along the way if anyone is interested, and would also be able to drop the bash plate and photograph the conversion in place.
I will be rebuilding my tcase in a few weeks. I'd love to convert to manual. I don't feel confident enough to do all the mods after reading your posts. I would really appreciate a few more detailed pictures if possible. Any more detailed explanations would be great too. I'm sure things will clear up more for me as I tear down and remove the tcase and trany.
-Randy

I two would be interested in some pics.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom