V8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting my rebuild on a ‘73 FJ40. I have a ‘96 GM 350 that I want to use. Is it practical to simply use a GM tranny and TC or do I try to use the Toyota 3 speed and TC? Is there a better combination? Who has the best and most complete adapter components?
Appreciate any expert advice that I can get.

Welcome to Mud!

Here's some light reading to begin. There are many factors involved in deciding on a engine swap. And just as many opinions.

What is your intended use for your 40? Stk gm drivelines can be pretty long.

And Toyota 3 speeds don't always hold up great behind V8s. ...just for beginners

And Toyota 3 speeds don't always hold up great behind V8s. ...just for beginners
I will have to refute that comment.
I have been running a stock 3 speed behind a stock 350 engine since the mid 80's and have romped it pretty good on occasion.
I have pulled stumps and trailers with thousands of pounds on them and the trans is still working fine.
I am not recommending a 3 speed, just saying it is doable.

thanks guys,
I'm not sure exactly what I will do with it. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast so there's not much rock climbing here. Beach cruiser or just a show vehicle. I'm really into more of the challenge of building something then let somebody else have it for their enjoyment. I was concerned about the drive train being too long with all GM components but the reality is the linkage would be under the body or electronic. I've got access to a muncie 4speed with BH, clutch etc that would flange up to the 350 but not sure if there is an adapter for the FJ TC case? And if I go that route it appears the drive train would beabout 8" to far forward and the shifter not being convenient to the driver?? This was the kind of input responses I looking for on this site.

I will have to refute that comment.
I have been running a stock 3 speed behind a stock 350 engine since the mid 80's and have romped it pretty good on occasion.
I have pulled stumps and trailers with thousands of pounds on them and the trans is still working fine.
I am not recommending a 3 speed, just saying it is doable.
Thanks for the info. My luck has not been as good, but I definitely don't want to be giving out false info.

First, dig up the Downey V8 Installation Instruction manual that is here on Mud under the Downey Off Road link. Then check out ebay numbers 264275501163, 263894017100, and 264304627852- - -that stuff gets you adapted and motor mounted- - -easy deal.

To use the SBC you already have, the SM465 4sp would be a solid, economical choice. Adapters are readily available and the overall drivetrain length is manageable in the stock wheelbase. Keeping the shifter in the stock tranny hump opening is challenging because you have to set the engine back towards the firewall to do it. Not impossible, just a little challenging. Downey's V8 install manual is a great resource for info. Advanced Adapters makes swap kits for the drivetrain.

I ran a 3-speed behind a SBC for years in my 72 FJ40. No problems at all, but 55 mph was 2,800 rpm. Rubber overdrive would help there. I highly recommend going to either a Toyota 5-speed (h55f) or even a GM nv4500. We now have both and I really love the nv4500 granny gear. Can also find myself doing 80 on the freeway, but I try to keep it down in the 65 mph area, with rpms @ 2,200. Consistent 12-14 mpg.

We put a splitcase transfercase (from an 86 FJ60) behind the h55f. Worked rather well, driveline in front was a pretty short double cardan. Lots of info here on MUD. That's how we did our '72 build, all based on MUD info. It's all been done by someone on here.

There's a guy in Bend OR that sells rebuilt nv4500 (Bend Craiglist). Spendy, but probably worth it.

Good Luck!

First, dig up the Downey V8 Installation Instruction manual that is here on Mud under the Downey Off Road link. Then check out ebay numbers 264275501163, 263894017100, and 264304627852- - -that stuff gets you adapted and motor mounted- - -easy deal.
Hey Downey, I Can't locate the link. Can you direct me to it?

Hey Downey, I Can't locate the link. Can you direct me to it?

Here you go Cruiser-bro'. Post #7 in this thread. ✌

Texas Cajon, click on "search Forums" at top of page, then enter Downey Off Road, then the instruction sheets are on about the 4th page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom