Definitive Chevy v8 Install Guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I know there are 10,000 ways to install 10,000 variations of a Chevy v8 in a 40 series but I was wondering if anyone had written up a comprehensive guide to doing ONE of those variations?

It seems like there would be a market for such a thing... I know I would PAY to have a solid plan that addresses everything that will need to be done to get the job done.

What worries me about the v8 swaps that I have investigated is all of the one-off custom solutions. Every "gotcha" has been solved time and time again so it seems silly for every new person that is doing a swap to have to stumble onto these issues and then to have to figure out the solutions on their own.

I don't think I am being lazy, I think I am being practical in wanting to NOT have to reinvent the wheel. I would be willing to give up the "ability" to pick and choose every little part that I want in my swap in order to have a "THIS WILL WORK IF YOU DO IT LIKE THIS" guide.

mark

I think there are just too many variables. What engine do you want to use, what transmission, what transfer, do you want to use the stock engine wiring, stock LC wiring, some hybrid of LC and engine wiring, which radiator, clutch fan or electric, headers or stock manifolds, etc. That's why everybody goes their own way. Downey had a set of instructions and AA has a set of instructions, but even using those as a guide, there are still things that you'll find you'd like to do differently. And not everybody has the same skills; some people build their own engine mounts and some people have to use what's on the market. I think you pretty much need to read up on what's out there, collect the details and ideas that you like, and then start putting it together. Just my opinion.

^^ this

There are just too many variables.

I just pick up a copy of a book how to drop an LS motor into anything, (downloaded it on the iFap actually). It's pretty vague. What vehicles they do mention specifically are mostly American muscle. It has some stuff I'll use. It will be worth the $14.

I suppose I could take a bunch of pictures and write my own book "how to drop a LQ4 into a 64 Land Cruiser with a TH400" and sell it to a couple of people.

There are just too many variables.

I think there are just too many variables.

I KNOW
I KNOW
I KNOW

That is why I said PICK ONE and write THE guide for THAT ONE. Picking one that has readily available components would make the most sense.

It won't be the solution for everyone but it WILL be a solution. What deviations people make from that guide would be up to them but the guide would offer A SOLUTION that is KNOWN to work.

I suppose I could take a bunch of pictures and write my own book "how to drop a LQ4 into a 64 Land Cruiser with a TH400" and sell it to a couple of people.

THERE YOU GO! That's the attitude!

There are even more variables these days, with all of the new Chevy engines, compared to when there was just the SBC. Jim Sickles will still send you a copy of the Downey SBC instruction manual, but it's only a starting point, at best.

Start by reading this AA guide, while I try to locate the Downey guide. Found it!

THANK YOU!... I am always interested in more info and better understanding... Downloaded!

I could write the definitive thread on how not to do it!:hillbilly:

I am getting close to having my build finished. When I finish I will post all the part numbers, and exactly what I did.

I thought it would be done already, but I have spent about a month going through different exhaust manifolds.

I am getting close to having my build finished. When I finish I will post all the part numbers, and exactly what I did.

I thought it would be done already, but I have spent about a month going through different exhaust manifolds.

That would be great info to have here as a reference... THANKS!

I had good luck by looking at all the V-8 swaps I could find, sorta like a picture book for those not wanting to read... Once you have seen a few you get an idea of how you would like to do it (or how you want it done.)

Now if only a few more folks were doing the 2UZ swap... now that one has not been overdone yet.

There are even more variables these days, with all of the new Chevy engines, compared to when there was just the SBC. Jim Sickles will still send you a copy of the Downey SBC instruction manual, but it's only a starting point, at best.
The Downey V8 conversion manual is more step-by-step than other manuals, but was only updated (latest revisions) to cover 1990's up to about 2004 Chevy engines. We closed Downey in 2009, but I still have about 50 of these manuals left- - - just need some postage money!!!

The Downey V8 conversion manual is more step-by-step than other manuals, but was only updated (latest revisions) to cover 1990's up to about 2004 Chevy engines. We closed Downey in 2009, but I still have about 50 of these manuals left- - - just need some postage money!!!

Someone sent me a link... is it the 12 page booklet entitled "Toyota Landcruiser Chevrolet V-8 Conversion Installation Instructions"?

Jim's (Downey). Book is my fave

It's pretty good when it comes to the small block
Chev mated to the Toyota 4spd
Only issues people seem to run into the most
Is when it comes to choosing there clutch pressure plate setup which he also had figured out.
He has all the info needed to get the engine positioned great between the frame rails
For proper firewall clearance when using the Toyota 4 spd and 3 spd. I also used his engine
Positioning guidelines. With my sm465.
I think his later book is the same but it included
Wiring harness /ECM info.

Cheers.

Sent from iPhone :cheers:

Jim's (Downey). Book is my fave

It's pretty good when it comes to the small block
Chev mated to the Toyota 4spd
Only issues people seem to run into the most
Is when it comes to choosing there clutch pressure plate setup which he also had figured out.
He has all the info needed to get the engine positioned great between the frame rails
For proper firewall clearance when using the Toyota 4 spd and 3 spd. I also used his engine
Positioning guidelines. With my sm465.
I think his later book is the same but it included
Wiring harness /ECM info.

^This^
And, he always had good answers to my stupid questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom