V8 Conversion for FJ 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I've read all kinds of tid bits on conversions. I've talked to Man-A-Fre, TLC, Auto Medic, Total Performance and JSA and I've discovered there are many opinions for a Chevy V8 Transplant in my Pristine 1989 FJ62. If any of you out there have done a conversions, please take the time to fill me in on the pit falls.

TBI: everybody says they're great but parts are getting hard to find???

Gen III Vortec with 4160E Tranny: Whats the story on mating this tranny to the stock transfer case? (some say you do this others say you do that)
Whats the story on a 4180E? better? more trouble to adapt?

Gen III: wiring nightmares, how do you make all the stuff work with your toyota stuff? or do you rip it out and stick new Autometer stuff in????

Exhaust? Exhaust? Exhaust? What gives , to header or not to header???

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

Charlie

Welcome Charlie.

You do not say where you live, and do not have it listed in your profile, also, you say that you have talked to all these shops. The state that you live in, or could find yourself lining in someday will dictate things to a point if you plan on driving this on city streets, say in CA or some other "peoples republic of______" that has stringent smog laws..

You will want to go fuel injection, "parts getting hard to find?" Guess I do not really know what you are talking about here....

Here is your info on maiting the t-case to a trans...

http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/063.html

I am not a header guy...I like factory rams horn center dumps

Like these...

http://www.paceparts.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=405&1=407&2=1084

But these are really trick too, and I will be ordering a set here shortly for a swap that I am doing...

http://www.sandersonheaders.com./pagesbypartnum/qp1000a.htm

Good luck!

-Steve

as far as the TBI SBC chevy, you can swing a dead cat around here and hit 15 of them in the yards...they've been selling them to us for about $50 for the entire TBI setup, harness and all...much nicer than the TPI setup Matt pulled...LOL, well the TPI is nicer but so much more complex...

RJ

We are sort of in the same boat decision wise. The current paln is a 98 LT1 4 bolt main, multiport mated to a 700R4 and stock TC. We have the running motor with all the EFI crap and plan to convert it 100% into the 62. Ramhorns for headers with a hi flow WP and custom radiator.

We looked hard at the TBI option. It would be easier, especially if you go with the holley TBI set up. I think the multiport injection will allow us to fine tune it a bit but will be quite a bit more complicated.

We considered the 4160E tranny but I dont think it will hold up long term. That opinion is based on what I have been told not personal experience.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I put a 6.0 vortec from a '00 chevy in my fj60. I outsourced the wiring to fuel injection specialties (great work!). for the exhaust, I used a factory passenger side manifold and a drivers side manifold from a ls1 Camaro. really it all depends on your budget as the gen III motors are going to comand a higher price. also I have the tougher 4l80e rather than the 4l60e. I think the 4l60e would still probably be fine (very similar to the 700r4 as I understand it). Advance adapters has all the adapters you will need to mate the transfercase to the trans and mount it in the vehicle.

good luck and have patience because it is a tough project, but well worth it!

Colin

Welcome Charlie ...
It sounds like you've done the right kind of homework. You didn't mention the use for this vehicle but calling it "pristine" causes me to think mostly road use. A good number of your decisions will be based on that.

Trannies ... the 4L60 is a good tranny used in many suburbans and pickups. Keep it COOL and it will last a long time. The HD version (4L80) came more in 2500 series suburban's and pickups. Again, keep it cool. This is a hefty transmission though.

Engines ... regardless of your choice make cooling it a priority. If the cooling system is set up correctly from the start you will never have problems. Otherwise every hot day will have you worrying about engine/oil temp. Nice radiator (Cleaned), good fan close to the radiator, good water pump, and a well built shroud.

You didn't say if doing the work yourself or hiring it out. If doing the install yourself there can never be enough said about caution when measuring.

Sorry, I'm more familiar with 40's so I'm little help with the specifics but the theme above will make the end result one you can enjoy.

Man what a wide variety of responses. I get the feeling I need to include a little more info on me and the vehicle. So here it is:
Live and work in Santee, California (12 miles east of San Diego)
Play in Baja (San Francisquito) approx. 400 miles south of San Diego
The FJ62 has: Balanced and Blueprinted 3FE with RV Cam (12,000miles on rebuild) TLC Air tube with snorkel ducted into it, Optima, A440F Tranny and Transfer case have 3000miles on total rebuild, trans cooler, trans temp gauge, 2-1/2" OME Suspension lift (complete with anti -inversion greasble shackles-installed by Colin at Man-A-Fre), 38 gallon tank, ARB Front bumper with 3 gallon air tank mounted behind bumper (slick fit), Extreme Aire 4CFM Air Compressor (Aussy) with air chucks and gauges on front bumper and rear Kaymar bumper. Hella aux lights on front bumper with filed out slots so 110 watt Halogen lamps will fit (that way if someone steals the lights I'm not out the big bucks) All Hella Halogen light upgrades for headlights highs/lows, high lift jack on fromt bumper (custom mount I made). 33x12.50 Goodyear MTRs mounted on forged Mickey Thompson Classic I (made by Alcoa, so you can pound out the rim dents when you hit one of those fine Baja rocks) All new upholstered seats with Wet Okole seat covers, 10 disc Kenwood CD player (plays through stock radio so dash not torn up)
I've run from Bahia De Los Angeles to San Francisquito in 2 hours and 15minutes (78 miles of fun-loving Baja road) towing my M-416 Military trailer So my 62 is no trailer queen.

Clarification on Pristine: It a pristine Baja battleship cruiser.

Now on to the reason I'm inquiring about a V8 conversion.

1. I like to tow a 20ft enclosed trailer with my Dune Buggie or my TJ and do more than 31 miles per hour up the grade (Imperial Valley to San Diego) fully floored in 2nd gear
2. If I break an engine part in the Baja, I don't want to wait three day in Guererro Negro for the 3FE parts (Chevy parts are everywhere in Baja)
3. The 3FE going down hill with a strong wind will only get around 12 miles per gallon, the Gen III will get 18 or more dependent on how much go pedal
4. Math 12miles x 38gallon = stop in El Rosario (456 miles) and get gas (if they've got any, if they don't wait and wait and wait for Pemex tanker to show up) 18miles x 38gallon = Guererro Negro (684 miles) They've got tons of gas all the time!!!!!

So please, this is what I need to know, what are the landmines to watch out for in converting and if you have any recommendations on shops to do it. I'd do it myself but I've got one problem....it's called a job and even worse ...it's an office job...yuck

Charlie

4l60e + V8 + towing + desert heat = trouble, in my opinion.

I would look into other options for tranny. 4l80e is much beefier, and, of course, more $.

My .02

Good luck!

[quote author=Charlie link=board=1;threadid=11039;start=msg99760#msg99760 date=1075999715]
4. Math 12miles x 38gallon = stop in El Rosario (456 miles) and get gas (if they've got any, if they don't wait and wait and wait for Pemex tanker to show up) 18miles x 38gallon = Guererro Negro (684 miles) They've got tons of gas all the time!!!!!
Charlie
[/quote]

Don't count on 18 mpg...

I don't know squat about v8 conversions but the construction company I work for runs about 10-12 fleet trucks that get replaced every 150k to 200k+ (2 to 4 years depending on the guy). Our stuff mainly gets highway miles but sometimes gets heavy tow use and probably usually treated like s***.
So, in my experience the 1/2 tons trannies, 4L60e, suck. Not one has made it to 150k. We haven't had to replace a 4L80e yet- I had one with a 454 and towed quite a few 8000# (Bobcat+trailer) loads without a problem.
Also- on Vortec350's - we've had quite a few blow manifold gaskets and start dumping coolant. Two of those times the coolant was dumped into the oil galley and by the time it was noticed the motor had run on a 50/50 oil/water mix for a while and washed out the mains. We rebuilt one and it's still running with 300k on the original 4l80.

18mpg?

Yukon/350/4L60e = 15avg 17 highway
2500PU/350/4L80e = 13avg 15hwy
same + heavy foot = 11mpg

2500/454 + towing = pouring gas out on ground.

Wow! reading all these reponses is making me lean torwards selling the 62 and buying a truck. Anyone one want to buy it? I'd let it go for $17K
Charlie

[quote author=Charlie link=board=1;threadid=11039;start=msg99760#msg99760 date=1075999715]
...I've run from Bahia De Los Angeles to San Francisquito in 2 hours and 15minutes (78 miles of fun-loving Baja road) towing my M-416 Military trailer So my 62 is no trailer queen.

Clarification on Pristine: It a pristine Baja battleship cruiser.

Now on to the reason I'm inquiring about a V8 conversion.

1. I like to tow a 20ft enclosed trailer with my Dune Buggie or my TJ and do more than 31 miles per hour up the grade (Imperial Valley to San Diego) fully floored in 2nd gear
2. If I break an engine part in the Baja, I don't want to wait three day in Guererro Negro for the 3FE parts (Chevy parts are everywhere in Baja)
3. The 3FE going down hill with a strong wind will only get around 12 miles per gallon, the Gen III will get 18 or more dependent on how much go pedal

So please, this is what I need to know, what are the landmines to watch out for in converting and if you have any recommendations on shops to do it. I'd do it myself but I've got one problem....it's called a job and even worse ...it's an office job...yuck

Charlie
[/quote]

Charlie, sounds like a really nice truck, but I gotta ask - if you have an M416 and a 20' enclosed trailer, why don't you just carry enough gas to drive to Los Cabos?

Here's my math for mileage in my FJ60...

Install new H55F - $3000 (I already did this)

Buy roof rack or rear tire mount to move the spare - approx $800 for a quality (ARB and Kaymar) deal.

Install 40 gal replacement tank - $500 to $600

Total (not including H55F) = Approx. $1400

Alternative = buy NEW fully tricked out M416 with lockable top, built to run on LC wheels behind the FJ60 and carry mucho gas, water, spares (2), tents, shower, etc., etc. = about $1500.

What is the cost of the V8 upgrade? My guess is $4000 buy the time you're done.

Just a thought - tho' I would guess that the real justification is the much greater towing power of the 350.

Mike S

MikeS..

Are you assuming he is going to pull the M416 and the 20ft enclosed at the same time, or what is your idea with that?

I gather that the 62 is the tow rig...

Get a Cummins, and be done with it.

-Steve

Clarification on the trailers. I have three. one for Baja (the M416) Military tricked out with spare gas tanks, 15 gal water tank, spare tire and rack. Can sleep in and I have a shower attachment also new springs from Natioanl and Gas Shocks (it's a 1959 but it's built like a .....tank). Two, I have a 20ft enclosed trailer for my toys that I take out to the desert (not Baja, it wouldn't last more than two miles on the roads I go on). And the last one is a small utility trailer that I use to haul my Kodiak Quad around for servicing and such.

I thinking I'll use the third trailer to haul all of these comments to the dump

geez ........how about some straight info on what I originally posted...please

[quote author=Charlie link=board=1;threadid=11039;start=msg100037#msg100037 date=1076026089]

I thinking I'll use the third trailer to haul all of these comments to the dump

geez ........how about some straight info on what I originally posted...please

[/quote]

There is an awful lot if info here for you Charlie, and some more options on other ideas and thing that people have done or thought long and hard about.

Perhaps you are asking to do more with your truck than it was designed for. I certainly would not pull a 20' enclosed trailer with a TJ in it, behind a 60 series, gas, diesel, V8, or whatever. Tail wagging the dog Charlie.

If you are serious about pulling this load, and it is going to be the primary load behind your vehicle, perhaps it is time for you to think about getting into a vehicle more suited for your needs, instead of trying to ask more from something that would appear to be taxed to the limits trying to perform your tasks, given the information shared by you in an earlier post.

Oh, and on your junk comment, if you give more specific and helpful information as to the intended use, your location of use, etc., instead of assuming that everyone that you are talking to is standing next to you, and knows exactly what the hell you are thinking, you might get a little bit more concise information right off the bat.

Lastly, you are welcome for all the free information, and hopefully your tuition and grief on this project is not the same or more than what others have already paid on their education, that they are so willing to share with you, and everyone else, and you are so quick to criticize.

Good luck!

-Steve

Charlie,

I agree with Steve. Maybe your asking too much from the ol' 60. I live in CO and have spent many 'hours' slowly going over mountain passes. Monarch Pass, and Red Mountain Pass are fun 2nd or 3rd Gear 30-40mph max--And I'm not towing anything... It is sad when you can't keep up with the RVs... These '60s are not fast machines :)

You could take your $7000 and bid on this... It's the right year and has an engine that might be more compliant with your needs. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458760587

But in all seriousness, I just spent a lot of $ on body work, and I'm now looking at different upgrades. I've thought about doing a v8 conversion, but it just wouldn't be the same truck :'( Some say, you'll be removing the soul from your truck.

I hope you work through the dilemma, and please keep us posted! It is all good information even your decision making process is good information!

In the end, it will be your decision to live with, for good or bad. But what is most important with these cruisers is--DO NOT make a LOGICAL decision! Owning an old FJ60 is not logical to begin with. It will not be good for _your_ soul, let your emotions choose. Make your choice on what will bring happiness to your desert adventures. :cheers:

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11039;start=msg100025#msg100025 date=1076024787]
MikeS..

Are you assuming he is going to pull the M416 and the 20ft enclosed at the same time, or what is your idea with that?

I gather that the 62 is the tow rig...

Get a Cummins, and be done with it.

-Steve

[/quote]

Steve - I assumed that the FJ62 is the tow vehicle, towing EITHER the M416 or the enclosed trailer. My point is, simply, that you can carry a lot of gas in a trailer, so the "how far I can drive?" is not the real issue. Of course, you could put the M416 INSIDE the enclosed trailer...

Charlie: I don't have a dog in this fight, but if you decide to swap for the V8, or a 6 cylinder Toyota turbo diesel, which would make a real hauler out of your FJ62, can I have your current engine? Sounds like it would be outstanding for my applications.

Mike S

Assuming that there is room, and that he has not converted inside space to living area, shop, or something else..MikeS.

Not being there, and Charlie not sharing info until he realizes that none of us are omnipotent, creates these very situations of people reading into and assuming what is meant, when important information is lacking. As I stated in my initial reply to his first post, smog laws are going to dictate an awful lot of what can, and can not be done for an engine swap, and low and behold, where is Charlie located, the worst possible state to perform any kind of modification to a motor vehicle's means of power.

Look,

I am not going after Charlie, you, or anyone. I do find it rather comical that a new person comes out here and makes a snide comment about staying on topic. This whole thread is on topic, and there is a lot of good information that is shared by everyone. Again, not sharing all the info relevant to a scenario that someone is looking for advice on, is not going to get you anything other than frustrated, and more misinformation.

The fact that he is asking a lot from a vehicle that was not ever designed to operate as a tugboat is still a valid issue that is going to need to be addressed. Adding a V8, or any engine, to a vehicle that is near or over the limits of towing capacity does not increase the ability to tow more weight in a safe, controlled manner. A stock TJ is 4K lbs., the trailer is at least 1K, and we do not have any idea what else is in the trailer, nor in the tow vehicle. If the truck is loaded to the gills with gear, as is the trailer, it is very possible that he is going down the road well over 13K, which would explain very clearly as to why he has a hard time getting the vehicle to exceed 35 MPH.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for all the good feed back. Many good points were made, sorry if I was not concise, I will try harder next time. I'm now leaning towards just buying a truck to tow my enclosed trailer and keep the FJ for drivng the Baja. The best point made was the comments about what the FJ's capacities are (I had this mental picture of me stuffing all my s_ _ t in my trailer and coming down the hill to the desert floor with them brakes a smokin!!!!!.)

Most of all I am really impressed with this website........it's active and there is the same passion in it as I have for my FJ in this forum.

I'll update

Thanks again!! Charlie

(I had this mental picture of me stuffing all my s_ _ t in my trailer and coming down the hill to the desert floor with them brakes a smokin!!!!!.)

Good point. The stock brakes on my 62 don't really inspire a whole lot of confidence empty. Back when I was towing Bobcats, tractors, and the occaisonal mini trackhoe I was really going through rotors and pads fast and that was on the heavy axle package. It kinda turned out to be cheaper to move the stuff with med duty flatsbeds and such compared the costs of running our pickups to the max.

:Thread hikack warning:
On another note, I agree this is a great site and it has already helped me out and entertained, but I wonder why some folks around here are so sensitive??
I do alot of hanging out on fast boat sites and you gotta have thick skin there. If any of yall want to go through de-sensitivity training lemme know and I'll set ya up. Beware of the site in my sig - it can get rough in there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom