V8 Conversion for FJ 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Sorry Dog link=board=1;threadid=11039;start=msg100395#msg100395 date=1076090652]
:Thread hikack warning:
On another note, I agree this is a great site and it has already helped me out and entertained, but I wonder why some folks around here are so sensitive??
I do alot of hanging out on fast boat sites and you gotta have thick skin there. If any of yall want to go through de-sensitivity training lemme know and I'll set ya up. Beware of the site in my sig - it can get rough in there...
[/quote]

We are trying to protect this site from becoming just another place for spouting off. We are CRUISERHEADS, we help each other as best we can. We agree to disagree, but we don't need to throw insults around just to make some point.

There are a couple of ways to enter a community. You can bust in with guns blazing and tell every one how it was, how it is, and how it's going to be. Consequences be damned. It's a free world ain't it?

Or you can hang around awhile and quietly develop an ear for what's going on. Then contribute when you can with something useful. And with respect.

Why should we be forced to barricade ourselves (by developing "thick skin") just so we can endure insults? ???

Or something like that. :)

SORRY DOG did ya meet JUNk yet????? this is an awesome site, a ton of people helped me out along the way and even helped me get some parts...and junk well he just made me laugh...
thanks fellow cruiser heads
-al

I ain't criticizing the site. Love this place.

I was just commenting on how some folks get mad easy. I don't throw out insults unless somebody calls me out first- even then it's just fun.

Anyway - don't mind me - occasionally the troll in me gets out. :D

I purchased my FJ62 with the chevy 350 and chevy 700 overdrive transmission already dropped into the cruiser. The headers that came on the engine were made by some backyard welder. Make sure you spend plenty of time deciding on a good set of headers and before you mount them make sure they have a machined flat edge on the flange. I personally went with the ceramic hugger headers from man-a-fre ($240.00) and order locking header bolts from a company out in california ($20-$25.00).
The motor came with the Holley Commander 950 fuel injection system. DO NOT BY THIS!!! I can not tell you how many times this system screwed up on us. It would cut off at a red light then wouldn't crank until a few hours or minutes later. This system is really tempermental, not to mention you need a laptop to work the system and tweek it the way you want the motor to run. We got so frustrated, we went with the Edlebrock 600 cfm carb. and everything has been running excellent, so far.
Take into account your water temp. I replaced the thermostat with a 180 or 185, can't remember but it's one of those temperatures. I also replaced the stock radiator with a Griffin aluminum radiator. The only thing left I need is a puller fan from flex-a-lite.com.
Personally, these things have helped in my rig, but you may find other things that benefit you and your rig.

Good luck with your project....

Great advise, I did the Vortec/4L60E thing to my 62. It is a better driver in most cases on the road. Remember the vortecs run hotter for emmisions reasons so hot my not be too hot and I remember the 3FEI was pretty warm too, needs a carb fan.

Charlie,
Did you say you had the RV cam in the 3FE? And you live in California? Have you ever smoged the FJ-62 in the last 2 years with the RV cam in? What was the result??????

Also, so are you guys saying that the 4L60E is not the tranny I would want to put into my FJ-62 for a v-8 swap? We will be using the stock T-case but a new 350 and an american tranny, but which one? for wheeling and DDing, not too much towing.

Why not use the stock 440 tranny? Will it just disintigrate under the V8's awesome power? Even if you're not towing?

I like the V-8 to A440F idea but the cruiser is my roomate's and he doesn't want to spend $1000 on the adapter then have the tranny die, it has over 240K. He was thinking of the NV4500, crawl box, and cruiser t-case, but his budget may not be that high! I would love to try the Slee A440F with a V-8. That would be ideal if it was in your budget. I will try this in my FJ-62 one day but I just rebuilt the 3FE so not some day soon unfortunatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom