V8 Adapter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 83 FJ60, so it should be the short H42 tranny (vs. the 4"? longer H42 in the later model FJ60's).

I know the Mark's adapter (4 7/8" thick) mates a SBC to the H42 tranny and puts it into the correct location for distributor clearance and fan placement. ~$1200

If I get the AA adapter, 712532 - $379.50, it requires the motor to be moved 3-1/2" forward to clear the distributor and for fan placement.

Q1:
If I get a later model H42 or H55F (which is 4" longer than my current tranny) and an AA adapter, I won't have to move my tcase and get new driveshafts due to the tranny length change?
Q2:
Is the shifter location in the same spot on the early and late model H42's? If so, it still puts the shifter in a bad spot?

Last edited:
NV4500 question

Corbet, thanks for the response. I thought of going with the NV4500. If I put this into an early FJ60 I will have to move the Tcase backwards, change driveshafts and buy $1200 worth of adapters (not to mention the SBC and NV4500 cost). Correct?

Will a later model SBC (vortec and such) allow better firewall clearance due to lack of distributor?

Has anyone else taken the approach of modfiying the firewall? Did you move the radiator back or just make a longer shroud?

lots of options, but it seems the best choice is to go with the Mark's adaptor. that's what lead me to my decision. i'm doing mine (5.7 vortec) with the mark's adaptor either this winter or spring (as the parts list fills up and as schedule plays out)i am keeping my h-55 that i did last winter though, so you might make some choices. (NV4500 will require driveshaft mods too, but at least motor and i think t-case will be right with mark's) i'd double check some other posts to be sure.

HTH.

IMO engine placement is the most important part of any engine swap. That being said the Mark's is the easiest solution.

I choose to go with the ranger overdrive for the same reasons. I did not have to relocate the trans or transfer case. However this set up places the SBC very close to the radiator. Short water pump is required. I am running an electric fan, no shroud. I need to upgrade to an AL radiator. I get a little hot sometimes.

SBC/NV4500, only adapter required would be for the TC. I have never looked up the cost but $1200 sounds too high? Yes, you would have to relocate the TC and have new drive lines made. Advantages here would be in the gearing. NV4500 has much lower 1st gear.

I do not have any complaints with my ranger set up but like I posted earlier, if I were to do it again, I'd use a NV4500.

If your tring to do this on the cheap then go with the marks. Like I said less headaches. And headaches are what add up to unforseen $$$.

If you want an overdrive and low gearing then get a NV4500.

I do not know anything about the clearance issues with a late model SBC with no distrib. However with this set up keep in mind you will need to wire up a ECM and all associated sensors. Exhaust manifolds/header options are less.

More important than access to the dizzy is airflow over the engine & down the firewall. Don't jam it just because you don't want to get your driveshafts shortened/lengthened - that isn't expensive.

Clearance to the steering box is important, so consider ofsetting the engine to the passenger side. Also, Corvette Ramshorn headers will take up the least amount of space & won't rob you of performance (if you're still thinking 5.7). Plus they'll last forever without the headaches of header bolts coming loose, & are cheap if you look around. Find an old Vette head to tell you the right kind - they're called "center dump" if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom