60 series with chevy v8 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I aquired a 1984 60 series with a chevy 350 TBI the 4 speed tranny with a ranger III overdrive. it is noisy even after changing oil in tranny, transfer case, and overdrive unit, also acts like sycros are needing replaced, parts as far as I know are no longer available for the ranger and synchros for 1st and 2nd are no longer available, or maybe 3rd and 4th? anyway, any ideas on drivetrain swap? nv 4500, h55 and what will i need to complete those swaps? will the bell housing and drive lines that i currently have work?
I don't want to break the bank on a swap, I still need to rebuild knuckles and want to rebuild both axles so trying to convince the wife in spending more money and time on a vehicle she won't drive is more work than projects completed.
Thanks all.

The 4500 is much stronger but but there's no cheap way once you do adapters. the cheapest solution is find a used trans /transfer combo and
forget the ranger. With a tbi and a 4speed, no overdrive, the V-8 will run all day at 75mph without strain. You'll still get 15 mpgs on a highway
despite no overdrive.
If offroading is important, the non USA version is better. First gear in the USA 4 speed sucks off road.
If you don't mind spending more money , the 4500 or a 700r would be my choice. 3:1 or 4:1 gears in the t-case with the 700r are nice.
Those options require adapters, the 4500 moreso than the 700r since the auto bolts directly to the engine without a bellhousing. You'll have a grand
in adapter related for a 700r and the easiest solution for t-case shifters is the twin stick kits. The other things you'll are a shifter and trans oil cooler.
The 4500 will require bell housing and t-case adapters , clutch and shifter mods.
Whichever route you choose , you will have drive shaft mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom