V-8 Conversion Cooling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK,

I have a 1986 FJ60 with a 1999 5.7 Vortec . Currently I run dual electric radiator fans from a ford v-6 contour.

I want to adapt over to the radiator fan and fan clutch from the 1999 GM setup(SUV and pickup) .

looking for pictures and details on what others have done to cool their trucks with a mechanical radiator and matching fan clutch. Would like to know specifics for trhe 5.7 vortec but interested in other GM V-8 swap info too.

Looking for details on your fan shroud, radiator fan and fan clutch. As some may know the 5.7 of this year model runs the large single "nut" version of the fan clutches. Did you have to lower the radiator, did you have to run some crazy fan, what modifications had to happen? What hoses worked, did you have issues with cleanace at the radiator water necks?

So please post up details, links, pictures etc.

Pics show GM clutch and fan
Fan.JPG
Fan-Clutch.JPG

thanks....

I use a cool little software pkg called "snag-it"... basically if you can see it on your monitor...this software will allow you to save it as a pic or various formats, can also capture video and all kinds of stuff. Very useful to "snag" pics or diagrams for discussion purposes.

I can PM you some step by step instructions on how to actually post pics to the forum if you want... let me know. it helps to be a silver star member...

Fiberglass Fan Shroud

Elbert,

Here is the first round of pictures. I basically stuck to the instructions on the DIY site. I have a custom aluminum radiator from man-a-fre (Ron Davis). I used the stock radiator mounting points to mount the shroud. Also, you notice that the shroud is in black and in red. I made two. I ended up using the red one and finished it with bondo and black paint to make it look finished.

Hope this helps you.

Chino
boards.jpg
Resin.jpg
cutout.jpg

you running the stock radiator?

This is SUPER cool! Thanks for posting these instructions.

no.. I have the ron davis radiator too. It mounts in the stock location.

Pics showing current fan setup and radiator.
DSC00358.jpg
DSC00359.jpg
DSC00361.jpg

383 with mechanical fan and no shroud. no overheating problems even wheeling so far but hasn't been real warm out. Out of curiousity why do you want to abandon your electric fans? And the DIY fan shroud is very cool:beer:

I want to reduce the electrical load on the truck.. When its hot...both fans are screaming...and when you need to use the winch too...its not a good deal. Basically I want to go the simple route if its not to painful.

I do think the Ford Contour fans are probally the best solution given the avaliable space...or potentially the dual SPAL setup 11 or 12 inch fans. I also think the Mark VIII fan is pretty ausome, but it appears to take up some space (relative to how thick it is).

Generally I belive the mechanical fan and fan clutch with proper shroud are almost impossible to best if space permits.

Generally I belive the mechanical fan and fan clutch with proper shroud are almost impossible to best if space permits.[/QUOTE]

I share your opinion. There is no way that any electric fan is going to match a mechanical fan driven by the crank pulley. That defies logic.

I don't disagree that a mechanical fan is the most desirable option, but it certainly is possible to build a 12VDC powered electric fan that would pull more air than a crank driven fan. It just won't do it as efficiently since it has more energy conversions than does the mechanical fan.

Yeah... I'm familiar with the electric fan vs. mechanical fan discussion. I don't want to debate all of that. I think a proper sized and quality electircal fan setup (either dual fans or large single fan) will work fine, but it has to be a good one...and you can't buy those for pocket change. As I've stated numerous times the SPAL products are impressive, the dual fan setup I have right now from the ford contour is impressive given it's size & diminions. I also think the Lincoln Mark VIII fan setup is a good solution. The biggest plus fo relectrical fans (if they are setup to cool well) is that at idle or low rpm they can work at 100% of their power, which enables the best cooling at the engine speeds one experiences quite often with off-road... low rpms and idle conditions at times, plus the situation of very low vehicle speeds where there is not much "ambient" air flow across the radiator. I noticved that the new GM large SUV and pickups are using electric fans (large dual fan setup with integrated shroud).

Well designed meachanical radiator fan with matching fan clutch is about impossible to beat (along with shroud).

I plan to use the fan and fan clutch pictured at the top of this thread, to include most likely putting a large electric fan in front of the radiator & condensor to "push" air when needed...(A/C or high temp)..

Looking for what's worked for you!... I hope to have A/C working by end of month July... I may try to swap over to mechanical fan and clutch to see how much clearance I have between fan and radiator core, last time I checked with a semi-mock-up it was very close. May be able to adjust left and right engine mounts to move engine a little closer to the driver side without too much "pain". I noticed the other day that wih the marks adapbter I have a lot of clearnce between firewall and distributor. I may get my friend invovled again to see what we can do (as simple as possible) to move eninge back a couple of inches. Which would require potentail change to engine moutns, crossmember, drive-shafts, speedo cable, maybe gearshift access in floorboard. Maybe I can gain just enough clearnace by adjusting front motor mounts. I don't want to be impaling the pretty $$$ radiator with the mechanical fan.

Last edited:
Did your donor originally have an electric fan? Reason that I ask is that my TPI donor had two. The diagram labels them as 'A' and 'B'. I plan to put a pusher electric fan on the truck and wire it to one of those control wires in addition to the mech. clutch fan. I suspect that the 'B' fan only comes on when the 'A' fan isn't keeping up or when the A/C is on, so my plan is to start with the 'B' control wire. If this proves correct then the ECU will monitor coolant temps and have some fan control. I hope to avoid needing a manual over-ride on that relay.

Did your donor originally have an electric fan? Reason that I ask is that my TPI donor had two. The diagram labels them as 'A' and 'B'. I plan to put a pusher electric fan on the truck and wire it to one of those control wires in addition to the mech. clutch fan. I suspect that the 'B' fan only comes on when the 'A' fan isn't keeping up or when the A/C is on, so my plan is to start with the 'B' control wire. If this proves correct then the ECU will monitor coolant temps and have some fan control. I hope to avoid needing a manual over-ride on that relay.

No...the donor was a 1999 Yukon....engine came with mechanical fan and fan clutch.

As I recall back from my GM days.... long ago..common practice was that with GM...one fan would be controlled by temp and would come on based on temp. 2nd fan would be engaged with A/C on command regardless of temp, both fans would be engaged when and if certain temp threshold is reached.

Yeah... I'm familiar with the electric fan vs. mechanical fan discussion. I don't want to debate all of that. I think a proper sized and quality electircal fan setup (either dual fans or large single fan) will work fine, but it has to be a good one...and you can't buy those for pocket change. As I've stated numerous times the SPAL products are impressive, the dual fan setup I have right now from the ford contour is impressive given it's size & diminions. I also think the Lincoln Mark VIII fan setup is a good solution. The biggest plus fo relectrical fans (if they are setup to cool well) is that at idle or low rpm they can work at 100% of their power, which enables the best cooling at the engine speeds one experiences quite often with off-road... low rpms and idle conditions at times, plus the situation of very low vehicle speeds where there is not much "ambient" air flow across the radiator. I noticved that the new GM large SUV and pickups are using electric fans (large dual fan setup with integrated shroud).

Looking for what's worked for you!... QUOTE]

383 SBC, 19X26 AFCO radiator, hi-volume H20 pump, hi-flow thermostat, tube fenders with no skirts

I started with the MK VIII and it flows a significant amount of air. For all the reasons mentioned above it worked as desired. there were a few side effects though. The underhood temps would get high while crawling, the engine temp was fine but the fuel would be boiling in the carb. I tried different spacers and isolaters to no avail. The floor boards and tranny tunnel would also get very warm. I insulated the tranny tunnel with foil backed adhesive fiberglass and it helped. Another problem with the big electric was the current draw, especially at crawling speeds. If you were out at night and had lights (H4 headlights) on etc. a standard GM alternator had trouble keeping up with the electrical load. I also tried a high output alternator from 4alterstart.com, it lasted awhile then died, had better luck with the lifetime warrantied Autodroid version.

I got a 7 blade flex fan to try and it pulled a good bit of air but wouldn't cool enough without a shroud (in retrospect with a shroud it would prolly work OK) then I got a 7 blade clutch fan from a friend and hooked it up for comparison. Even without a shroud the 7 blade clutch fan would keep cool in everything but hot weather (Florida) in stop and go traffic. It moved arguably more air than the MK VIII at idle, definately more with a blip of the throttle. This is from the air pushed out the vent by the cowl. It also cooled the floorboards noticably and reduced the heat under the hood substantially.

The KISS principle seemed to work well, no relays, less electric load, etc.

As I recall back from my GM days.... long ago..common practice was that with GM...one fan would be controlled by temp and would come on based on temp. 2nd fan would be engaged with A/C on command regardless of temp, both fans would be engaged when and if certain temp threshold is reached.

that is how mine is hooked up, except i don't have a/c. using contour fans and relays the computer controls them well. I've only had them both come on a couple times, and i could watch the temperature drop on the gauge. my 5.3 runs cooler then my 2F did according to my gauge. the needle hasn't gone over halfway up the gauge yet.

I've run the mechanical fan no shroud for a year on mine in Arizona at 115 without issue so without a/c the mechanical fan is awesome. But this year I finally got the a/c hooked up and it overwhelms it in minutes. The day I hooked up the a/c it was 111 but I want to make sure this thing will take 120 if it had to. I'm defiantly going to have to build a shroud if I want to use my a/c ever. I also have separate coolers for the trans and oil and I'm going to move the trans cooler off of the radiator. That should get me better air flow to the condenser and radiator.

I'm hoping the shroud takes care of business but if not its time for a Ron Davis radiator.

No photos of mine, but I used the stock radiator and stock GM fan clutch assembly. I made a simple shroud from sheet metal and it was the business. Never had a problem with AC on in LA traffic...

I too had very close clearance between the blades and the radiator, but it never caused any issues.

that is how mine is hooked up, except i don't have a/c. using contour fans and relays the computer controls them well. I've only had them both come on a couple times, and i could watch the temperature drop on the gauge. my 5.3 runs cooler then my 2F did according to my gauge. the needle hasn't gone over halfway up the gauge yet.

What I 've noticed with the above fan setup on my truck is that the drivers side fan alone will cool the truck by itself in most situations.

My fans are controlled by a SPAL temp sender switch and both come on and off at the same time and run 100% power.

On the road...now that its "hot"...the fans will pull the temp down to the thermostat rating of 180F and turn off (as designed). Off road when really working the truck hard the fans will keep the truck generally below 195F now that its hot.

Winter time.... truck generally runs 180F or so, and on the hwy the fans normally don't even come on.

I probally need to setup something to better control air flow scross the condensor and radiator at speed. I've seen where other guys used aluminium or sections of rubber-like material to assist with this.

No A/C yet so I don't know given present setup how A/C will impact. Of course A/C will add some additional issues with temp control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom