UZJ 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wha? I think the submissions for photo entries into TT is a bit stringent. Not sure I understand why if a photo was posted here, it's not eligible for TT?

because 100% of the TLCA readership is sure to have read all 2.9 million posts on the forum and have every photo memorized

(I don't fully understand the policy either...I'd bet less than 10% of TLCA members are ACTIVE on the forum)

...I'd bet less than 10% of TLCA members are ACTIVE on the forum)

Sounds like a survey. You have a slot in the profile for TLCA number. How about a count of those that admit to being a member?

yeah, was sorting on that now....need to do a database search on it tho...more of a PITA

and my point was ACTIVE....most folks aren't regular readers....and miss many of the tech pics/articles...

Better consider those pix out of the question... :rolleyes:

:D

I just picked up a new to me 99 100 series.

I will be building it up for self sufficent long range travel and documenting every step of the process so others can use it as a resource.

I will submit the build articles to Trails, because i feel TLCA and Trails are both dedicated to promoting the truck, sport, and lifestyle and do it in a positive way and i want to do my part to promote them as well!

Few Pics Of "The Victim:

hundo007_resize.jpg

hundo013_resize.jpg

hundo014_resize.jpg

We publish a perfectly good newsletter without repeating photos that have been on the internet. If we can do this and consistently publish fresh material, I don't see any reason why we would choose to do otherwise. That said, I'm a contractor for TLCA and if TLCA wants to change the policy, I would certainly abide by that decision.

TJK

(Oh -- thanks for the sarcasm, Woody. :rolleyes:)

Looks like a spirited thread here, which offers the opportunity for me to put my foot in my mouth …

Submitting content:
I think the thing to remember about submitting content to the magazine is that you won't have anything published if you don't submit content. So if you have concerns about what to write about, definitely ask. The answers Todd responds with aren't meant to discourage you from writing and submitting, but rather to help you submit something that hasn't been in the magazine many times before. Or if you want to submit content that has been in the magazine before, there may be a couple ways to put a new spin on it.

That's the message to take.

And it also helps to have a thick skin. Just because like my articles/ideas, doesn't mean everyone else will. But that won't stop me from submitting content.

Copyright/submission policies:
I also think the submission and copyright policy is very stringent. However, in communicating with Todd about a submission I'd already published in my own paper, I was forced to look at that story differently. In rewriting for TT, I like to think I came away with a better story. The other thing it does is it gets people to take more photos of their rigs and adventures. Come up with a set for forum posts, and a set for magazine submissions. Lot simpler and cost effective with digital cameras though.

Online content:
That's the current struggle for everyone in the publishing industry. How much to put online vs. undermining the print product. The philosophy now is, everything in print and more needs to be online. It's all about content. Readers want content, online readers want more content. Then you have the quandary of how to pay for that — extra guest columns, photo slideshows, videos, blogs, and a web site platform and staff that can do all that.

With this industry becoming so web focused, we've changed our paradigm to use our print product as a portal to our web site. However, we like to put our best content in print to entice readers to our site.

Trails is a different animal because it's goal isn't to make money. I think it's more to cover operating and distribution costs first, then use any revenue to put back into the operation while reporting on the happenings within TLCA and its membership. I doubt TT's goal is to have a 27 percent profit margin.

One thing that might help TT with the print edition is do use a little content from TLCA online forums. Depends on how you want to package it, but make it a tool to get people from print to web. You already do this the other direction, web to print. Both web and print have value, make them work together to increase the value of both.

The main problem with putting more and fresh material on the website is someone having the time to do it. We're all part time and/or volunteers. It's hard to find enough hours in the day to get done what is currently on our agendas.

I have relaxed things a bit over the years though. Ken's article in the March/April issue appeared elsewhere in a different form with different photos. I have another article that appeared overseas that I'll run later in year. So things are evolving.

TJK

The main problem with putting more and fresh material on the website is someone having the time to do it. We're all part time and/or volunteers. It's hard to find enough hours in the day to get done what is currently on our agendas.

I have relaxed things a bit over the years though. Ken's article in the March/April issue appeared elsewhere in a different form with different photos. I have another article that appeared overseas that I'll run later in year. So things are evolving.

TJK

I'm with you there. I get that. Web sites require the same amount of effort and staff that print products do. Just because it's a web site, doesn't mean it's easier to produce. Just don't have the print costs.

If the TLCA wants more out of both platforms, someone somewhere is going to have to bankroll it. You guys do a great job, and I'll be working on my local club members to help them contribute to TT in the future. This is a great publication, and a great way to see how others play and see the world.

In my case, I am speaking of submitting an article with a stock 100 as a featured vehicle in the article. That article would have been on a back country, remote area adventure. However if your rig isn't modified, it seems the attitude is mostly don't bother us with your stock vehicle. That is how I take the original reply to my post on this. That's why I am not going to bother with Toyota Trails and send it off to another magazine that is stock 4wd friendly. I plan to make some major modifications to my 100, but that sort of thing takes a lot of money, and time. Once I have it modified the way I want it, I'll then submit it to TT for readers rigs or something like that. Til then, I'll be just an avid reader.

Last edited:
Nothing personal, but I'll wait until you get it modded. :D

In my case, I am speaking of submitting an article with a stock 100 as a featured vehicle in the article. That article would have been on a back country, remote area adventure. However if your rig isn't modified, it seems the attitude is mostly don't bother us with your stock vehicle. That is how I take the original reply to my post on this. That's why I am not going to bother with Toyota Trails and send it off to another magazine that is stock 4wd friendly. I plan to make some major modifications to my 100, but that sort of thing takes a lot of money, and time. Once I have it modified the way I want it, I'll then submit it to TT for readers rigs or something like that. Til then, I'll be just an avid reader.

I decided that this trip was interesting enough to warrant writing an article and submitting it to TT with proper photographs. If it gets published I am sure readers will appreciate what a stock 100 can do off road, and learn more about how much fun can be had in West Texas. I took a few GPS coordinates to submit as well.

On my way home from Ft. Davis Texas in a few minutes. I just got the Cruiser packed and ready to head to the house.

:beer:

My article is coming along well. I expect the editor will probably want to chop a little off here and there. I am sure it will be too long, but better more info than not enough. It was a fun and exciting trip.
:bounce:

Forget that. send Todd 15,000 words and let him figure it out. :flipoff2: that's what I do. okay really i don't but maybe i'm pretty indifferent about my 'voice' or just trust todd's judgement too much but i just send in what i think is a polished product and don't really worry about what he does to it. the content of trails speaks to his talents as an editor.

to the original poster i think you are making a lot of assumptions on what todd will accept and use based upon you're perceptions. over the years there have been many articles on stock trucks, even cover photos like nolens 55 a few years back. one of my favorites that, right now i can't recall the names, was the stock'ish' fj40 build of a father and son. Todd used one of my articles that didn't have photos or deal with specific trucks at all.

The TLCA is it's members. some of those members drive unmodded 100 series, others drive buggies with $8k axles on them. there has always been and always will be room for both. i think TJK balances the content very well (although maybe a bit to fj heavy recently but i've also missed the last 3 issues) so submit something and see what happens. Take it from a dude that had the first tacoma ever to be on the cover. If the words are good and the story is intrigueing Todd will use it. It helps if you bribe him with some live bluegrass too.:whoops:
dmc

Last edited:
A good writing tip I try to remember is to show the drama, the conflict in the story. Granted, there may not be much drama in any one story, but there should be some challenging element in there. The great conflicts are man vs. machine, man vs. nature, man vs. man (or self). Seems like all of those conflicts come into play on any trail adventure.

Also think of character and plot when you write. Who are the characters, and what's the plot. The more you write, the easier it gets.

I consider those things first, then technical stuff comes into play (rigs, mods, experience levels).

When you're done writing it, read it. Have someone else read it, make suggestions, revise, read again, then ship it.

OK, so that's unsolicited advice, but it's served me well. Hope it does the same for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom