Using a fish scale to set wheel bearing preload (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just do it already. I've seen less discussion on what tires to buy. :).

All in good fun, your over thinking. And just as an FYI the first time I did this I used the fish scale deal. I ended up going to Cruise Moab wheeling for a week not knowing. Came home found the problem 1500 miles later and reset them with no damage.

Typed poorly from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Just do it already. I've seen less discussion on what tires to buy. :).

All in good fun, your over thinking. And just as an FYI the first time I did this I used the fish scale deal. I ended up going to Cruise Moab wheeling for a week not knowing. Came home found the problem 1500 miles later and reset them with no damage.

I thought the whole point of I8MUD was to waste time like this. Is that wrong? Tell me now, because I am about to start a new multi page thread about whether I should replace the $3.00 end cap I buggered up.

I thought the whole point of I8MUD was to waste time like this. Is that wrong? Tell me now, because I am about to start a new multi page thread about whether I should replace the $3.00 end cap I buggered up.

This is exactly what I thought as well:confused:
Awaiting pointless end cap thread with an eagerness that is difficult to contain:hillbilly:

Wait, hold on one second, you guys can get those end caps for $3.00; my dealer wants $3.24 +shipping. :mad:

And, I did the "feel" method. No issues thus far. (Not on the cap)

Wait, hold on one second, you guys can get those end caps for $3.00; my dealer wants $3.24 +shipping. :mad:

Yes, but real deal is the high gloss JDM cap. Those are more money, and you will need a dealer to special order it, but they are so worth it.

I have been through the problem with the buggered end cap but dont let the dealer rape you for $3+..

Red/Green showed me the answer

9-9-2004_phil_cap.jpg

LOL. Sorry my bad carry on. :)

So to end this, I ended up using the the Tools(TM) method. But also also used the fish scale to see where that put me. After torquing the inner adjusting nut to 25 ft lbs I measured about 8 lbf on the fish scale. After adding the star washer and the out nut I measured again and got between 9 and 10. So i think, or at least I hope I am good.

I have been through the problem with the buggered end cap but dont let the dealer rape you for $3+..

Red/Green showed me the answer

Whatever. I know you North Scottsdale types. It is more likely that you are running custom end caps that include a combination grease fitting/bottle cap remover. You probably had them CNC'd and then powder coated to match your rims.

Do they even sell duct tape in North Scottsdale?

Whatever. I know you North Scottsdale types. It is more likely that you are running custom end caps that include a combination grease fitting/bottle cap remover. You probably had them CNC'd and then powder coated to match your rims.

Funny I was going to say the same thing. But add that these aftermarket end caps also provide an extra .00000000000003 MPG and seat of the pants HP gain unequaled by any other pressed in modification:p

I only have a couple things to add...first of all, all this in/lbs and ft/lbs switching back and forth makes comprehension more difficult than it really needs to be.

Secondly...doesn't the FSM provide a range of pounds and not just a single value? If using the "Fishing scale method" I would think that you should be okay as long as the value was within the range specified and there's no play in the bearings.

I suspect that without verification on the scale, it won't matter what you tell your friends, she still weighed more than that, and you know it.

I tighten until its hard to turn, that to me insures bearings are seated the loosen and torque to spec. No problems the 3 times ive done it this way.

I do not think you are overthingking, IH8MUD needs people like you. We can chose to do the "feel" way, but we should know what the correct way is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom