Use of asbestos in early cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Archie 1962 FJ25

Autocrat
Threads
Recently authorities in both New Zealand & Australia have become very strict on asbestos regulation and in particular on classic & vintage vehicles & spare parts imports. Asbestos was used in various parts such as brake pads, gaskets etc. Concerned authorities are randomly checking vehicles & parts at the border and if asbestos found hefty penalties and cleaning charges are enforced. In some cases vehicles were not allowed in the country and also couldn't be exported back.

I tried to search if asbestos is / was used in our cruisers parts, but couldn't find any thing documented anywhere. It will be nice to document these parts here, this will help greatly to all us folks who love vintage cruisers and import parts from all over the world.

I imagine asbestos was used and installed as original equipment where ever it could be used. Its a great product... I would think that the US being the largest importer of Cruiser parts, your not going to see any asbestos on any products sold to the US market.

Keep quiet about this. The VA thinks I got my asbestos damage while in the navy.

the best brake pads have it in them... all 40's, 60's and earlier 70's would have it probably 80's as well.

another biggie is the clutch, full of it. just don't go putting your nose close to the stuff.

What a bunch of s*** all this crap is......Obama and the greenies would love to have one more excuse to screw over America. Yes, best brake pads were asbestos from what I understand.

Yes Brake pads and Clutch, but that would be for most cars with brakes and clutches. While new cars claim they do not have parts with asbestos in them after market parts surely might. And shockingly I do no think there is any law in the US preventing the use of it in brake pads and clutches and more shockingly those that do, do not have to label their products to warn you. You cannot make a break pad in the US with it, but you can import them all you want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom