Use 2 Intake/Exhaust Gaskets on 78 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm re-doing up my 78 FJ40's intake/exhaust gasket this morning to fix leaks and a burned gasket, along with a general emissions tune-up so I can pass CA smog tests.

Is the smart set-up when using stock intake and exhaust manifolds to run two I/E gaskets? What torque do you use with the two gasket set-up?

Thanks for advice!

Two is preferred to one-

I coated mine with copper spray and then cranked them down to factory spec. it was near 30lb ft. I think, but dont quote me on that.

Drew <><

Generally two are used in a header application due to flange warping. A stock exhaust manifold won't have those issues as much especially if planed. Remember to retighten after a couple heat/cooling cycles.

If you have your manifolds planed, then two is not necessary, and NOT the prefered setup, as it is more likely the will blow out.
If you need to fix a leak without planing the manifol or install a header; two is fine. am running two because something is out of plane, and I didn't feel like having it planed. The copper RTV is a good suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback- I'm using an un-planed stock exhaust manifold. I went with two. It's done. The 40 has never run better. Also replaced the riser gaskets and the stainless baffle between the intake and exhaust. Huge source of exhaust leak with the old cracked gaskets and baffle...

Now at a stop I have to look at the aftermarket tach to be sure it's still running. :)

I agree that with stock manifolds, one gasket is most likely better.

I'm going to check the torque on the manifold bolts today, it's a drag though, looks like I need to pull the carb off again to get access to the top bolts. There's a heat sheild attached to a EGR insulator plate that prevents me from getting the socket on the bolts. Bummer. Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom