Upgrading to a 200 series - First time owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post here, wanted to thank you all for your knowledge and time on such a great family of trucks!

My wife has a 2016 4 Runner that I bought new for her and it's been rock solid for 54K miles with no issues at all. My grandmother who raised me purchased a 2001 LS430 new and still drives it to this day, and my uncle has 2 tacos that just won't die on him! I've been privy to the reliability of the Toyota family for a while now and now I want to take the step myself and roll around in something iconic. The problem I'm facing is what to buy, price point I'm looking at is 30k and under for a 2008-2013 depending on the miles. Initially I was LC all the way, but after lots of research, and looking at what is available I may be better off getting the LX unless I can be swayed.

I currently drive a 2009 Yukon XL, nothing wrong with it per say but it's a Michigan truck with some rust issues, and we're at 170k on the odometer with questions of how long it's going to keep going without serious investment. I know I'll be loosing some size and cargo capacity, but I drive myself around in that thing empty more often than not and the times I actually fill it up can be remedied with a trailer or hitch/roof storage depending on my needs for the day. What I'm looking for is a truck I know is going to be there for me a decade from now, something that can take me anywhere and everywhere with no worries (other than running out of fuel) and to be completely honest the fact that I don't see a LC or LX every mile on the road is appealing to me, these trucks feel like incognito exclusivity with bulletproof drive trains and components.

I keep finding 08-11 LX models with 120-160k miles for around 22k and then the same specs in a LC is going for 24-25K all across the midwest. I feel like I understand the main differences (AHC vs KDSS, interior finishes, removable vs permanent third row, supposed 2 more HP in the LX) but is there a reason the LC commands more money other than supply and demand? It seems like there are less LC variants available than LX but I have read that Lexus made 20k more of the 570s than the LC so it makes sense less on the market they'll command a higher price but is there a reason people are passing up the LX that I'm not aware of? Second part to that question, would you consider it worth the extra 7-8k to get a 2013 variant with less miles and the updated rear seat entertainment? I'm willing to go up to 30k on this truck but if I can end up with 8k for upgrades/maintenance instead of being maxed out on the purchase price right away I'm going to go that route.

Hoping to be riding in my own 200 series before the summer is over, thanks for making it this far I appreciate any advice or information you're willing to share with me!

I've been trying to keep a list of the differences between LC vs LX, but also options had in later model years. I don't have specific break points and some of these options flowed down to the LC in passing years. The LX continues to gain more added features as well. Perhaps useful to see if there's anything that you really want and to see if the particular variant or model year you're looking at has it.

Yet this is all teasing at details, which is useful in research. All variants of the 200-series come pretty darn loaded.

LX features:
1) Substantially more sound deadening
2) Powered rear hatch for open/close (later LCs got this)
3) Soft open rear lower tailgate, with power latching
4) Surround camera system
5) Ventilated/Heated front row (later LCs got this)
6) Mark Levinson Reference w/ 5.1 surround
7) Power side view mirrors with auto-fold (later LCs got this)
8) AHC - AVS, lift on demand, auto and multi-step damping, anti-dive/roll/squat, leveling, etc., etc.
9) AHC underbody armor
10) Shorter roof rack (LC has a longer roof rack with 3 supports per side)
11) Steering headlights (AFS)
12) Projector headlights ('16+ LCs got this)
13) Headlight washers
14) Storage in rear seat armrest
15) Power slide rear seats
16) Second row storage on front seatbacks is a panel vs net
17) 14-way adjustable driver seat vs 10-way LC (passenger 12-way vs 8-way)
18) Dual adjustable sliding armrests
19) Power stowage for 3rd row seat
20) All windows down by holding remote door open button for 3+ seconds (typical Lexus feature, not sure Toyota's have this?)
21) All windows down and up by using key fob in door (also not sure LCs have this?)
22) Substantial Lexus key fob (LC uses same one as corolla)
23) Fade-To-Off interior lighting (I believe LC got this in 2014?)
24) Puddle and side step lights
25) Door sil lighting
26) Interior ambient lighting
27) Additional trunk side light and open tailgate lighting
28) +2hp / +2tq (requires 91 octane, LC is 87 octane)
29) More luxurious interior appointments
30) Ventilated outboard rear seats
31) Four-zone climate concierge
32) LED Headlamp with AHS Sequential Turn
33) LED Cornering Lamp
34) 12.3-inch high-res split-screen display (LC 9")
35) Head-up display
36) All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (LC DRCC for 25mph and up)
37) Steering wheel paddle shifter
38) Door puddle projector lamps
39) Rear door retractable sun shades
40) 2020 gets special trims: "LX570 Sport" to "LC Heritage"
41) Rear seat entertainment, single screen in early gens, dual in later

Last edited:
First post here, wanted to thank you all for your knowledge and time on such a great family of trucks!

My wife has a 2016 4 Runner that I bought new for her and it's been rock solid for 54K miles with no issues at all. My grandmother who raised me purchased a 2001 LS430 new and still drives it to this day, and my uncle has 2 tacos that just won't die on him! I've been privy to the reliability of the Toyota family for a while now and now I want to take the step myself and roll around in something iconic. The problem I'm facing is what to buy, price point I'm looking at is 30k and under for a 2008-2013 depending on the miles. Initially I was LC all the way, but after lots of research, and looking at what is available I may be better off getting the LX unless I can be swayed.

I currently drive a 2009 Yukon XL, nothing wrong with it per say but it's a Michigan truck with some rust issues, and we're at 170k on the odometer with questions of how long it's going to keep going without serious investment. I know I'll be loosing some size and cargo capacity, but I drive myself around in that thing empty more often than not and the times I actually fill it up can be remedied with a trailer or hitch/roof storage depending on my needs for the day. What I'm looking for is a truck I know is going to be there for me a decade from now, something that can take me anywhere and everywhere with no worries (other than running out of fuel) and to be completely honest the fact that I don't see a LC or LX every mile on the road is appealing to me, these trucks feel like incognito exclusivity with bulletproof drive trains and components.

I keep finding 08-11 LX models with 120-160k miles for around 22k and then the same specs in a LC is going for 24-25K all across the midwest. I feel like I understand the main differences (AHC vs KDSS, interior finishes, removable vs permanent third row, supposed 2 more HP in the LX) but is there a reason the LC commands more money other than supply and demand? It seems like there are less LC variants available than LX but I have read that Lexus made 20k more of the 570s than the LC so it makes sense less on the market they'll command a higher price but is there a reason people are passing up the LX that I'm not aware of? Second part to that question, would you consider it worth the extra 7-8k to get a 2013 variant with less miles and the updated rear seat entertainment? I'm willing to go up to 30k on this truck but if I can end up with 8k for upgrades/maintenance instead of being maxed out on the purchase price right away I'm going to go that route.

Hoping to be riding in my own 200 series before the summer is over, thanks for making it this far I appreciate any advice or information you're willing to share with me!
LCs are more than LXs just due to supply and demand. 2-3x more LX sold new and LC owners keep longer = more used LX available then used LC. Only reason to buy a LC over LX is for some very specific dedicated off road mods. LX is better in almost every way.

No sense in rehashing what's already been stated above (all true), you could reason the LC will hold its value more, but given you seem to hold your cars for a long while that probably won't matter in the end. If you can find a 13' with lower miles, especially in a non-rust area it could be worth it especially if still within you budget. Loosely... Figure $1500 per 10k miles, eg if there's 40k less miles you could expect to pay ~$6k more. Plus the value of the updates that came in 13', whatever those are worth to you.

LC has significantly lower maintenance cost over the life of vehicle.

I assume you've seen the '08 LX that Harvey Lexus has over in Grand Rapids. I noticed it as I was going to the Toyota dealer across the street. Might want to check that out, if it meets your specs.

LC has significantly lower maintenance cost over the life of vehicle.
Interesting comment. Since I am in the market right now, I would like to understand your reasoning on this point. Since the basics are the same (frame, body, engine etc.) what components result in higher costs for the LX? I'm looking for a +16 LC/LX and was leaning toward the LX until I read this comment.
Thanks in advance for your response.

Interesting comment. Since I am in the market right now, I would like to understand your reasoning on this point. Since the basics are the same (frame, body, engine etc.) what components result in higher costs for the LX? I'm looking for a +16 LC/LX and was leaning toward the LX until I read this comment.
Thanks in advance for your response.

If you follow Owners Manual, LX requires premium gas.

AHC, while fairly reliable compared to other air suspension, needs maintenance every 60k. And a leak or damage due to rust anywhere along the system can send you on a wild chase costing $$$$$. Even some Lexus dealers don’t know much about it... thus if you go this route, then you better hope that the tech knows his stuff. A member here has his car out for over a month and $10k worth of Warranty repair.

I assume you've seen the '08 LX that Harvey Lexus has over in Grand Rapids. I noticed it as I was going to the Toyota dealer across the street. Might want to check that out, if it meets your specs.

I'm actually waiting to hear back from them, that was the one that actually sparked this thread. I've been on the look for a while, found an 11 in Naperville for 22k with 140k on the ticker, one owner no accidents but it sold this morning. I want black but I can settle for the silver if it's as good of a deal as it seems, I've thankfully been slammed at work and I'm on a commission job so I've been banking extra cash faster than normal these last couple months where I think it's time to get what I want and be done worrying about my ride for the next decade if everything goes as planned.

AHC, while fairly reliable compared to other air suspension, needs maintenance every 60k. And a leak or damage due to rust anywhere along the system can send you on a wild chase costing $$$$$. Even some Lexus dealers don’t know much about it... thus if you go this route, then you better hope that the tech knows his stuff. A member here has his car out for over a month and $10k worth of Warranty repair.
It’s not air suspension on the LX. Subjectively, it’s more than fairly reliable. And some LC owners have had issues with KDSS rust. Other than the operating cost of gas, which is owners choice, I can’t see your significantly higher maintenance costs. I guess I need to read an LX maintenance manual sometime to see what those costs are.

Reactions: HGB
It’s not air suspension on the LX. Subjectively, it’s more than fairly reliable. And some LC owners have had issues with KDSS rust. Other than the operating cost of gas, which is owners choice, I can’t see your significantly higher maintenance costs. I guess I need to read an LX maintenance manual sometime to see what those costs are.

So, you never have to service AHC? 60k service of AHC is fake news?

Didn’t someone just got their LX front shocks replaced for $1000?

KDSS rust is with the bolt. If you don’t lift your LC, then it is not even a huge deal. Just lather some stuff every year. Even when the bolts rusted, did it cause KDSS to fail? KDSS is a maintenance free system.

To @hockeycoach18 . This guy like to take extremes to make his point. What he doesn't tell you:

The specific case he's speaking of is caused by a single mechanics incompetence. A simple flush done wrong leading to air getting in the system. Incompetent mechanic fails to use common sense and replaces non-failed expensive things to rack up parts and labor on Lexus's dime. This is akin to flushing the brake system and getting air in, not following the FSM on how bleed it, and replacing good working parts.

What he also doesn't tell you is that AHC is incredibly reliable, with majority easily going hundreds of thousands of miles and beyond, with continuous high level performance. Just like the AHC system in the 100-series, but better. One can flush the system onboard (60k maintenance interval), just like changing oil or coolant, and the system performs like new again. The very rare typical issue (if you can even call it that) involve weeping shocks that are relatively cheap ($175 per front, $80 per rear). Or rust on lines. I can count the number of reported issues with AHC on these boards within two hands.

If he were forthcoming, he'd tell you about the trials and cost reality on other side of the fence, trying to upgrade suspensions. I bet he won't, so I'd encourage you to search the thousands of posts yourself.

I'll leave you with - AHC is the creme de la creme system out there. Capability, performance, on-road and off, without compromise to either. With durability light years beyond anything aftermarket, unless it were to LC stock system itself. Yet that system is not up to enthusiast pursuits.

Last edited:
Didn't someone just drop $5k on an icon suspension upgrade for a tlc? Isn't the 2nd mod every tlc does to add better coils better springs and ucas to get the alignment back. For a measly 2" lift. That is $1500 at least.

I have about $1000 in my LX suspension, I have 225k miles. I would be surprised if a Shock and spring had not seen one if not two replacements by now.

I think long term costs are the same, with both suffering occasionally from a catastrophic failure.

People fear what they don't understand. Everyone understands shock and spring. Doesn't mean you should fear ahc.

To the op, you're buying used so choose wisely the one you buy, but there is no real reason aside from preference to pick an LX or tlc. They are 90% the same.

To @hockeycoach18 The very rare typical issue (if you can even call it that) involve weeping shocks that are relatively cheap ($175 per front, $80 per rear). Or rust on lines. I can count the number of reported issues with AHC on these boards within two hands.

If he were forthcoming, he'd tell you about the trials and cost reality on other side of the fence, trying to upgrade suspensions. I bet he won't, so I'd encourage you to search the thousands of posts yourself.

I'll leave you with - AHC is the creme de la creme system out there. Capability, performance, on-road and off, without compromise to either. With durability light years beyond anything aftermarket, unless it were to LC stock system itself. Yet that system is not up to enthusiast pursuits.

You must have lots of fingers! :D A quick search will show that....

Personally, just me, i am pretty happy with clearances on my LC stock suspension. I am glad that you no longer boast about the handling aspect of AHC.....

LX is better in almost every way.

Except towing capacity.

And I honestly think they'll end up with more mods aka the 100 series here soon as they begin to get modified more as they age.

Except towing capacity.

And I honestly think they'll end up with more mods aka the 100 series here soon as they begin to get modified more as they age.
I don’t know about that. Myself any the others on the forum that are towing large(ish) campers a bunch of miles all have LX.

Wow you guys are awesome for hopping on here and really letting me know what I was getting into, there is an 08 over in Grand Rapids it's about 2.5 hours west from me but I'm planning on going out Thursday morning and checking it out, if it meets my needs I may bring it home. If not I'll continue my search, I do really appreciate all of the tips!

I'm not a marketing person, but my observation is that the Land Cruiser is an iconic brand that conveys ruggedness and durability. Lexus has more of a luxury branding.

While substantially similar, the Land Cruiser seems to be in higher demand in the US, and prices reflect that.

I don't think it boils down to much in the way of practical or functional differences (with the exception of AHC). Many people that have the LX sing the praises of AHC, so it must be pretty great.

If you line up a Land Cruiser and a LX of the same year (in the US), you'll likely find more features and a higher quality leather on the LX.

One observation though, and I've said this before, most people that already own a Land Cruiser will probably recommend a Land Cruiser, and those that have an LX will probably recommend the LX.

Many of the posters above in this thread own an LX, so I'd expect them to be net promoters.

It seems like there are some aftermarket items that are a little more hard to get fit the LX: sturdy bumpers and sliders come to mind. They're out there but less selection and may be more waiting. And suspension upgrades are a rip and replace option for the LX (although most people with a LX seem happy with stock, maybe a sensor lift).

If an LX trips your trigger, go for it. There isn't really a downside (except maybe repeatedly telling people who care, "it's the same thing as a land cruiser, just with a Lexus badge", and the fugly grille on the newer ones).

I love my Land Cruiser and have zero interest in owning a LX, but objectively, there is no good reason for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom