Upgrading 91 FJ80 front brakes to 95 brakes process (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run the power stops with there standard pads and they work great from the first stop even with my 39s.

When you say standard pads, are they the carbon ceramic ones? This is the kit I bought. Amazon product ASIN B005FKPR8K
Truth be told I can't find the receipt, I do know that I got the extreme towing and off road kit and it seem to be the same kit you got with the carbon ceramic pads.

Great writeup! Thanks for all the info. I’m doing my LSPV delete now.

Just a heads up, technically you should use a brake line plug, not just the Dorman M10x1.0 hex plug. The Dorman hex will probably work fine, but is sealing on the threads. The brake plug has the proper flare seat for the double/inverted flare seal.

PN Belmetric BLP10X1.0DF brake line plug.

Brake Plug M10X1.0 Double / Bubble Flare High Pressure Suitable - https://belmetric.com/brake-plug-m10x1-0-double-bubble-flare-high-pressure-suitable/?sku=BLP10X1.0DF

IMG-7907.jpg

IMG-7900.jpg

Last edited:
When you say standard pads, are they the carbon ceramic ones? This is the kit I bought. Amazon product ASIN B005FKPR8K
Just a heads up from my own experience of buying these Powerstop kits from Amazon. I picked up the rear rotor kit and what was delivered was Powerstop pads but with some unbranded, made in china rotors. When i tried to return them i noticed that the description is accurate however very misleading.

Just a heads up from my own experience of buying these Powerstop kits from Amazon. I picked up the rear rotor kit and what was delivered was Powerstop pads but with some unbranded, made in china rotors. When i tried to return them i noticed that the description is accurate however very misleading.
Powerstop has a web site where you can buy direct.
I avoid Amazon when ever possible !

great write up! This is super helpful as I'm looking to upgrade my 91's brakes as well. As far as wheels and tires, what size are you running? As much hate as the stock wheels get, I would love to keep mine but I've heard the 95 brakes won't fit on the 15" wheels

Great writeup! Thanks for all the info. I’m doing my LSPV delete now.

Just a heads up, technically you should use a brake line plug, not just the Dorman M10x1.0 hex plug. The Dorman hex will probably work fine, but is sealing on the threads. The brake plug has the proper flare seat for the double/inverted flare seal.

PN Belmetric BLP10X1.0DF brake line plug.

Brake Plug M10X1.0 Double / Bubble Flare High Pressure Suitable - https://belmetric.com/brake-plug-m10x1-0-double-bubble-flare-high-pressure-suitable/?sku=BLP10X1.0DF

IMG-7907.jpg

IMG-7900.jpg
Thanks for the link to that bolt. I will buy it and replace the one I have.

great write up! This is super helpful as I'm looking to upgrade my 91's brakes as well. As far as wheels and tires, what size are you running? As much hate as the stock wheels get, I would love to keep mine but I've heard the 95 brakes won't fit on the 15" wheels
You have to run larger wheels. I went with stock 4 runner wheels with a 1.5" Spidertrax spacers and stud lug nuts. At the end of this video you can see what they look like

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom