UPDATE: Need advice - My poor girl got hit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Download the Collision Repair Manual in the 80 section of the Resources area of the forum; it has the frame measurements in it. Take that with you to the body shop so you know they're using the correct numbers.
Anybody know if the frame measurements will be the same for a RHD JDM? I've downloaded a japanese repair manual before, but as you can imagine I had a bit of trouble using it 😂

IME you also need to get a good look at the quarter panel inside and out after the bumper cap is removed. What might look like a small crunch can be very expensive to do body repairs in that area.

Is the fuel door or the gaps around it tweaked? That would be one indication of a deformed quarter panel. Does the left rear door open and close normally, gaps the same side to side?

Tailgate is done, that means finding a used good condition tailgate, shipping and repaint cost, ----

Does the hatch close like it should, gaps the same side to side?

Then there's the boxed area under the tailgate.

As others have said, the frame, axle, suspension parts are other big ticket items.

My guess is whichever insurance covers it will want to total it; don't let them, tell them you want it fixed back to factory spec or the full amount of the repairs without a salvage title.

The insurance company will sell your totaled vehicle to a salvage yard to get back some of the money they paid you for it, so it's to their advantage to total it.

Find the highest comps you can from BAT and Fleabay for similar models.

IME you also need to get a good look at the quarter panel inside and out after the bumper cap is removed. What might look like a small crunch can be very expensive to do body repairs in that area.

Is the fuel door or the gaps around it tweaked? That would be one indication of a deformed quarter panel. Does the left rear door open and close normally, gaps the same side to side?

Tailgate is done, that means finding a used good condition tailgate, shipping and repaint cost, ----

Does the hatch close like it should, gaps the same side to side?

Then there's the boxed area under the tailgate.

As others have said, the frame, axle, suspension parts are other big ticket items.

My guess is whichever insurance covers it will want to total it; don't let them, tell them you want it fixed back to factory spec or the full amount of the repairs without a salvage title.

The insurance company will sell your totaled vehicle to a salvage yard to get back some of the money they paid you for it, so it's to their advantage to total it.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll take a look at all the gaps tomorrow. First estimate (just pics) was for $2800. This is before they take her apart and I make sure they check all the “other stuff” everyone here has mentioned.

Been looking for comps just in case. Appreciate the “without a salvage title” comment. I just want it to be made right.

IMG_4685.jpeg

Hey all,

Lady from down the street rammed my cruiser as it was parked out front. Damage looks fixable, but wanted to ask if anyone has advice as far as “unseen damage.” Doesn’t look like I have frame damage from a quick look, but is drivetrain damage likely? Car was in park and got pushed about 7 ft up and over a curb. Started with no issues and pulled her into the yard with no sounds heard or anything.

Currently working with her insurance and they seem legit, even offering a rental. I’m worried about appraised value given it’s a JDM import, but hopefully it doesn’t even come to that and they just fix the damage. Otherwise I’ll go to court.

Any advice from the wise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

View attachment 3459157

View attachment 3459158

View attachment 3459159

View attachment 3459160

View attachment 3459161
Some great stuff from my fellow mudders.
I heard an advertisement this week about getting a independent appraisal (for a fee, of course).
I'd never heard of that before, but, it might be worth a try.
Fingers crossed fer ya.

Insurance companies won't accept bidding websites for comps. At least state farm wouldn't 🤷‍♂️

You are also entitled to a significant cash payment for diminished value even if they fully repair it. If you ever go to sell, the value, will always be lower when someone sees a Carfax report with a damage report.

Yes, this stinks…but could be way worse!! You’ll get this fixed one way or another and move on. Hang in there and don’t take sh*t from insurance co.

Quick update and a request for assistance. Over three months later I've finally got the Land Cruiser back "fixed." The first shop was useless as they could not source parts (the tailgate was giving them issues). The second shop was much better. The lady's insurance covered the repairs adequately, but there are some differences of course. The left bumper cowling is clearly new and out of place compared to the right cowling, but it is what it is. Also, they wouldn't do single stage paint, so now I have a clear coat that will eventually peel someday I'm sure. Most of my paint was in very good condition, but again, them's the breaks. No frame or suspension damage.

Now, where I need help. I am attempting to file a Diminished Value claim. Her insurance company initially said "it's over 5 years old and over 100k miles, you don't qualify for diminished value." I didn't accept this and after being stiff-armed a second time, I elevated it myself to their supervisor with an admittedly somewhat terse email. They got back to me and said because they can't pull a vehicle report for a JDM import to know if there were any accidents, they basically need me to take the lead and actually advise them of my diminished value demand so they can consider it.

I want to be fair here, I'm not trying to shake them down for something I'm not entitled to. But in my opinion, an accident DOES diminish the value of my FJ80. How can I best arrive at a fair number that compensates me for my loss but isn't unreasonable. I've looked up comps but it's not exactly straight forward as there are umpteen different options on every vehicle that would set them apart.

1991 FJ80 - JDM RHD
3FE - A440
Full Float LSD axles
105,000 miles

Mostly stock, only upgrades are Dobinson's shocks and springs (1.75") and 33 inch tires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What did the lady's insurance company pay out so far?

I call BS on the shop not painting it correctly, either they should have brought it back to stock (or if they told you ahead of time so you could have taken it somewhere else).

This happened (partial repaint with clear coat) to my 96 model, before I bought it there was a minor repair to the left rear quarter panel. For the first few years it looked good but slowly it became apparent that the clear coat was turning not quite so clear, then it started to chip, crack, etc, etc. Now that quarter panel looks like sheit. The rest of the original body paint still looks very good when it gets polished.

Seems like a good reason for the insurance company to not pay the body shop that did the work unless/until they correct it, or you find someone else who can paint it correctly.

Of course, you're in a pickle, if that shop doesn't have experience shooting single stage then you could end up with a worse job if they attempt to re-shoot it.

Some photos would help, maybe start high like $10,000 diminished value and let them come back and give you an offer??

It's all relative, depends when you sell it, condition, etc. If you hold onto to it for 20 years at that point the diminished value to a collector could be higher assuming it's still in good shape.

Pure WAG

What did the lady's insurance company pay out so far?

I call BS on the shop not painting it correctly, either they should have brought it back to stock (or if they told you ahead of time so you could have taken it somewhere else).

Some photos would help, maybe start high like $10,000 diminished value and let them come back and give you an offer??

It's all relative, depends when you sell it, condition, etc. If you hold onto to it for 20 years at that point the diminished value to a collector could be higher assuming it's still in good shape.

Pure WAG
Thanks for the reply! I knew before they sprayed it that they wouldn't do single stage. They basically said they don't do work they can't guarantee, and they don't do single stage. They give life-time guarantee on repairs and 5 years guarantee for the clear coat. At this point I was so over how long it was taking. I liked the shop and they were invested in getting me parts wherever they could. They managed to find a used tailgate in good condition that they sprayed and replaced mine with. You can also no longer get the chrome trim for the side plastics on the rear bumper, so I've got a mismatch there. The shop is going to refund me that portion of the money and said if I wind up finding them I can bring it back in and have it done.

It's just all very annoying. Just minding my own business in my house and some dummy causes a real pain in my ass through stupid decisions.

A few pics. I probably should’ve been more aggressive with having them remove everything (rear sliding windows, trim pieces, fenders) when they did the paint. They had to clear coat the whole roof and both rear QPs because it’s all one continuous piece. They were concerned about breaking the window frames and side moulding, and I was worried about pushing things to the $$$ where they’d want to total it. I should’ve just said “if anything breaks, I consider that a result of the accident and expect it to be covered.” I knew we’d eventually get to me having to sue, and I just wanted my truck back. That’s how these guys always win…

Anyway, you can see what I mean with the chrome trim, but I think she looks alright for the most part.

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5219.jpeg

If you win your Diminished Value claim, you'll be in rarefied air.

My case: brand new Mazda6 years ago, and less than 500 miles on the Odo, wife-unit gets rear-ended by a teenager playing with his phone. Happened RIGHT IN FRONT of the Farmers Insurance building, which he had for insurance. The car was within $1k of being totalled, was only 3 months old, and again less than 500 miles on - a new car.

After repairs were made, I did my homework and pursued a Diminished Value claim with Farmers based on my brand new car getting significant wrecked. It went up several levels, as I was looking to try and cover the gap on the loan, at a minimum - and after 3 months, they came back and said; "For us to pay a Diminished Value Claim, to establish the reduced value in practical terms, you have to sell the car to someone." In other words, I had to demonstrate - through selling the car for half it's Blue Book - that it was a financial loss... And then, after actualizing the loss, I had to hen pursue them paying to make me whole again so I could go and buy a replacement new car. That was never going to happen, and we both knew it.

At this point, and after the frustration of the experience, we made a hard decision and just kept the car. We drove it for 15yrs, to 205k miles, and it was one of the best cars I've ever owned, as far as maintenance, cost, and overall value. I sold it to a teenager looking for reliable transportation, and he's still driving it.

My point is; trying to get a Diminished Value claim made on a normal, everyday, dime-a-dozen commuter car was unsuccessful. Your attempt to get them to pay you some construct of what you think a unique, collector vehicle has now lost is going to be an uphill battle.

I wish you luck, and let us know how it turns out.

That story sounds like something the Insurance Board of your State might want to hear. If anyone can fix the problem (with the Insurance company giving you the run around) it would be the Insurance Board.

You've got me fuming vicariously! I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad you were able to get a long life out of your Mazda (I've always loved mazdas, we've had 2 3's, a CX-30, and now a CX-5). I'm not optimistic, but i hope if I keep it realistic there might be SOME compensation.

I've also ordered a Japanese CARFAX equivalent, so hopefully that will help too. I'm sure I have one already deep down in my paperwork, but it's been 7 years since I came back to the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom