UPDATE: Need advice - My poor girl got hit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Lady from down the street rammed my cruiser as it was parked out front. Damage looks fixable, but wanted to ask if anyone has advice as far as “unseen damage.” Doesn’t look like I have frame damage from a quick look, but is drivetrain damage likely? Car was in park and got pushed about 7 ft up and over a curb. Started with no issues and pulled her into the yard with no sounds heard or anything.

Currently working with her insurance and they seem legit, even offering a rental. I’m worried about appraised value given it’s a JDM import, but hopefully it doesn’t even come to that and they just fix the damage. Otherwise I’ll go to court.

Any advice from the wise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_6878.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

IMG_6875.jpeg

IMG_4656.jpeg

IMG_4657.jpeg

Looks like she went underneath and focused most of the energy on the LR tire.

I would bet that it bent your control arms on the rear axle and possibly your panhard bar.

At the very least have them replace all those bushings (with Toyota brand)

May have bent the LR shock.

Make sure the LR wheel rim isn't bent.

What year is your truck?

Also check the rear sway bar and the bushings and brackets that hold it on.

Looks like she went underneath and focused most of the energy on the LR tire.

I would bet that it bent your control arms on the rear axle and possibly your panhard bar.

At the very least have them replace all those bushings (with Toyota brand)

May have bent the LR shock.

Make sure the LR wheel rim isn't bent.

What year is your truck?

Also check the rear sway bar and the bushings and brackets that hold it on.
Thanks! I’ll check them out.

1991,102k miles, LSDs, only center diff lock, Dobinson’s lift

Take it to get assessed and have the frame measured.

I had similar happen to a parked, large SUV (no chassis). It was pushed up a kerb, and about 10'. Hit by a small car doing about 25mph.

Destroyed suspension links and 2 wheels on the side the mounted the kerb. Tweaked the body, doors wouldn't open, broke lights.

The damage was extensive, and enough to well and truly write my vehicle off.

Landcruiser will fare better because of the chassis, but damage can be hard to spot immediately for an untrained eye

Take it to get assessed and have the frame measured.

I had similar happen to a parked, large SUV (no chassis). It was pushed up a kerb, and about 10'. Hit by a small car doing about 25mph.

Destroyed suspension links and 2 wheels on the side the mounted the kerb. Tweaked the body, doors wouldn't open, broke lights.

The damage was extensive, and enough to well and truly write my vehicle off.

Landcruiser will fare better because of the chassis, but damage can be hard to spot immediately for an untrained eye
Eek, I REALLY hope that’s not the case here. I’ll be devastated

Eek, I REALLY hope that’s not the case here. I’ll be devastated

Bite the bullet, and find out now. Better to get it assessed than find issues down the track.

The full chassis will have helped a lot, but still, the bump up the kerb says it was a decent hit

Last edited:
View the bullet, and find out now. Better to get it assessed than find issues down the track.

The full chassis will have helped a lot, but still, the bump up the kerb says it was a decent hit
Yeah, I’ve scheduled a body shop with good reviews to take a look. I’m sure they’ll check everything, but I’ll use the recommendations here to QA them as they do.

As I said, I’ll have it professionally evaluated, but here’s some underside pics for anyone interested.

Back Left

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4674.jpeg

IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

Do as others have said. Get it checked on a frame machine by a good body shop.

When the insurance tells you it is totaled just reply with a simple comment of, "I am not accepting your total offer, I want my truck fixed".

Keep saying this until they either fix it or give you a check you feel comfortable with.

Do as others have said. Get it checked on a frame machine by a good body shop.

When the insurance tells you it is totaled just reply with a simple comment of, "I am not accepting your total offer, I want my truck fixed".

Keep saying this until they either fix it or give you a check you feel comfortable with.
Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I'm preparing mentally. I can imagine they won't even be in the ballpark of what I'm comfortable with. Again, I'm hopeful we can get it done without too much fuss, but I'll update with my experience to hopefully help others in the future.

Lord so sorry. Texting and driving should be a capital punishment crime.

When I park overnight on street here I toss a bike strobe on the back bumper.

Last edited:
This is not good news and I hope the driver was OK.

7 foot up and over a curb is a fair distance for a 80 to get shoved. 80's are a bit heavy.

That said it does appear most of the energy was absorbed by the tire. The tire could have unseen damage that shows up later as bump or cord separation. It appears you have wheel spacers and that needs to be checked along with the wheel. The wheel could be bent and the spacer or it's studs could be damaged or bent. Probably worth checking the axle bearings and preload on that corner. The photos you posted don't seem to show any damage but the upper and lower control arms on that side may well be bent or the bushing damaged. Get that mud flap and flare off quick if they are reusable so they don't distort and develop a memory. The front suspension and components are probably fine. Alignment and likely the steering wheel could be out of spec.

Hyundai is not a Kazakh word but if it were it would translate as "little crappy car which crushes easily" so you got lucky there.

Looks like a good start for a buggy build. 😁. Kidding, I hope there is nothing wrong that can’t be fixed. That sucks sorry that happened.

Download the Collision Repair Manual in the 80 section of the Resources area of the forum; it has the frame measurements in it. Take that with you to the body shop so you know they're using the correct numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom