Ultimate Trail Tool Kit (carry on for off road) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A multi tool screwdriver set is a great tool but there are times when one needs a big 'ol flipp'n screwdriver to wedge, pry or separate something that these multi tools just can't do.
Also, I do have a bit driver set listed towards the top with the screwdrivers, and lower in the list I have a valve stem tool kit.

Hey MUDDer's , I've added a new section (that should have been there already) to the list: Recovery gear.
Feel free to add any recovery gear you think should be carried or added to a proper off road GX and I'll put it on the list.
I've started the list but time hasn't allowed me to add too much to it yet.

Have you discussed the BOX, ROLL, BAG, TUB, AMMO CAN etc that is needed to hold all this stuff?

Have you discussed the BOX, ROLL, BAG, TUB, AMMO CAN etc that is needed to hold all this stuff?
Nope. How to haul it is kind of a personal thing, not like what underwear to bring, but how to bundle things together.
Example:
  • All my cook wear in a plastic water proof toolbox.
  • I keep my lanterns, propane, stove and other things in a large Pelican case, which also doubles as my bear proof box for food.
  • I actually do have an ammo can and keep it in one of the slots on my rear bumper instead of a 5 gal Jerry can. I forget what size ammo it was for but it's about the size of an 5 gal can and I keep some of my recovery gear in there.
So you see, I think everyone will have their own way of packing and what to pack it all in.
But you are right, there are a lot of options for hauling gear.

Last edited:
Don’t go out and warm up the torches and sharpen the pitch forks just yet. Hear me out.
I carry a few Rover part no ANR5449 in our camper toolbox.
I have dedicated chocks for the camper but the tool box is portable and these are always in the bottom of the box. They fold flat and ensure I’m not looking for a rock of adequate size/shape or having to hunt a reasonable size tree limb. And on the side of the highway I’ve never found those items handy anyhow.
We can joke about safety third but in reality none of us wants to be a rollover victim of our own making.
F35D561B-534D-4B0A-826A-639870480E68.png

Don’t go out and warm up the torches and sharpen the pitch forks just yet. Hear me out.
I carry a few Rover part no ANR5449 in our camper toolbox.
I have dedicated chocks for the camper but the tool box is portable and these are always in the bottom of the box. They fold flat and ensure I’m not looking for a rock of adequate size/shape or having to hunt a reasonable size tree limb. And on the side of the highway I’ve never found those items handy anyhow.
We can joke about safety third but in reality none of us wants to be a rollover victim of our own making.
View attachment 2982315
They're cheap enough, albeit this site is out of stock:
I like them, great tip! 👍

Those are handy and I carry a pair of OEM Toyota...for the purists Absolute Wit's End has the Toyota versions. :)

I usually have two of these in the back of my GX.....not bad for $12 :).

Just added silicone funnels to the tool list in post no. 1 above.
I was thinking about when I recently changed out the window washer fluid for low temperature fluid and needing a funnel and realized I don't have a funnel in my rig!
Looked at Amazon and there are a ton of silicone funnels that collapse flat and take no space at all.
They are amazingly handy for transferring fluids in the middle of nowhere.
I know I'll be getting one (or two). 👍

Last edited:
Just added sawzall and tree loppers to the list for when the trail get's thick and narrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom