Ultimate Flex Combos, SUA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if money is a concern, lockers and good tires would smoke any stock jeep.

But, if you insist. I have man-a-fre soft ride 2 1/2" springs, with 2" extended shackles, (They add up to 4 1/2" of lift) To complete the lift I added maf poly bushings, rancho RS 5,000 nitro shocks and extended sway-bar links.

Flex: It flexes good, but I can't flex it all the way because I need extended brake lines :crybaby:

Ride quality: It was a definite improvement from the stock suspension(the old susp. was in really bad condition)

Long term reliability: this combo is 10 years old!!! Yeap, even the shocks. The only thing that has gone wrong is the rear spring packs are sagging a bit(is 1" a bit?) and the bushings are toasty.

Towability: I used to tow a Jet-ski with no prob. :) my only problem was the hitch height.

What would I change?: extended brake lines, some kind of sway-bar disconnect, helper springs, and new bushings.

I don't understand why those shocks have lasted about 10 years, but all I know is that they keep working how they should and until one of them dies I won't replace them!:flipoff2:

Finally a response to the question, thanks pvidrummer. Sounds like a strong endorsement to me. Any one else?

hmm i thought u were sprung over or were running more lift judging from the pic of your truck u posted with tha man-a-fre 4+ bumper and iroks

Seems that way huh... Its amazing what a little trimming, a 1inch BL and some add-a-leafs can do. With all that done I have no rubbing problems when I run the IROKS...

firsttry.jpg

Thanks for the SUSPENSION suggestion, really, very helpful.
JayMilla..

There is not a single thing you can do to your suspension (even more so spring under) that will make the truck go anywhere as far as a $200 lockright.

If you want to show up your Jeep friends then make the truck a sleeper. My FJ40 on 32" BFG AT's fully spanked a spring over FJ40 on 35's just because I had lockers and he didn't.

Just about any lift you get will make the truck not tow as well, get poorer mileage etc.. OME stuff is excellent tho.

Do you have 33's already? New tires in the budget?

You planning on regearing if you don't have bigger tires yet?

Towing and 3.70 gears in a 60 with 33's is gonna be slow on any hill..

Anything else I can't help ya with?

if You Think Lockers Are A Suspension Component, Please Disregard This Thread.
You are really trying hard to be rude aint ya...

SUA will not flex much.. Not without a huge lift..

And soft flexy off road suspensions tend to be pigs on road..
BTW, which variant of OME are you talking about??? they have multiple load abilities.

There is no perfect suspension that you are asking for.

I would go with the med/heavy OME set up, actually I just did! I went w/Kurt at CruiserOutfitters and I found his prices and service to be great! One add I still have to do is to have detachable swaybar links added. I have a rear swaybar from a 62 and I'm going to have a welder I know incorporate a pin oriented removal system so I can have the flex offroad and more stability on the road!
I'm also adding ft and rear lockers and 4"11 gears as well. I went with 285/75/16" tires (about 33") and 16X8 Stockton rims with a 3.5"b/s.
My needs are similar to yours, I need a medium to fairly well capable trail rig with DDability.
Toad

Kurt is a great resource for this.. I would highly recomend him for your lift..

The sway bar disconnect is something you might consider. Just by disconnecting the stock bar you can get a bit more travel.

JayMilla..

There is not a single thing you can do to your suspension (even more so spring under) that will make the truck go anywhere as far as a $200 lockright.

If you want to show up your Jeep friends then make the truck a sleeper. My FJ40 on 32" BFG AT's fully spanked a spring over FJ40 on 35's just because I had lockers and he didn't.

Just about any lift you get will make the truck not tow as well, get poorer mileage etc.. OME stuff is excellent tho.

Do you have 33's already? New tires in the budget?

You planning on regearing if you don't have bigger tires yet?

Towing and 3.70 gears in a 60 with 33's is gonna be slow on any hill..

Anything else I can't help ya with?

Thanks for the reply, although it was a little light on suggestions for a 60 series suspension.

Thanks for the reply, although it was a little light on suggestions for a 60 series suspension.

Read it carefully, OME stuff is a really good choice! There are lots of OME options, call Kurt and talk w/him a little. He'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Seach for some threads started by akarilo. He has done some mods - ford shock towers and relocated his rear shocks to accomidate longer shocks etc and gotten some nice travel out of this SU 62.

You are really trying hard to be rude aint ya...

SUA will not flex much.. Not without a huge lift..

And soft flexy off road suspensions tend to be pigs on road..
BTW, which variant of OME are you talking about??? they have multiple load abilities.

There is no perfect suspension that you are asking for.

I think that JayMilla is more interested in the agressive looks that a lift and larger tires give, rather than off-road performance.

if You Think Lockers Are A Suspension Component, Please Disregard This Thread.

Are you trying to be dick, because I read your thread as you wanting to keep up with jeeps and trying to do a mod that would help this. Sorry for trying to help you out with your question. If you have ever read a real thread on mud before you would understand that the almighty title of the thread does not dictate the discussion, and often times people chime in with alternative suggestions. Have a nice day.

Dylan

Are you trying to be dick, because I read your thread as you wanting to keep up with jeeps and trying to do a mod that would help this. Sorry for trying to help you out with your question. If you have ever read a real thread on mud before you would understand that the almighty title of the thread does not dictate the discussion, and often times people chime in with alternative suggestions. Have a nice day.

Dylan

The title says it all, nothing about traction, all about flexible suspension. I don't recall asking how to keep up with Jeeps, only how to get a little more clearance and flex so I quit dragging my junk. My friends with jeeps laugh at my articulation, but are impressed with all other aspects of the cruiser.
So, if you have suggestions for suspension mods, I'm all ears. If you are offended by my wanting answers to this questions, then go back to chat.:flipoff2:

Seems that way huh... Its amazing what a little trimming, a 1inch BL and some add-a-leafs can do. With all that done I have no rubbing problems when I run the IROKS...

firsttry.jpg

yea my lift should be roughly 5" and i plan on runnin the irok bias which is .8" taller than the radial. so that means i can clear it no problem!! what bs wheel u runnin? oh yea i made that pic the background on my computer when you originally posted it i liked it so much :grinpimp:

sorry to jack thread again... but it is related.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=126924&highlight=sua+flex this thread might help you.

If I just wanted to fit 33's I would do long AAL some longer shackles, swap thirds with 4.11 fine splines, a lockright in the rear. Get some Goodyear MTR's and have fun.....cheap (realatively) and more $ for the baby and house. (if this is your first child you might want to wait on all of this to see how the $ works out.)

Thanks 89srule, that was a good pic thread. I like the long aal, shackle route, I am pretty close to doing it. I am intrigued by the parabolics though, weight carrying capacity and amazing flex. Maybe I'll get the anti inversion shackles and shock towers all set up with the aal's then wait until the parabolics have been around for awhile then just swap spring packs. Any one else have any suggestions?
Thanks, Jason

i bought OME but you said you didnt like those....

OME also is one of the leaders in spring for the XJ heep cherokees... yea i might have had 3 of them...
IMOP they are one of the best out there but each person has theyre own favorite.

the fenders will be your biggest enemy Cruisin.... Even with more lift your still going to run into fender issues unless you trim them back like I did, especially running Reverse shackle. Honestly trimming the fenders a bit isnt a big deal.

Jay, man I'm all for helpin you out here but you're making enemies with a couple really respected guys around here that have lots of knowledge. They were just tryin to help you out with what they thought you were shooting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom