Combo Switch Reconditioning / Cruise Control & Wiper Add (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how to take the stalks apart to clean inside the rotating switches?

I am working on converting my combo switch over to a later model version with cruise control and more wiper speeds. All of this is courtesy of @dbbowen who did all the heavy lifting on figuring this out. I also have @63FST 's decal kit, and am getting things cleaned up based on his instructions here, and this write up on MBWorld.

I've got the stalks cleaned up with brake fluid, and have given them a scrub. About to lay a few lights coats of paint, but...

Does anyone know hot to take these apart so I can make sure to clean any brake fluid or soapy water out of the inside? I've tugged on the ends in all positions, and don't want to break something if I can help it.

Either way, I'll update here with progress once I get them painted and decals applied.

IMG_4027.jpeg

(This is the 4Runner combo switch with all the functions we want, but hazard switch in the wrong orientation hence the un-pinning and attaching to the fj combo)
IMG_2251.jpeg

Rear view. Per @dbbowen the version with the black box covering the left side in the pic below is the one to use. The other versions house the wiper relays in the kick panel of the truck/4runner.
IMG_2252.jpeg

Thanks for your write-up :) -- looks like you are doing a thorough job so let me add a few images to help realize your success.

If you need sections of the decal kit, contact me & I will accommodate -- it is great to see a well-though out installation....thanks for your post.

-Mo
Thanks Mo. Very helpful. It seems like the stalks are drying decently, so I might just send it without trying to take them apart further. Quite worried about breaking 35 year old plastic bits by forcing something.

Thanks Mo. Very helpful. It seems like the stalks are drying decently, so I might just send it without trying to take them apart further. Quite worried about breaking 35 year old plastic bits by forcing something.
Totally understand -- someone might jump in with a suggestion or two but these units are robust and should be able to dry on their own.

-Mo

I’m all ears. I was planning on using Tamiya TS-80 clear coat, and was debating the adhesion promoter as well. I’m not worried about keeping the grey CC part of the stalk so am going to spray it all black.

IMG_4029.jpeg

Definitely use the adhesion promoter -- I think the paints and clears you have are all nearly perfect. Your clear will be more towards flat and will make your decals look a bit more settled in.

Just take your time with all of the steps and we can chat anytime you have more questions. If all goes well maybe we can see a picture or two of your finished work.

PS. You can cut small 'notches' along the decal to better fit the curvature of your stalk.

Hope that helps,

Mo

Definitely use the adhesion promoter -- I think the paints and clears you have are all nearly perfect. Your clear will be more towards flat and will make your decals look a bit more settled in.

Just take your time with all of the steps and we can chat anytime you have more questions. If all goes well maybe we can see a picture or two of your finished work.

PS. You can cut small 'notches' along the decal to better fit the curvature of your stalk.

Hope that helps,

Mo
Thanks. Great to get a head nod on my thinking. I'll keep you updated, and appreciate the offer to help.

Thanks. Great to get a head nod on my thinking. I'll keep you updated, and appreciate the offer to help.
Its all in the prep work and spending a little time to make a plan -- I will help anyway I can if necessary and you have most of it covered.

I have a bunch of parts and pieces so don't sweat it if you need a small item & I should have it -- best of luck with your project :)

-Mo

man i couldnt figure out how to take them apart so i just kinda lightly let some 99% iso alcohol get into it and worked it around in there and let it dry

Got this wrapped up with good results. Definitely takes some focus. Everything reinstalled in vehicle and is working, so no damage to any switches. Used all of the paint pictured above, and these are the results.

IMG_5043.jpeg

IMG_5044.jpeg

IMG_5049.jpeg

IMG_5051.jpeg

IMG_5053.jpeg

damn painting the outer grey cruise part black looks so much better than just hitting it with clear
Totally agree. Went back and forth on that, and glad I went with all black. Still unsure about the flat clear coat. We'll see if it grows on me. It's a little incongruous with the rest of the interior dash parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom