UK First Edition Video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diesel plus maybe a hybrid down the line. That would be a cool combo.

1951 is first year of Land Cruiser.
1958 is first year sold in USA.
The introduction of 1958 edition in US is confusing people😁😄 or 1958 edition would be available in UK too?

No center lock button in that one, strange…
Euro-spec gets a slightly different 4WD system.

US-spec:
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 19.21.45.png

Euro-spec:
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 19.21.34.png

H4F - high range 4wd unlocked center diff
H4L - high range 4wd locked center diff
L4L - low range 4wd locked center diff

If picture is accurate, they're putting a part time 4wd transfer case in the EU model, versus the full time 4wd (torsen center diff with locker) on the US model. Same setup as most 5th gen 4runners (part time 4wd) versus the limited model that has torsen center diff. Same as the 4th gen Tacoma models with part time and the limited trim will get torsen.

ETA: Never mind, I misread the markings in the picture.

Last edited:
If picture is accurate, they're putting a part time 4wd transfer case in the EU model, versus the full time 4wd (torsen center diff with locker) on the US model. Same setup as most 5th gen 4runners (part time 4wd) versus the limited model that has torsen center diff. Same as the 4th gen Tacoma models with part time and the limited trim will get torsen.
Ah, that makes sense. In that case, the US system is superior.

Not saying you're right or wrong but why do you think so? I don't have and never used a Toyota part time 4WD system so forgive the ignorance.

Both shows full time system with lockable center. The European system are simpler. The US system can be more confusing for rookie off roader.

The condition that need low range with open center is technically rare but I love it for maneuvering trailer or even off road when you need tighter turning radius. I remember when 80 series was designed like European system and adding center diff lock switch was a popular modification.

Last edited:
Not saying you're right or wrong but why do you think so? I don't have and never used a Toyota part time 4WD system so forgive the ignorance.
Actually, I misread the picture. I thought it was 2H,4H,4L. Perhaps they are just using a different switch configuration with the same transfer case. Very odd to do so.

Actually, I misread the picture. I thought it was 2H,4H,4L. Perhaps they are just using a different switch configuration with the same transfer case. Very odd to do so.
That was my initial thought as well.

Both shows full time system with lockable center. The European system are simpler. The US system can be more confusing for rookie off roader.

The condition that need low range with open center is technically rare but I love it for maneuvering trailer or even off road when you need tighter turning radius. I remember when 80 series was designed like European system and adding center diff lock switch is a popular modification.
Current 4Runner Limited full time system

4Runner Limited Dial.jpg

From the Prado made to fit a US 4Runner Limited replacing the above dial

4WD Dial New Location (3).JPG

So the EU version does indeed have an LSD, like the 4R Limited. All it lacks is the ability to unlock the center diff in low range. Probably not a big deal, but not sure why Toyota bothers to have two systems?

So the EU version does indeed have an LSD, like the 4R Limited. All it lacks is the ability to unlock the center diff in low range. Probably not a big deal, but not sure why Toyota bothers to have two systems?
You’re making the assumption that the computer will allow you to operate the center diff independent to the t-case. I’ll wager there will be a required sequence to the NA truck like center diff locked, shift to 4-low or shifting the 4-low will also engage the center. Then rear locker on/off only in low.

A good example of prior Toyota tech is the 80-series 7-pin mod.

Maybe we will figure out a similar override. The NA switches would then be better. I just hope locking the center diff deactivates the ABS system.

You’re making the assumption that the computer will allow you to operate the center diff independent to the t-case. I’ll wager there will be a required sequence to the NA truck like center diff locked, shift to 4-low or shifting the 4-low will also engage the center. Then rear locker on/off only in low.

A good example of prior Toyota tech is the 80-series 7-pin mod.

Maybe we will figure out a similar override. The NA switches would then be better. I just hope locking the center diff deactivates the ABS system.
Perhaps. That only further confuses me as to why NA has a different system.

What would be the benefit of deactivating ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom