Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First off, congrats on keeping this thread going since '06! I see you're in Durango- I've been there several times for youth soccer in recent years and every time I stop and admire a gorgeous bone stock mustard 40 on Mesa Ave right by the soccer fields. I thought you may have run into that guy/girl somewhere? I google mapped it and sure enough, there it is in street view! Might be fun to connect.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 10.11.39 AM.png

Clearly that ain't gonna work ;).

A few weeks ago we went up Kennebeck Pass to "the notch". Lovely time was had by all, especially Uglina. In her natural habitat.

View attachment 3117059

Above shows how I replumbed everything.

The rig seems to be running fantanstic, so I think I got it right.

Too soon to tell if the fuel smell is actually gone though.

I was able to use one of the original mounting brackets from the OE charcoal canister, slightly elongating the mounting holes, to hold the slightly larger, lighter plastic Delco canister in the OE spot.

I ran the manifold vacuum via the old metal fuel line that runs behind the engine on the firewall, reducing a bit of clutter.

The new TRE in-tank pump is silent compared to the POS Walbro, which makes me extra happy.

Team, I still have a nasty fuel smell after driving (and while extended 4x4 driving).

My nose tells me it's no longer leaking fuel anywhere near the fuel tank nor on the passenger side of the motor.

There is a pronounced fuel smell near the Holly Sniper.

I'm thinking of using my smoke tester to dive in further.

However, it's not obvious to me where the best place to hook the smoke tester up would be.

Perhaps the '3/8" Manifodl Vacuum (Brake Booster) nipple I've labeld as "Not used; Capped" above?

Others suggestions?

Team, I still have a nasty fuel smell after driving (and while extended 4x4 driving).

My nose tells me it's no longer leaking fuel anywhere near the fuel tank nor on the passenger side of the motor.

There is a pronounced fuel smell near the Holly Sniper.

I'm thinking of using my smoke tester to dive in further.

However, it's not obvious to me where the best place to hook the smoke tester up would be.

Perhaps the '3/8" Manifodl Vacuum (Brake Booster) nipple I've labeld as "Not used; Capped" above?

Others suggestions?

Smoke tester needs to be connected to
Direct source of vacuum on intake manifold….leaving all vacuum systems connected simultaneously to test.

Smoke tester needs to be connected to
Direct source of vacuum on intake manifold….leaving all vacuum systems connected simultaneously to test.
I hate being "that guy" and asking to be spoon-fed, but in this case I think I need to be spoon-fed. Where, specifically on my setup, is the "direct source of vacuum"?

I hate being "that guy" and asking to be spoon-fed, but in this case I think I need to be spoon-fed. Where, specifically on my setup, is the "direct source of vacuum"?
Think of the engine(combustion chamber) as a vacuum. So the combustion chamber creates a vacuum that pulls through the intake manifold/carburetor. So the closest source to the head is ideal, which is usually the threaded ports on the manifold (think vacuum tee, booster port, pcv port. In order to keep everything connected to test for air leaks, you’ll either need a tee or a vacuum port on the manifold.

See attached picture of your engine. PCV port is ideal.

IMG_5662.jpeg

See attached picture of your engine. PCV port is ideal.
Gracias.

I smoked it and found a culprit:

1695767726568.png

Capped:

1695767745208.png

No smoke anywhere else other than out the air filter housing. Will test and report back.

Re: Air filter housing. Mine has the accomdation for the heater thingy that is no longer installed. As a result that valve is closed and intake air enters from underneath, meaning it's always hot. Makes me want to know if I should force that flapper open so air's always cold (given Holly Sniper EFI). Thoughts on that?

1695767905277.png

Gracias.

I smoked it and found a culprit:

View attachment 3440986

Capped:

View attachment 3440987

No smoke anywhere else other than out the air filter housing. Will test and report back.

Re: Air filter housing. Mine has the accomdation for the heater thingy that is no longer installed. As a result that valve is closed and intake air enters from underneath, meaning it's always hot. Makes me want to know if I should force that flapper open so air's always cold (given Holly Sniper EFI). Thoughts on that?

View attachment 3440988
Helps in cold weather but right now without the pipe on the manifold it’s not that hot of air when cold. The EFI takes ambient air temp and coolant temp into account when setting A/F so there isn’t a need for it either way. You could ‘permanently’ close it or unbolt and make a sheet metal version without hole.

Drivability improved after capping that un-capped pipe.

However, fuel smell persisted.

In poking around further I pulled the hose out of the new charcoal canister and smelled for fuel. None.

Hmm....

That's when I noticed I had the purge valve plugged in backwards! Sheesh. I had the "CAN" side going to the fuel tank and the "TANK" side going to the canister.

Oops.

Just back from a test drive and I think it's finally fixed. But I've said this before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom