U.S soft top possibility version 2 east coast (1 Viewer)

What window configuration would you prefer in an OEM style soft top ?

• No windows

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3 solid windows :1per side, 1 back

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • 5 window : split side windows, 1 solid back

Votes: 70 26.5%
  • 7 windows : split side windows, 3 back windows

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • More than 1 type, I have multiple 'Cruisers

Votes: 15 5.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may help all concerned if someone could post up examples of 3, 5, and 7 window tops. I know someon has pictures out there.

Top looks awesome. Price seems fair as well. I, for one, appreciate all your hard work on this. I really hope this turns out to be a profitable venture for you.

Fabric Colors Samples

Hello All,

I need to let you know asap that the Putty Tweed is no longer available (just found out from suppliers). So, I wanted to attach the manufacturers samples of Oyster, Cadet Gray and Toast Tweed to give you an idea of those actual shades.

I will continue to update you on any changes or what's available.

Travis
oyster.jpg
cadet gray.jpg
toasttweed.jpg

More Color Choices/Samples

I have 3 more colors for you to choose from:

Forest Green
Linen Tweed
Hunter Tweed
forestgreen.jpg
linen tweed.jpg
huntertweed.jpg

I'm workin' on it!! :)

:hmm: :wrench: :hmm: :wrench: :hmm: :wrench: ........ :idea: :wrench::wrench:
Scott,
Take your time and get used to the arrival of your new little one. :flamingo::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:Take it from me little girls are totally the handful that they are reputed to be and you're gonna love every minute of it. ( Ok once they are pre teens it will be every other minute and as teens, once a day maybe twice a week kinda thing:grinpimp:)
John

Scott,
Take your time and get used to the arrival of your new little one. :flamingo::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:Take it from me little girls are totally the handful that they are reputed to be and you're gonna love every minute of it. ( Ok once they are pre teens it will be every other minute and as teens, once a day maybe twice a week kinda thing:grinpimp:)
John

Oh sure, family comes first! I've been enjoying my time with the new little one this past week. :)

Do the tops come with the twist locks and grommets for along the tub sides? And if so, are the grommets already installed along that bottom edge?

Just so you guys are aware of it, we're starting a thread in the Merchandise storefront forum for the sales end of things. Here's a crosslink. :)https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandis...q-soft-tops-oem-style-soft-tops-made-usa.html

I still plan to continue on with this thread for the time being as far as technical Q & A goes, and our continued efforts with half tops, trail covers, etc. It seems more appropriate to take the sales to the other forum though. Thanks :cheers:

Do the tops come with the twist locks and grommets for along the tub sides? And if so, are the grommets already installed along that bottom edge?

Bear with me over the next couple of days........ Softtopguy has asked me to answer questions if I can and to organize the sales thread. Feel free to ask away....just be patient. I have alot on my plate at the moment.:)

We want him to concentrate on making tops! :D We already have orders placed, and naturally his attention will be with them specifically at the moment. [He's working right now]

He's coming up to visit his new niece this weekend :), and we're going to take this time to sit down and spell out in detail what we have to offer. I know pretty well, but I'd rather have him describe much of this in his own words. It's a little overwhelming for me to answer individual questions one e-mail, PM, and post at a time. I'll do my best, but the goal is to simplify things and get most of this answered in one place.

My understanding is that softtopguy plans to include the hardware. He has more than one option with the fasteners.

He's not a big fan of the twist lock fasteners as he feels they just don't hold up well.

But he'd like to provide what you want if he's able to. :)

Last edited:
I have a brand new set of bows I just got from eshan. Mine is for my late model 1983 Bj42, will your top fit my bows? Evidentally there is a slight diff between the early and late models when it came to making the bows and top?

Rob

I have a brand new set of bows I just got from eshan. Mine is for my late model 1983 Bj42, will your top fit my bows? Evidentally there is a slight diff between the early and late models when it came to making the bows and top?

Rob

To tell you the truth, I don't know much at all about the 42's. :eek:

I'd better let the experts answer that one. If it's not the same, that might be something nice to get under our belt in the not too distant future.

First, I want to thank Randall "82cruiser" for allowing me to keep his OEM top and everything else he sent me without time restrictions. :clap:

Although I've never directly communicated with Johnny C, Scott "Highlandcruiser" certainly has, and he has been a wealth of knowledge and encouragement. :clap:

I want to thank Greg "Southerncruiser" for allowing me to house his rig, his hands on approach and for posting all the pictures.:clap:

I just wanted to personally second this. :beer:

There are also many, many others that have offered whatever they had to this project, parts, time, advice, suggestions. My PM box is full with messages from folks offering their support. Thank you ! We would have been hard pressed to accomplish this with out 'MUD. This forum is such an asset to our Land Cruiser community. What would we all do with out it? Good job Woody! Thank you too.:cheers:

If anyone knows the diff in the late models and the early please let us know, it has nothing to do with being a BJ42, I was only told that there is a slight diff in making the bows and top for the late model FJ/BJ's that had the amby doors from factory

Rob

Last edited:
If anyone knows the diff in the late models and the early please let us know, it has nothing to do with being a BJ42, I was only told that there is a slight diff in making the bows and top for the late model FJ/BJ's that had the amby doors from factory

Rob

as far as i know...an early oem soft top will work on later rigs... the only difference is that later rigs have the ambi doors...so that would have to be addressed with a tailgate or 'barn doors' or rear panel...size wise...early hardtops fit just fine on later (post 75) fj40's...and later hardtops fit on early (pre75) fj40's.

the oem soft tops have alot of adjustment and the canvas does have a great deal of flexability of size ...side to side ...and in the back.

I could be wrong...i just cant see the difference as being so significant that the oem soft top will not fit from early to later rigs. IMO

Randy ( 82cruiser ) has an early bows on his 82 cruiser...his old canvas was over 30 years old and it still fit...a bit snug...but it fit fine.

thank you, Eshan told me that there was a slight diff when making late model bows and top for late model FJ/BJ's. I would like to order one of these tops for they are very modern looking but need to know it will fit before ordering,

Rob

I can't for the life of me think of what would make a difference. [other than the rear doors] Would you happen to have any pictures of your bows installed?

Softtopguy and Highlandcruzer, really appreciate the hard work you guys have put into this project. I am a tarheel down at the beach (Morehead City area) so what I really like is the marine type fabric. I already have a full soft top for mine but would be interested in something like this for summer. I would not need the side windows (so no zippers) or the entire rear window-so delete the grommets and the two small windows. I guess you could call it a full bikini top with the rear corners going down to the tub. If you could give me an idea of price that would be great. Hate to throw a custom request in here since your all just getting started but not too big of departure from what your making, thanks!
bikinitop.jpg

That shouldn't be a problem Bucfan. :)

I'll discuss it with softtopguy this weekend, and we'll figure out a price. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom