TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am about to order the Blue Sea fuse box, relays, circuit breakers, wire, USB/12 volt plugs, etc. What else should I do while I am running all of the wire in the interior? I already ran a power cable and rca to the back for a backup camera. Already installed a 4 channel amp under the driver seat and installed a sub amp in the back quarter panel area on the passenger side. The plan is to have a USB/12 bolt hookup in the very back, on the back of the center console and also inside the center console.

What else?

Eventually I will run an LED strip with a switch under the hood. Might run some seat warmers...maybe. A headrest monitor for the little one.

Have you seen these?

2015-06-12_BussmannRTMR_Z2A2646_web800.jpg

You're spoiled

You will have to do the same amount of terminal ends to do the same job with the fuse panel and individual relays. Just in a smaller, neater package. If you can wire one, you can wire the other.

Here is a big bonus, if you use individual relays you will have to run a power source to each. The Bussman has a bus bar for both the relays and another for the fuses. One power source powers 5 relays and 10 fuses

Gotcha, well I was just planning on running 2 relays to trigger the LC starting. Basically runnit exactly as in the FJ link above. Is that bad?

I can not follow that link

Just a thought, an alternative way to achieve the same end result :)

Just a thought, an alternative way to achieve the same end result :)

Thanks Stan. In case you haven't noticed I ask LOTS of questions bc the only thing I know is that I don't know much. ;)

@tgadd nice first weld, you're over the hump of fear! The HF flux core welder gets a bad rap, but is a solid unit for the hobbyist. I've done a good amount of sheet metal with it, probably better options but it's all ive known so far. I can say swapping out the HF wire for Lincoln and/or Hobart wire is well worth it, very noticeable difference. Amazon prime has some good prices

@roadstr6 gave me a good tip to smack the weld with a hammer immediately to flatten it while it's hot, cuts down on the amount of grinding

Learned to weld, ain't pretty. Especially since used a Harbor Freight flux core welder.

Adding expanded metal to frames to make attachable fences to the International's axe throwing target courtesy of @roadstr6 design

View attachment 1405434

Flux core = sux core. Once you go gas, you never go back :)

In all seriousness, there are probably others that were able to deal with flux core a lot better than I, but it took a few attempts at learning on flux core to convince me to get the gas setup for my welder.

When you do decide to go the gas route, get the next bigger (or 2 sizes) up than you think you will need/can afford. The price of gas drops significantly with larger tanks.

@tgadd when you are welding on that expanded metal, start your weld on the frame, the heavier metal, and bring it to the expanded metal. All you need do is melt into it the size of half a dime. Do that on every one and it will not be going anywhere. :)

^^^ agreed. Gas is a spoiler.

Looking for a tank and reg for my HF box that can transition to a real welder when funds allow.

For now I take the visible stuff to rices :grinpimp:

Thanks again man for letting me melt some metal this weekend in the interest of preserving whats yet to be wrinkled on the rear quarter. :beer:

Stop pin reattached and pin receiver beefed up on the 80 swingout

^^^ agreed. Gas is a spoiler.

Looking for a tank and reg for my HF box that can transition to a real welder when funds allow.

For now I take the visible stuff to rices :grinpimp:

Thanks again man for letting me melt some metal this weekend in the interest of preserving whats yet to be wrinkled on the rear quarter. :beer:

Stop pin reattached and pin receiver beefed up on the 80 swingout

Any time dude. Always a nice day if it includes beer and a 5000 degree arc.

20170218_142632.jpg

That moment presents itself to make some progress on the long overdue home built slider project, search the shelves to drag down that 13' of 2x3" .120" wall tubing, saved special for the project, measure twice, mark steel and measure again then smile as I drag out one of my favorite tools, the Baleigh cold saw, makes cutting tubing a breeze, that is until reality strikes you down...
IMG_1897.JPG

No friggen way, phawk, jaws can't stretch enough to fit...

Drag down the sawzall, find a fresh blade and prepare to hand cut, out of the corner of my eye, I spy my ancient, Northern Tool chop saw buried under my welding table, remembering why I saved it, it has 6" of clamping space. Proven again that hoarding works...

IMG_1898.JPG

Got the piece cut, put in place and measurements taken for the arms coming from the frame.

IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG

Next step is to make templates and cut the frame mounts (weld-on), then I can cut the legs on the cold saw out of 1.5x1.5" .250" wall tubing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom