Turn Signals or blinkers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
78 40
So all of a sudden my blinkers start acting crazy...
One day, the left blinker would stay on when activated, but not blinking, just ON.
A few days later, both sides are doing this.
So, I've been checking bulbs and fuses so far and have found the following...

lo/hi beams work fine
hazard flashers work fine
running lights work fine
brake lights work fine
reverse lights work fine

All turn signals do not work fine, they just stay on until I push the switch down.
I am thinking maybe there is a solenoid somewhere that might have died?
I found a small gray metal box up near the fuse block that is quite difficult to reach.
Is this the blinker relay/solenoid or is it the seat belt warning buzzer?
There is a larger metal box nearby, too that says emission on it...

Anyone had similar problem care to share the solution?

Thanks in advance!

I had a similair problem on 57 chevy one time. It had a round metal rely/flasher unit that plugged into two wires under the dash and it was that simple.

Usually they don't blink if there isn't enough current passing through the flasher - due to a burned out bulb. Kind of suspicious that they both quit though. I'd start by turning the signal on and checking all of the bulbs. Try the easy stuff first. If they all work, then could be the flasher, or a break in the wiring.

Have fun!

I've got a similar problem right now with my FJ45, but happens with LH and RH indicators and Hazard switch. Could hear my flasher unit buzzing which is mounted inside on the firewall between the go pedal and the brake pedal. I've pulled it apart and found the buzzing is one of the switches not contacting properly as though it's not getting enough volts to hold it in, but am getting 12 volts at the connector and little resistance through the coils. I'm not 100% sure how the flasher unit works, but I am thinking thats what is stuffed. All bulbs are working too. So guess I'll have to find a replacement flasher relay now

The strange thing about Mainer7's problem is that the hazards work, so the flasher unit must be OK. If it weren't, the flashers wouldn't work either.

Lights coming on and staying on is a symptom of a burned out bulb. There might be a short somewhere but then they wouldn't come on at all.

Sorry, not much help, just thinking out loud for the moment.

Any 12V 2-wire flasher unit will work just fine (my BJ is 2-wire, not sure about FJ's). If you prefer Toyota, then expect to pay big $$$. At least that was my experience on my 81BJ42. My truck is 24V and I've been running a $7 12V flasher for over a year now with no issues.

I had a similar problem on my 76. Turned out ot be a bad flasher module. I replaced with a new 2 prong flasher unit and it worked great. BTW, the metal hard to reach box by the fuse panel is probably the old OEM flasher. Mine made the noise like it was working, and blinked on one side but not the other.

Hope it helps.
Cheers

mine was the flasher unit, just replaced it with a $10 unit from the local auto supply shop and all is good now, they just blink a little slower than with the OEM unit.

Maybe Mainer7's problem is in the actual stalk on the steering column. Poor contact there maybe causing a low voltage at the flasher unit and this maybe why it still works well when using hazard switch as the stalk is bypassed.

Have you rechecked the ground? There's a wire inside the unit under the lens cover that goes to the divider which I think attaches to the mounting post (later style flashers). I had intermittent issues with my flashers for a while until I ran a separate ground from the mounting post to another good ground off of the fender. HTH.

Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom