Turn Signal Switch- - conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billetriflesystems.com
Hey Mud,

I’m replacing a functioning turn signal switch with a new version as the turn switch has intermittent issues when using the turn signals.

The old switch works approximately 80% of the time but I’m replacing it because the lever is broken off and I’d like it to work 100% of the time.

I purchased a replacement from Mudrak in Sonoma, only to find out the switch he sold me had different connectors.

I mailed it back to him and he/his crew swapped some older style connectors on it.

I installed the switch today but now the turn signals work but NO headlights. No low beam or high.

I’m thinking they misplaced a pin on swapping the harness connections so I checked them, all are good.

I trace back into the loom for some unknown issue and I find two wires that were butt connected into one. The below picture shows the new switch with a red/white wire and red/yellow wire butt connected into just the red yellow wire which is pinned to the correct location per comparison to the old switch.

After further review, the old turn signal switch doesn’t even have a red/white wire and the soldered connections on the circuit board look to be quite different?

I’d prefer to not have to ship this back to Sonoma for a quick fix and I’d really like to get it installed today. Can anyone shed any insight to this new switch/old connector dilemma?

Thanks for any input.

My FJ40 is a 77'.

23ECA839-D1E0-4BF7-866E-B250BBC12456.jpeg

200F1B4A-6C42-42C4-A58A-842646E1B3B2.jpeg

1D4C81FF-DBAB-4747-954C-3DA6FA7772DF.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't say what year you have but think it might earlier than the turn signal you got. Early only did high low on the headlights while later had the option of pulling the handle towards you to flash the high beams. That required a extra hot wire. Looks like they messed up the wiring for that plug.

You have two different turn/dimmer switches in your photos.
Your original only has a single reed switch; the later version has two reed switches.
The later version appears to be wired correctly for its reed switches, and has the WB wire for the headlight flashing operation.
Your photo of the low beam position indicates correctly that the forward reed switch contacts are touching.
However, while your photo of the high beam operation of the later switch shows the rearmost reed switch lower contacts touching, providing power to the high beams, it appears to show the forward reed switch still in the closed position. Not certain for your application that both the low and high beam are to be lighted at the same time when in high beam operation.

Also unclear what has been cobbled together in the wiring leading to your turn/dimmer switch. I realize that many parts have long been discontinued, and sometimes even been superceded by a "revised" component designed to be "one size fits all." Sometimes replacement parts create hiccups in their operation, especially aftermarket copies of original parts. Along with the components you're using, some time spent researching your year wiring diagrams and comparing that to the wiring you actually have in the vehicle will lead you to the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom