Turbo vs. steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have posted in the hard core corner and they suggested that I try with this group. I am installing (finally :D) my 12ht into my 45 and it seems that the turbo & the steering box are fighting to see who stays :whoops: . Since two solid objects can not occupy the same space at the same time I need to relocate one of them. The turbo seems to be the one to get moved. My options so far is to 1) move the turbo further down the exhaust line and away from the box, say near the fire wall& left side. This will probably cause lag but how much? 2) Build a short header pip maybe 2” or 3” angled away from the block and hopefully above the box. Less lag if any. 3) Flip the exhaust manifold to face up. This may be the easiest way but can it be done and will this push my turbo out of the hood?? And then there are the other alternatives that I did not see and would like to hear from you if you have any. Any & all help would be appreciated by me. Thanks in advance. Brian :confused:

Brian,

I have a 12H-t in my troopie and i dont have any problems. I'm not sure if you want to go with saginaw or 60 series PS, cause that would solve the clearance issues.
I can e-mail pictures of the steering shaft, turbo and PS box if you want to.

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark I would like to see what you have done to fix this problem. Like you D.C.H. the majority seems to go with the relocating the box and no the turbo. The truck has factory power steering and it was mentioned to swap that out for a Saginaw or 60 set up on the other post (sorry for double posting) what would be better? I am going to try and post a photo of it.

Well so much for my photo posting talent.

I think cruiseroutfitters or proffitscruisers did this very same swap into a 45 troopie recently. Search the threads in this forum.

Dave

Thanks guys for your help! I will look up that post.

Tapage,
I will E-mail you some pictures to post, if that's no problem with you.

Mark

Here the pics .. I need to reduce all to get proper view in the forum format ..

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

if you can use this engine .. you can send it to me ( littel gift .. ;) ) Nice engine anycase ..

IMG_0324.JPG

Thanks for posting David.
Brian,
The first pic. is as you can see the 60 series PS box, just to show you an inpression if you want to go this route.
Second pic. is the top view for the clearance between the turbo and steering box mount. In the middle you can see the steering shaft.
Thirth pic. is a view from within the fender, towards the steering box mount.
And the fourth pic. is just an overall look of the enginebay.

I do think the OEM ps will fit in combination with the 12H-t, at least in my truck.

I hope this helps a little with your swap.
No matter what, you're gonna love this engine.

Mark

sorry for the late .. in posting the other pics .. ( you know the responsibility )

4_44_PMurbo.jpg

The problem here is the type of steering box, that are using ..

4_45_PMurbo.jpg

yous must change it ..

What is a better set up the siginaw or the 60? I was reading another post (not related) and a steering colum co. came up so I looked it over and found this http://www.ididit.com/newproducts_shorty.html can some thing like this be used with the 60 or sig. set up & would it help or make things more dificalt?? I will keep you in mind it my swap goes soure & I need a tax wright off. }:) Brian

I have a similar problem. 2H into an FJ40 with a toyota mini ps box. I need 8" for turbo and only have 6"

Mark is the troopie’s frame the same dimensions as a 40 or like my 45? If so what did you do for the motor mounts??

Brian,

The front of the frame is exactly the same, no difference between a 40 and a 45.
I used FJ 40 frame brackets, just like you have and for the engine mounts, you can either use HJ 47 mounts or pre 11-84 HJ 60 mounts.
The HJ 60 mounts also have the mounting for the early style PS pump, the HJ 47 don't.

HTH

Mark

Thanks again Mark,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom