turbo manifold project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweeeet Rick! looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks, I need to have a couple of small changes made to the pattern to better facilitate machining and then it's off into a production piece.

Do you have any plans to CAD up the final design and have it produced to sell?

Do you have any plans to CAD up the final design and have it produced to sell?

The design is all set. The changes that need to be made are to allow the machinist to more effectively spot face two areas on the manifold.

To go into production an additional jig needs to be made to automate the machining process. This last cost will be amortized over the first production run. I'm hoping to be able to have 10 pieces made which I'll sell 8 to recoup my money for the manifold.

I'll be getting pricing next week and that will determine how much a manifold will cost and whether or not it's even feasible to do a run of 10.

Excellent. Well if not you have a kick-ass one off manifold. :beer:

rick nice work. i love how low the turbo is. easier to keep it cool down there. the compressor wont be in the way of every thing. i cant wait to see it finished. i almost wish mine would crack so i could do one of yours

have you started to mock up the downpipe yet? you dont have much room to work with behind your turbo. by the time you bolt on your vband clamp that will be a tight turn. if you want to make your new turbo user/install friendly why dont you go ahead and produce 10 runs of downpipes that integrate the wastegate and take the exhaust at least to the underside of the truck...

then do the intercooler plumbing mass production...

you may need to ditch your day job....

Thanks Dusty, I really don't know where this whole thing is going. Right now the exhaust routing is over the frame but under the AC return line, just as the factory set up is. I'm planning on buying one of the Rage systems since it's probably the best 3" over the frame, factory mounting systems out there. One possibility would be to make a down pipe that bolts right to that so anyone could go with a 3" exhaust with little to no trouble at all.

Of course that exhaust would require welding in O2 bungs and a CAT, but it would be a real nice set up.

I've been toying with the idea of a group build if there was interest. As I make items like down pipes, braces, heat shields, etc. the people involved would help to reduce costs on those items and be able to get a system even cheaper.

The problem is I really have no idea what the final cost will be so it's hard for people to commit to that. Also there would be a plethora of negativity I'm sure which will always install some doubt in how things are being done regardless of who is doing it.

Glad you are still having some good luck with that manifold. It was that design that lead me to not putting a joint on this one. Adding a joint really complicated things and would have made the manifold beyond my financial ability to do.

I am late as usual, but I am onboard for the manifold and the entire system if you have it manufactured. The group buy sounds like a great idea, hopefully people will sign on. Nice work.

Any ideas where we could tap into an oil feed?

We "T" into the system at the oil pressure sending unit. The turbo in the pics is a T4 GT35R which also requires coolant lines. I've laid out all the lines and will be using SS lines with -AN connectors. This layout does require welding bungs in place but I'm sure there are other means to install them.

Larger injectors have been loosely thought out but the initial setup will be with 8PSI boost which the stock injectors hopefully will handle.

I have no plans on using anything but the stock ECU for fuel management.

That's stupendous work. I understand why people turbo these things after crawling up a 2-lane mtn road, towing a pop-up camper, at 30 mph last weekend.

i just read thru this entire thread, very impressive work. Cant wait to see that engine in the cruiser.
cheers

impressive manifold for sure! That motor has been punished by the poor MA road salt... or are you near the coast?

What brand/size turbo is that? What A/R size on the turbine housing?

Here is my setup! GT35R ball bearing turbo. Stock inj/pump/computer (no tuning) with 8psi.
lx450turboenginezoom.JPG

It a GT35R .85 AR. I'm going with a liquid/air intercooler as well. Glad to see 8psi with the stock system is working for you.

I see you aren't recirculating the BOV, that's supposed to be a no no. Have you measured your AFR coming abruptly off of WOT?

Last edited:
I have an Innovate WB02 sensor with the digital readout near the DIFF LOCK switch. It runs rich all the time. 10K miles later... no issues. It does like oil seemingly like all the 1FZ's.

I believe my A/R on the turbine is .82 I'll have to look this weekend.

Gives some turbo diesel trucks a run for their money :D

The packaging of the air/water intercooler will be much nicer. Mine has miles of intercooler piping that gets pretty hot to the touch. I'd like to measure my inlet air temps at the TB.
LX450turboenginebay.JPG

Have you dynoed your truck? How fast does it spools?

I have an Innovate WB02 sensor with the digital readout near the DIFF LOCK switch. It runs rich all the time. 10K miles later... no issues. It does like oil seemingly like all the 1FZ's.

I believe my A/R on the turbine is .82 I'll have to look this weekend.

Gives some turbo diesel trucks a run for their money :D

The packaging of the air/water intercooler will be much nicer. Mine has miles of intercooler piping that gets pretty hot to the touch. I'd like to measure my inlet air temps at the TB.

There are 3 t3 housings, .63, .82 and 1.06 and 2 t4 housings, .58 and .68.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom