Tuning engine without ignition key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Winter is comming here and I want to turn the engine off my 72 with direct power to the starter. The truck has only the front bib with drivetrain. I'd prefer not to remove the bib, radiator and shroud to turn it by hand. I don't want it to start, just to turn to prevent seizure. Can someone tell me how to get it wired correctly? thanks

The safest way is to disconnect the hot wire going to the distributor and disconnect the fuel line before the fuel pump.
Then you can use a store-bought starter button to energize the starter solenoid or improvise a momentary switch to same.

to clarify my question, where do I put voltage on the starter to make it work directly from a 12v battery. There is no fuel tank so the truck won't start. it's only to turn the engine so it won't seize with time

to clarify my question, where do I put voltage on the starter to make it work directly from a 12v battery. There is no fuel tank so the truck won't start. it's only to turn the engine so it won't seize with time
On the solenoid there is a copper stud next to the stud that goes to the + side of the battery. That will turn the starter.

attach + battery cable to starter
- cable to block
stick a screwdriver to make contact between the + battery cable and spade where the wire that comes from the ignition switch

Why not simply do as @byron suggested in post 3?

Engine will turn but will not start. Isn’t that the goal?🤷

I thought the OP doesn't have the key and wants to wire it and turn it over.

Don’t do it that way with your favorite screwdriver because it’s liable to have arc marks on the blade tip.

I forgot to add that part, I have some screwdrivers that were used as pry bars so the tip isn't in good shape anyway.

I needed to "hot wire" a rig today and did this but added a jumper wire to the ballast resistor to get power to the coil.

Ok, I see that in the thread title now. Sorry.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom