Tuffy console mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Have any of you modded your Tuffy consoles in your 62s? I've had mine out for a while and now that I'm finally working on getting my truck back in good order I'm wanting to reinstall it and make it look nice and factory on top of the rear heater. I've got some ideas for myself and am playing around with ideas for accommodating the rear heater valve so that I won't have to bend the valve handle.

Lemme see what you've done. I'm curious to get some more ideas.

I painted the interior white... it's too dark inside it...
Added USB plugs to the DS & PS

This was on a 60...
no heater box under it...
15667541592465866715531805107468.png

I like the idea of painting the interior white. Once all my mods (which will involve some welding) are done I'll have it powder coated to match the charcoal interior color of my 62, but I'll have my dude do the inside in white. That's a pretty slick idea.

Also here's a question: has anyone found any better cup holders than the janky ones that Tuffy sells??

There’s a great thread or two on modifying the Smittybuilt console for the rear heater in the FJ62.
I know it’s not the tuffy, but they might be just the visuals you are after!
Here’s a few of mine...
The little bracket thingy came with the Smittybuilt console.

F3745BEF-968E-47C2-97E8-7D288B7F9FA4.jpeg

D9B22CFD-A160-4418-8097-8CFDC05AD6DF.jpeg

FB71882C-F0ED-429F-AEF9-720E478C5930.jpeg

763B62D2-D878-48B8-8E6B-1DAA983A5EF5.jpeg

39C5EB77-EDF7-46C1-99E3-BB1CFE7A6136.jpeg

A few more...
I happen to like the cup holders from tuffy.
I bought an extra for the back of the box for my daughters to use.

View attachment 2067121

View attachment 2067122

View attachment 2067123

View attachment 2067124

I like that a lot. That simple bracket cleans up the appearance very nicely. I realized when I pulled my rear heater housing that I can't make the skirting I was wanting to because it would prevent air from getting to the rear heater blower. I really dig how you integrated the factory 62 console heater section to accomodate the heater valve. I was considering doing some fancy sheet metal work to make mine go, but I like what you did much more. Would look really slick if I could have the console powder coated to exactly match the color of the plastic. Is that a 10" console?

I believe it’s 9” wide.

Here’s one of the threads.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about mine is that it's always locked. I keep my key on my key ring, so if the vehicle is running I can't open the thing unless I turn off the vehicle and unlock it. Even if I had it on a separate key ring it would still be annoying to use the key to unlock it if I'm driving and want to open it.

The only thing I don't like about mine is that it's always locked. I keep my key on my key ring, so if the vehicle is running I can't open the thing unless I turn off the vehicle and unlock it. Even if I had it on a separate key ring it would still be annoying to use the key to unlock it if I'm driving and want to open it.

That’s weird. Why is it always locked? My Tuffy isn’t like that.

Also here's a question: has anyone found any better cup holders than the janky ones that Tuffy sells??
Tuffy is a bottomless pit, plenty of storage but what I need is a bit more function. Plans to start mods is falsely floor for 6 in miiini sub, pull the row of powered cigarette plugs out, clip wires and move functional switches to the front. As for the stupid design on the cup holders I pulled the cut template that were the bumpers to keep the side of a yeti banging around, used the template to cut some soft foam to keep it centered and metal on metal. Then the bottom I had some spare boat trailer rail carpet I cut to size. About as good as it’s going to get for now.

1465C86F-77C3-40F6-94CF-39E96CA60CFD.jpeg

25775181-0EA0-4D10-AF52-D5619534E14E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom