Tuff Dog Return to Center (RTC) steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone using the "Tuff Dog RTC steering damper/stabilizer?, If so can you elaborate on it's performance? Looking to replace my old unit with a new damper and would appreciate any input on the "Tuff Dog".

tuff dog.jpg

No experience with that one, but the coil spring seems like a bad idea. You want the damper to resist movement in both directions equally. For that matter, I had one of the bolt-on aftermarket ones once, made driving through every parking lot an adventure and gave me Popeye forearms. Went to the Old Man Emu and all is good. The steering damper is one place where you shouldn't even notice it if it's working.

Think'en real hard about the OME... :hmm: Reviewed a couple youtube vids on the RTC. The logic is there, just don't know if the physics add up. The stated operation contends that the RTC damper when compressed, the spring pushes back to the neutral position. When extended, the spring pulls back to the neutral position. My 76 is immobile at the moment. Come suspension time I'll address the damper. Hopefully, one of our distinguished colleagues has tested an RTC and can give some hands on feedback. Thanks for the response and the OME suggestion (can't go wrong)

I guess I should say "resist movement, but not make it harder to move." Loading a spring in either direction seems like an arm exercise (unless you've got power steering).

Fer' sure...Tuff Dog shows a PS and a NPS model. My 76 is NPS and parallel parking/slow short turns/ backing the john boat can be a challenge coordination, patience and brute strength. I don't want to add the extra effort of grunting on a coil spring to my driving excitement. At $115 US plus $35 shipping from "down under" it's a bit on the pricey side for a damper. But, if it operates as advertised it may be worth an extra hour or two slaving in the salt mines... If I pick one up I'll slap it on the ole test mule and write up a review.

You should not need any help returning to center from the steering damper. IMO it's an unnecessary gimick at best and troublesome at worst.

While normally not a CCOT fan, I have a steering damper from them and it mounts in the stock location and with a coat of black paint looks close to original.

Hi I got my 55 running a couple of months ago with power steering and front disc conversion I started with original 60 series dampener the steering floated a fair bit. I got a tuff dog rtc off a mate the difference is unreal your not chasing the wheel there is no extra pressure needed to turn and just letting the wheel go it returns to centre a lot better than the original strong arm steering. Highly recommended.

Hi I got my 55 running a couple of months ago with power steering and front disc conversion I started with original 60 series dampener the steering floated a fair bit.

Not sure what you mean by "floated", but my fj40 with saginaw ps and no steering damper works just great. It is set up with about 5 degrees of caster, which helps the steering return to center without any magic tricks.

Just saying I like it. The floating I was talking about was the big wheel I seemed to always be moving it a lot I had sports wheel and no ps in other one. But since I put rtc on over bumps potholes it stays straight

shouldn't the center arm return the steering to center? You shouldn't need this though I don't see the harm in it either.

I just completed mine and installed it on the weekend.

I am running 35 inch tires with a four inch lift and Slee drop arms. My castor is 5 degrees on the driver side and 4.9 on the other. Slee Offroad has told me that for my lift size and tire combo 5 degrees is good and they typically like to see higher numbers for castor on the lifted trucks.

My truck has pretty much drives in a straight line but did suffer from bump steer and would be tracked easily on rutted black top - especially at highway speeds. At higher speeds I was correcting my steering on irregular blacktop.

This is completely gone - night and day. Bonus is what happens in the parking lot. The steering wheel likes to return to center - imagine that! I can take my hand off the wheel and it behaves like my wife's car - especially helpful in maneuvering.

i helped my brother install one of these on his 75 series cruiser, and what JUNK! made the steering heavier and its felt less responsive (obviously) made stuff all difference to return to centre...., so we removed the spring and just used the damper...much nicer, there a gimmick imo. If you need a coil spring to assist return to centre...your doing it wrong

I installed the RTC damper on My 76 TLC FJ40 which is currently manual steering. The shackles I am using are a tad bit longer than the stock shackles I removed. I know my caster is out of kilter due to longer shackles. If I start with the 2 deg shims to get the angle back to somewhere manageable (2.2-2.4??) I should be OK. May have to re-think this if I switch out the springs and shackles via OME or Hell Creek 2 1/2 lift. But I still want to test the RTC Damper..It's an easy install and I want to test the steering with and without the RTC damper..I need to back the RTC spring off about a 1/4" before testing. Pic shows RTC loosley bolted in to the stock damper location. Old Rancho damper can still be seen.

If its crap, I'll call it like I see it :flush:. If it works, then I'll pitch my 2 cents worth of "At'a boy" :clap:.

photo(80).JPG

Maybe a gator or something covering the piston is an idea?? Not trying to bring a good product down.. but it looks like the piston seal is recessed and can collect dirt easily making it prone to leaking??

but it looks like the piston seal is recessed and can collect dirt easily making it prone to leaking??

Hmmm. I'll give it a "look see" this weekend..Probably not going to be able to put it to the test this weekend.

Hmmm. I'll give it a "look see" this weekend..Probably not going to be able to put it to the test this weekend.
Just reading this thread. What was your take on the RTC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom