Truck Trend 6 SUV comparision includes a LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:flipoff2: They compared the new VW Touareg, Range Rover LR3, Jeep GC, Dodge Ram Power wagon, Toyota Landcruiser, and Hummer H3. They put them through on and off road testing including rocks, sand, hill climb and general off road fun and games. They ranked them in the following order. LR3 first, Hummer H3 second, Dodge Ram Power wagon third, VW Touareg fourth, Jeep Grand Cherokee Fifth and the Toyota Landcruiser Sixth.

Here is what they said about our beautiful Landcruiser: "With 50 years of heritage, the Land Cruiser has conquered uncivilized terrain in over 150 countries. Compared with its current competition, today's Land Cruiser, not surprisingly, is a dated piece of machinery. Its years of production have paid for the tooling, and you can bet Toyota still makes a generous profit on every $60K unit. Shod with more aggressive tires and without the trailer hitch dragging, we're sure the Land Cruiser would've placed higher. While it lacks refinement, the L.C. still has the goods to get the job done, but in light of the advancements its competition has made, in this test, it sits at the end of the line." When I read the article based on what they wrote I did not expect them to put the LC last. I find the more I know about different vehicles the more I tend to disagree with how these car/truck rags rate vehicles. Also "Truck Trend" is known for being wrong about the spec's of the vehicles they write about. Example the LC has all of the high tech traction control electronics that the newer rides had but they kept wanting to call it old fashion. WEIRD!!! hers to truck trend :flipoff2:

Truck Trend is only really good if you have two copies. One to s*** on, and the other to wipe your ass with.

I will hold my head in shame as I tick through the 200,000 mile mark on the odometer.

We had better keep our hitches dragging... You never know when you might find one of the above vehicles in need of a tow to their local dealer! As for myself, I'm still playing with the Bluetooth wireless cell phone connection and rearview camera in my "dated piece of machinery!"

I'd be a little nervous venturing too far from the dealer in the new LR3. Best let the bugs get worked out of that new model for the next 5 years or so. Same for the new H3 - An all-new GM chassis and inline 5 cylinder... Scary.

Who had the ad on the back cover of that magazine? Just wondering here if there might be a slight bias to the big spenders...

--
Patrick

LMAO. My wife had to take another gal to book club the other night because their Toureg couldn't get out of the driveway. The Toureg thought it had a flat tire when it didn't and won't move when the sensor tells it the tire is flat. They hate the thing. It has been in the shop more than 45 days in the 14 months they have owned it.

Well I drove a Colorado with the 5 cyl and I can say I wasn't impressed:rolleyes: I can just imagine that motor hauling around the heavy H3.

The only motor available in the H3 is a 5cyl? Whatever, doesn't make any sense.

As a total outsider, I would rank in this order from

First impressions
1. LR3 (distictive inside/out)
2. Toerag (nice interior)
3. Land Cruiser
4. Dodge Power Wagon
5. H3

Actually spend money on
1. Land Cruiser
2. Dodge Power Wagon

Actually I agree with Truck Trend in that it is dated and is showing it. It is beautiful inside and out, but the "what have you done for me lately" market demands 'all new'. The LX470 has more content which keeps it more fresh.

Having said that, there really isn't a big SUV with the ability or pedigree of the 100. Putting their own wallet down and when advertisers backs are turned, I'm sure 99% of magazine writers would buy the 100.

Did anyone of the competitors actually have the rear locker option (tough to get on the Touareg however)?? This may have given them some advantage. 4/6 of them (except PowerWagon) have ATRAC standard and has the rear locker as an option. Dodge PowerWagon is a beast...i would take this over any Hummer H2/H3...and really tough choice against H1.

I am shocked that TruckTrend criticizes TLC for lack of refinement...compared to H3, PowerWagon, Jeep GC??!!!! Am i missing something here??!!

I would love to see how effective the new electronic QuadraDrive system on Jeep GC. The older system sucked really bad...was not very good with cross-axled action.

Hehe, kinda glad that they did not include the G500...it would be dead last for sure!! If they think that TLC is dated...i can imagine what they will say about G500! :D

Last edited:
I have to admit it. I had an LR3, two weeks ago, for 3 days. At 200 miles on the odo, had a problem with the fancy computer. Had it trailered to the dealer, and after 3 days and doing my research online about other's problems, they still hadn't fixed it and I saw the writing on the wall - this thing was going to spend a lot of time in the shop.

When the service manager told me it has 33 computers and fiber optic cables in it and they were still trying to figure it out, it was confirmed - it had to go. I couldn't risk computer problems in my over the road vehicle in a blizzard.

So, I bought a Cruiser, and couldn't be happier. The only advantages in the LR3 were:

1) New styling - but I think my Cruiser looks pretty awesome too
2) I loved the individual fold flat seats in the rear
3) Rear diff lock - but a computer decided when you needed it.
4) Heated rear seats

Best thing about the cruiser? It doesn't have a computer to tell you whats wrong, or 10 pages in the owners manual to explain all the potential computer problems you could have.

Wow! Based on that I am going to sell my cruisers

How ironic, i owned a VW,- sucked left me stranded twice with blown headgaskets. Owned a Dodge truck- at 33,000 miles it knocked like a diesel, missed shifts all the time, and would cut off sometimes when turning right. Sold my Chev. K-5 because I could never trust it- except all the parts that I put on it. I have had a Corolla, a Hi-Lux and now the Camry and Cruiser and I will say screw them #6 is where it's at!
Thus ends my sermon! :D
Scott

Truck Trend said:
LR3 first, Hummer H3 second, Dodge Ram Power wagon third, VW Touareg fourth, Jeep Grand Cherokee Fifth and the Toyota Landcruiser Sixth.

Is this a list of SUV advertising budgets in dollar order?

These guys will always like the latest new thing even if it sucks. For some perspective check out the Toureg long-term test article in this month's Four Wheeler.

The H3 and Power Wagon are not in anywhere near the same class as the others in this test. They hould have had a G500, an LX470, H2 and maybe a Cadillac Escalade in the group. If they don't even know what they are testing no wonder the ranks make no sense.

Last edited:
Let's admit it.....a stock 100 has it's issues against newer rigs here in 2005.
Some are:
Lesser app and dep angles
No rear locker
No Hill DC
No disco sway bars

Let's think of this though...Take all those tested rigs and add $1000 in mods to each, then compare. Hmmm?

Then take $1500 in mods to each and compare. The 100 and Dodge are the most buildable IMO. Modified the Dodge loses out....too big...poor breakover.

Just thoughts. :)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Let's admit it.....a stock 100 has it's issues against newer rigs here in 2005.
Some are:
Lesser app and dep angles
No rear locker
No Hill DC
No disco sway bars

Let's think of this though...Take all those tested rigs and add $1000 in mods to each, then compare. Hmmm?

Then take $1500 in mods to each and compare. The 100 and Dodge are the most buildable IMO. Modified the Dodge loses out....too big...poor breakover.

Just thoughts. :)

Well, it is probably not a good idea to compare modifications since most of these SUVs cost LESS than TLC100 to begin with. So, to get to the dollar value that you spent on modifying a TLC100, you can modify a Touareg/H3/etc. more...more money in the bank on these vehicles after you buy them to modify.

What really goes against TLC100 is that stock off-road equipment/features are standard among the vehicles above, yet it still costs quite a bit more...less bang for the buck in off-roading. Of course, we all know why it costs more...it's better built. Unfortunately, not many writers see the "better built" part...they only focus on the features. (Remember, this was one of the arguments by you guys against my G500.:D)

As for the Dodge PowerWagon, it has tremendous stuff on it...great bang for the buck. If I only want an off-road vehicle, it would be either Jeep Rubicon or Dodge PowerWagon. You simply cannot get better equipment for off-road, even from aftermarket stores! (The rear differential gear locker/Torsen LSD combo was first of it's kind on the market when the Rubicon came out!) The full lockers, the underbody skids, beefed up springs/shocks, beefed up axles, electronic front disconnecting anti-roll bar (true disconnecting!), custom-built Warn winch, and low gearing are amazing stuff! Damn, i need to have a few of these things on my G500 too!

Approach/departure/breakover angles exceed that of stock TLC100. And, here's the kicker, this thing cost about $15-20K less than stock TLC100! It is a big vehicle...but TLC100 is not a small dog either. Of course, 20 years from now, TLC100 would still be around...PowerWagon would be in the junkyard.:D

Last edited:
Thai said:
Well, it is probably not a good idea to compare modifications since most of these SUVs cost LESS than TLC100 to begin with. So, to get to the dollar value that you spent on modifying a TLC100, you can modify a Touareg/H3/etc. more...more money in the bank on these vehicles after you buy them to modify.

What really goes against TLC100 is that stock off-road equipment/features are standard among the vehicles above, yet it still costs quite a bit more...less bang for the buck in off-roading. Of course, we all know why it costs more...it's better built. Unfortunately, not many writers see the "better built" part...they only focus on the features. (Remember, this was one of the arguments by you guys against my G500.:D)

As for the Dodge PowerWagon, it has tremendous stuff on it...great bang for the buck. If I only want an off-road vehicle, it would be either Jeep Rubicon or Dodge PowerWagon. You simply cannot get better equipment for off-road, even from aftermarket stores! (The rear differential gear locker/Torsen LSD combo was first of it's kind on the market when the Rubicon came out!) The full lockers, the underbody skids, beefed up springs/shocks, beefed up axles, electronic front disconnecting anti-roll bar (true disconnecting!), custom-built Warn winch, and low gearing are amazing stuff! Damn, i need to have a few of these things on my G500 too!

Approach/departure/breakover angles exceed that of stock TLC100. And, here's the kicker, this thing cost about $15-20K less than stock TLC100! It is a big vehicle...but TLC100 is not a small dog either. Of course, 20 years from now, TLC100 would still be around...PowerWagon would be in the junkyard.:D

Thai: You're living in another world. Bring a Power Wagon and your G500 down to Tucson and you'll change your tune. Open invitation. :)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Thai: You're living in another world. Bring a Power Wagon and your G500 down to Tucson and you'll change your tune. Open invitation. :)

Shotts...are you always this defensive??? Geez. Once again, i did NOT insult the TLC100 at all...just stating facts. I did not boast my G500. I was just disagreeing with your clearly flawed logic and thoughts. Don't be angry, please. Let's be friends.:)

Feel free to bring your TLC100 to TEXAS. Open invitation.:) If you brought up the challenge, then you must be willing to travel too, right?! In fact, i will invite anyone on this board the next time that i am off-roading. Open invitation to the whole forum.:) I would advise to take off your trailer hitch, according to TruckTrend's recommendation.:D (just kidding)

That's the problem with Shotts et. al., you guys think that TLC100 can outwheel anything out there from the showroom floor. Talking about living on another planet (right back at you, Shotts)! You guys do NOT acknowledge other vehicle's features/capabilities...just BLINDLY slamming other SUVS on everything and anything!

I would bet that Shotts will even say that his TLC100 will destroy a Jeep Rubicon off-road too!:D As for me, i truly respect the Jeep Rubicon...it can go places where my heavy butt (the G500, not me personally) cannot go.

It's OK to admire another vehicle for some of it's feature/capability. Don't be so damn blind and bias! That is why i am here...i do admire TLC100 very much and i want to learn more since my brother has one. But, i also admire Dodge PowerWagon, Land Rover LR3...and to a much lesser extent, Touareg and Jeep GC.

Last edited:
Example in this comparison:

As for your claim of Breakover angle superiority of TLC100, the stock PowerWagon has a bit over 25 degrees, more than stock TLC100 (you can look it up, Shotts). Every inch that you lift a TLC100, i can lift the Powerwagon. Remember, the PW already has 35 inch BFG AT KO tires standard! If you add in lockers, front disconnect sway bars, etc., your TLC100 will be an expensive jewel...and costs a lot (and i mean, A LOT) more than stock PowerWagon. And you're still at PowerWagon's equipment level...you have NOT exceed it.

Like i said above, TLC100 costs a lot for other things that it does well. It costs a lot for it's build quality, reliability, and durability. That's the argument...NOT what Shotts argued. In terms of pure off-roading in the short run, there are better vehicles out there.

I love how the entire world is succuming to marketing. Please ship all 6 exact vehicles (bring a stock g500 and rubicon too) to australia or africa for 1 year. Supply all vehicles with BFG ATs at stock tire size and no equipment removals. If it gets ripped off while wheeling, pack it out and throw it away. If there is a flat tire, replace it. Drive the vehciles for 20k miles, on and off road and see which one actually makes it to the finish line. That will be the winner in my book. I will put my money on the LC. They are all good vehicles. But to be great it takes a little more.

This would make a great reality show. Throw in some expeditions and tahoes. Then everyone in the USA could cheer for their vehicles.

uzj100

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Wait wait let me get this straight... you think a stock LX470 can outwheel a stock G500 or a stock PW?

You serious? LMAO Open invitation? If I was u, I would close down this invite ASAP.

FYI, I have wheeled with a stock LX470 a few times so I am not talking out of my *ss. Have you even seen a G500 in action not to mention actually wheeled with one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom