Trekboxx Drawer System for 200 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrekboxX

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey all,
The time has come for the 200 series to be patterned! I know some of you have been waiting a while- my apologies. I have a local donor rig and plan to do the 200 in the next few months. At first glance it looks like the main box will be almost exactly the same size as the 100 and 80 series systems. I'd like to get your feedback on any technical details as I'm not familiar with the 200. If you know of any changes in the rear cargo area over the model years it would save a lot of headache.

The only major change I'm contemplating is making the fridge area slightly larger. When I designed the 100 series system, I looked at all of the fridges that were poplar on the market at the time and made it to fit them. Now it looks like some of the new ones are getting a bit bigger (NL, ARB all-weather, etc.). It would take a little space away from the large drawer. I'd like your thoughts on that as well.

Thanks!
David
Edit 4-30-18: Here is the first one in the flesh!
IMG_0931.JPG

Last edited:
You make some incredibly nice and well thought out stuff, but my only suggestion would be to try to see how you can build a simpler, less expensive setup. The pool of buyers for a nice organization system willing to pay the ultra premium prices is pretty small (yes, even in the 200 world), but I think you’d find a lot of interest in a product that competes close to the ARB drawers price point even if it was very basic. The ARB drawers are ubiquitous because they are reasonably affordable, look good, and work well. There is a market for competitors in that space but at a 3-5x multiple for a nicer product the market shrinks considerably. Just my $0.02.

You make some incredibly nice and well thought out stuff, but my only suggestion would be to try to see how you can build a simpler, less expensive setup. The pool of buyers for a nice organization system willing to pay the ultra premium prices is pretty small (yes, even in the 200 world), but I think you’d find a lot of interest in a product that competes close to the ARB drawers price point even if it was very basic. The ARB drawers are ubiquitous because they are reasonably affordable, look good, and work well. There is a market for competitors in that space but at a 3-5x multiple for a nicer product the market shrinks considerably. Just my $0.02.

The Trekboxx System Bravo for the 100 series looks pretty competitive to the ARB drawers: TLC100SB

If that were available at the same price point for the 200 series it would be successful, IMHO.

HTH

The Trekboxx System Bravo for the 100 series looks pretty competitive to the ARB drawers: TLC100SB

If that were available at the same price point for the 200 series it would be successful, IMHO.

HTH

For whatever reason the website doesn't render on my laptop in any browser I've tried, so I can't see the prices. I'm just going off memory from prior times of checking out the products and getting excited by them until I saw the price. If there is a basic product that's similar in function, fit/finish and price to the ARBs, that's great news. I'd also be curious about the shipping and installation aspect if there isn't a distribution network setup, and if I'm being honest, I prefer to pay a shop to install something like this in a couple of hours than me spend a couple days, a few bloody knuckles and a sore back to install.

A while back I did a back-of-the-envelope analysis of storage options between building my own drawers, ARB drawers + my customizations, and the fully-loaded Trekboxx offering. I'll try to find the spreadsheet, but I recall one of the outcomes being that the Trekboxx system is expensive but arguably a good value for the level of quality and total functionality. It was mainly an academic exercise that I went through after factoring in all the additional cargo area work I've done on top of my ARB drawers to accommodate my needs (tie down systems, electrical panels, additional storage box, fridge slide, exhaustively tracking down squeaks and rattles, replacing drawer stops multiple times, etc.). It all adds up.

To add to that I've had the opportunity of seeing these drawers first-hand (on a DV trip that both David and Rob, the likely 200 donor, were on) and have yet to run into an unhappy customer. I believe David has integrated many improvements to the 100 series drawers over the years and the 200 set is likely to benefit from that as well.

As for the initial request, here are a couple thoughts:
* The systems that max out the drawer space are certainly nice and tidy, but I do like carrying Aluboxes for their utility as tables, benches, and step-stools in addition to storage. If you change the width of the drawers, I'd suggest making sure some standard box sizes (Frontrunner boxes, Aluboxes, etc.) fit well on top of the box.
* Consider potential future expansion to pair the cargo system with a second-row seat replacement for additional storage or as a sleeping platform.
* It'd be nice to still be able to access the bottle jack storage area.

Last edited:

I don't want to compete with ARB. That was the whole point. They have a huge ad budget and huge margin (made overseas), and it's a small market. When I was looking for drawers for myself I decided that I wanted something better. So I made it. I am essentially a one-man show and have no desire to crank out 50 systems a week. I have a product I am proud to work on and spend real time with each customer.

For whatever reason the website doesn't render on my laptop in any browser I've tried, so I can't see the prices. I'm just going off memory from prior times of checking out the products and getting excited by them until I saw the price. If there is a basic product that's similar in function, fit/finish and price to the ARBs, that's great news. I'd also be curious about the shipping and installation aspect if there isn't a distribution network setup, and if I'm being honest, I prefer to pay a shop to install something like this in a couple of hours than me spend a couple days, a few bloody knuckles and a sore back to install.

You can't keep the quality and price them like the ARB's. Not possible. I've turned down many, many distributors because, believe it or not, there aren't enough margins for them. They want 25% and up. I'd be working for free. These systems cost a lot more than you think to make. I'd rather not go down the rabbit hole of cost. It is what it is.

Install is easy. I can do it in an hour, so it will take you maybe 2 the first time. I also install for free if you can make it to my place. I've had folks drive 1/2 way across the country for the install, and then say "That's it?".... But it saves freight shipping and they usually make a Tahoe trip or something out of it.

A while back I did a back-of-the-envelope analysis of storage options between building my own drawers, ARB drawers + my customizations, and the fully-loaded Trekboxx offering. I'll try to find the spreadsheet, but I recall one of the outcomes being that the Trekboxx system is expensive but arguably a good value for the level of quality and total functionality. It was mainly an academic exercise that I went through after factoring in all the additional cargo area work I've done on top of my ARB drawers to accommodate my needs (tie down systems, electrical panels, additional storage box, fridge slide, exhaustively tracking down squeaks and rattles, replacing drawer stops multiple times, etc.). It all adds up.

To add to that I've had the opportunity of seeing these drawers first-hand (on a DV trip that both David and Rob, the likely 200 donor) and have yet to run into an unhappy customer. I believe David has integrated many improvements to the 100 series drawers over the years and the 200 set is likely to benefit from that as well.

As for the initial request, here are a couple thoughts:
* The systems that max out the drawer space are certainly nice and tidy, but I do like carrying Aluboxes for their utility as tables, benches, and step-stools in addition to storage. If you change the width of the drawers, I'd suggest making sure some standard box sizes (Frontrunner boxes, Aluboxes, etc.) fit well on top of the box.
* Consider potential future expansion to pair the cargo system with a second-row seat replacement for additional storage or as a sleeping platform.
* It'd be nice to still be able to access the bottle jack storage area.

Good feedback, thanks. I'll keep in mind accommodating the popular boxes. I don't think it will be a problem, the systems are pretty large.

A sleeping platform/2nd row setup is totally doable (see my sleeper for the JKU), but everything is dependent on demand. Every new product/system has a real cost in labor, CAD, CNC, prototyping, etc., so I won't do it to sell 5 of them.

If the bottle jack is in a similar location to the 100, you will have access.

I just realized who you are! What's up man?!!!

I was going to hold off on talking about my rear drawer, but I'd like to see an American company make the best*
*just what I think
and I think it's really good that you want real feedback, it shows a lot about you, and your business. Very nice.

I really looked at the current things you are doing with the 100 series, and really like them. I mean really like them. But compared to one other company, I think they beat you out. In really every aspect, from space available, function, weigh, cost, etc.

I've got a Drifta being designed, and their design with not using big, heavy drawer slides but teflon runners, so you don't lose 2" of storage space per drawer like, well, every other drawer system. They slide very easy with tons of stuff in them, don't gum up like metal slides, less weight, I mean really, they are just better in every way. Hard to find a bad review from Australian about them.

They can make anything you want, and that lets the individual users find what works best for them.

Like a traditional two drawer. But that is WAY lighter than ARBs, with more storage space, and less cost, plus you get a table.
Toyota-200-Series03-300x225.jpg

To a system that can fit in-between the 3rd row for people that still need that.
Toyota-200-Series11.jpg

To a cool set up that can you can pull the fridge surround off and have a flat top, for those that sometime use a fridge, and sometimes don't.
wagon-2-drawer-table-fridge-package01-300x225.jpg

wagon-2-drawer-table-fridge-package
Seriously everyone, watch this video.

To what I'm having which is this.
Toyota-200-Series14.jpeg

Yet i'm getting it with a kitchen drawer, that lets you access the kitchen like a traditional drawer. But then remove it like a box, then it setups up like whole kitchen table with cooking, water, storage, and everything else you need.
Drifta-Car-Back-Kitchen-02.jpg

Seriously, everyone watch the first few minutes of this video. And I'm having a 20L water can stored behind my fridge, so my drawers can even hold that, be 60% the weight of ARBs, and hold more stuff.

@TrekboxX, I don't mean to be a walking advertisement for Drifta, many other forum members can tell you that I don't play favorites. I talk down a lot of products, and I don't follow the crowd much. I took a good, hard, 1 year long look at your systems. They are awesome. Your slogan is "the most advanced expedition cargo systems on the planet." I would have to heavily disagree. They are very expensive, very heavy, don't offer many options for versatility, and are still just regular drawers.

But I feel that you are someone that started that business of yours because you have a passion for it, and an unmatched skill. You have all the things that other wish they could have, so I see the potential. I wanted to truly express that, what i'm saying is not a bash session, but a honest opinion.

I think you need to expand your options, or at least conceive multi-use features like Drifta can do. I know R&D is expensive, that you need to build quality, but still build fast enough to stay in business. I'm very aware of what it takes to run an off-road oriented business. But as of right now, when I saw what you make, and what Drifta can make, and then the quality being the same, but the features, versatility, and huge weight and cost savings going to Drifta. The choice was clear.

I want to buy American, I want you to be that American company. I don't have the exact "features" that you should make, that's your job, to innovate and push the industry, but that is my though process, take it as you will. I look forward to what you come up with!

p.s.- you blow the pants off crap from goose gear... and pretty much everyone else, now knock Drifta out, and you'll be the man.

Here's a completely different idea for ya...

Given that there are so many existing owners of ARB drawers (and nearly identical units), I note that there is a distinct LACK of offerings for *2nd row replacement* that could be used in conjunction with ARB drawers.

To me, that seems like the kind of item that you might build, since ARB and most other of their drawer type simply do not offer it.

**I would be very interested in a second-row replacement solution that could (perhaps) come in heights that would mesh with existing drawers. While it might be more interesting to market the whole deal (drawers, 2nd row, etc.), I think you might find an interesting niche in 2nd row.

Perhaps even more interesting...an offering that could replace *either side* of the 60/40 seat widths, or both. This would allow those who want to keep one side or the other. I'm no carpenter or welder, so the possibility of such a solution would interest me--even though I have rear drawers already. If it was a left and/or right that can install separately, then someone who wants to keep one seat in would have that option.

No idea if that is something you'd consider, but if it existed, I would be extremely interested.

Last edited:
A 60/40 2nd row replacement would be something I would be interested in. My current 2nd row replacement works fine but it's a little "low-budget". Something a bit fancier would be nice as I was planning on re-working my current 2nd row replacement/storage at some point anyways.

@Taco2Cruiser - Um... Well, the Drifta drawers seem fairly practical (nice ad, btw :) ) But, it's not what I do. To be honest, I don't see anything there that anyone couldn't do in their garage with some plywood, paint, and some boat carpet. You could buy a tablesaw and watch a youtube video and still be ahead- and you can learn a new skill in the process!

Again, I'm not trying to compete with ARB, Ironman, etc. That would be bad business in the states. That's why the only low to mid-range systems you see in the US come from AU, where there is a big enough market to sustain the volume they need.

Here's a completely different idea for ya...

Given that there are so many existing owners of ARB drawers (and nearly identical units), I note that there is a distinct LACK of offerings for *2nd row replacement* that could be used in conjunction with ARB drawers.

To me, that seems like the kind of item that you might build, since ARB and most other of their drawer type simply do not offer it.

**I would be very interested in a second-row replacement solution that could (perhaps) come in heights that would mesh with existing drawers. While it might be more interesting to market the whole deal (drawers, 2nd row, etc.), I think you might find an interesting niche in 2nd row.

Perhaps even more interesting...an offering that could replace *either side* of the 60/40 seat widths, or both. This would allow those who want to keep one side or the other. I'm no carpenter or welder, so the possibility of such a solution would interest me--even though I have rear drawers already. If it was a left and/or right that can install separately, then someone who wants to keep one seat in would have that option.

No idea if that is something you'd consider, but if it existed, I would be extremely interested.

A 60/40 2nd row replacement would be something I would be interested in. My current 2nd row replacement works fine but it's a little "low-budget". Something a bit fancier would be nice as I was planning on re-working my current 2nd row replacement/storage at some point anyways.

I learned long ago it's bad business to design a product that relies on another's product that you have no control of. For now I'll stick with the basic design I have for the 100 series. I'm really looking for small changes, idiosyncrasies of the 200, etc. I'd happily build a 2nd row solution, but again- with demand. I've built things in the past due to numerous requests, and after it's made- crickets. For example, I had a lot of requests for a one-sided system (System Sierra) for the 100 series so you could leave one 3rd row seat in. I spent a few grand and many hours making the design. It's cool- you can get either side and add the other one later- no lost cost. Hinge open work surfaces, etc. Guess how many I sold? One.

One.

@Taco2Cruiser - Um... Well, the Drifta drawers seem fairly practical (nice ad, btw :) ) But, it's not what I do. To be honest, I don't see anything there that anyone couldn't do in their garage with some plywood, paint, and some boat carpet. You could buy a tablesaw and watch a youtube video and still be ahead- and you can learn a new skill in the process!

Again, I'm not trying to compete with ARB, Ironman, etc. That would be bad business in the states. That's why the only low to mid-range systems you see in the US come from AU, where there is a big enough market to sustain the volume they need.

I learned long ago it's bad business to design a product that relies on another's product that you have no control of. For now I'll stick with the basic design I have for the 100 series. I'm really looking for small changes, idiosyncrasies of the 200, etc. I'd happily build a 2nd row solution, but again- with demand. I've built things in the past due to numerous requests, and after it's made- crickets. For example, I had a lot of requests for a one-sided system (System Sierra) for the 100 series so you could leave one 3rd row seat in. I spent a few grand and many hours making the design. It's cool- you can get either side and add the other one later- no lost cost. Hinge open work surfaces, etc. Guess how many I sold? One.

One.
Not meant at all as a Drifta ad, just the only way I could think to show some design versatility. But sounds like you have your design figured out.

Just for my own knowledge, yours are made of wood and off the shelf slides? Or are you making components in-house?

Your comments on more home made drawers made me think your building out of something exotic. I’m really curious, as a drawer out of wood, some slides and Line-X isn’t that unique. Hell, my entire 200 is line-X’ed, doesn’t make it do anything better. Please don’t take these comments as me sharp shooting you, I honestly am curious about your materials. I haven’t pulled the final trigger on Drifta drawers yet, and am in no rush to buy, so if there’s something different with yours, I’d like to know so that I won’t regret it when your 200 system comes out.

For small changes, I’m selling my ARB 50 for a NL 60, if that helps with fridge size clearance.

There is a subwoofer on the right. I would try to not block it too much for some weird reverberations could happen.

Keep some 2nd row reclining-ability. Not much, but just a bit.

I’m interested in a set of drawers to organize my cargo area and have some quasi-secure, out-of-site storage. I don’t camp, so I have no interest in a kitchen setup or a fridge, and $3k is more than I want to spend.

Your kitchen system looks really cool and well thought out, but it isn’t what I’m looking for.

A while back I did consider swapping out my ARB system for a home-built system as I was trying to optimize space as much as possible. That's when I ran the numbers on build vs. ARB vs. Trekboxx simply using Trekboxx as a reference point as they didn't have 200 stuff officially available at the time.

In comparing the systems I don't think the price difference is really that extreme.

The complete Alpha system is $4695. Here's what you'd be looking at from ARB to get something with similar features:

* ARB Drawers and Fit Kit — $1780
* ARB Cargo Barrier, Rack, and Divider — $1298
* Tilting Fridge Slide (so my wife can reach the fridge) — $489
* Total: $3597

Clearly, that's not as much as the Alpha system but there are additional benefits: the system is much quieter and does not rattle, it's more secure (I recall at least one drawer with a secondary lock), heavy duty slides, side wings that are a bit easier to use, and they are better looking (at least to me).

I looked into building something similar as I enjoy woodworking but my material cost was going to be more expensive than the ARB drawers once I factored in slides and the number of drawer I would build. Then, I hadn't even factored in Line-X at that point. A local shop quoted me $250 to coat the 20" x 6" x 40" simple box I use below my fridge... an entire system would have been probably $1500 but maybe that's just typical Bay Area prices.

Anyway, I just felt compelled to opine that a 30% premium over an ARB setup actually seems like a good value for folks who really want to optimize their storage space and because I've seen how awesome these are first hand. We spend thousands on bumpers, lockers, gears, suspension, tents, etc. so it's a just little surprising to see the amount of push back against the pricing?

@Taco2Cruiser I'm a huge fan of Drifta gear (had some of their canvas stuff for an Oztent a while back) and would have gone with those drawers over the ARBs if I lived in Australia. Is freight reasonable?

I just realized who you are! What's up man?!!!

Howdy! Things are good... just looking forward to more desert trips now that summer is over!

Not meant at all as a Drifta ad, just the only way I could think to show some design versatility. But sounds like you have your design figured out.

Just for my own knowledge, yours are made of wood and off the shelf slides? Or are you making components in-house?

Your comments on more home made drawers made me think your building out of something exotic. I’m really curious, as a drawer out of wood, some slides and Line-X isn’t that unique. Hell, my entire 200 is line-X’ed, doesn’t make it do anything better. Please don’t take these comments as me sharp shooting you, I honestly am curious about your materials. I haven’t pulled the final trigger on Drifta drawers yet, and am in no rush to buy, so if there’s something different with yours, I’d like to know so that I won’t regret it when your 200 system comes out.

For small changes, I’m selling my ARB 50 for a NL 60, if that helps with fridge size clearance.

There is a subwoofer on the right. I would try to not block it too much for some weird reverberations could happen.

Keep some 2nd row reclining-ability. Not much, but just a bit.

I appreciate your feedback. I could spend the time to explain what goes into my systems, but I'll just say this- I hope you enjoy your Drifta setup.

A while back I did consider swapping out my ARB system for a home-built system as I was trying to optimize space as much as possible. That's when I ran the numbers on build vs. ARB vs. Trekboxx simply using Trekboxx as a reference point as they didn't have 200 stuff officially available at the time.

In comparing the systems I don't think the price difference is really that extreme.

The complete Alpha system is $4695. Here's what you'd be looking at from ARB to get something with similar features:

Clearly, that's not as much as the Alpha system but there are additional benefits: the system is much quieter and does not rattle, it's more secure (I recall at least one drawer with a secondary lock), heavy duty slides, side wings that are a bit easier to use, and they are better looking (at least to me).

I looked into building something similar as I enjoy woodworking but my material cost was going to be more expensive than the ARB drawers once I factored in slides and the number of drawer I would build. Then, I hadn't even factored in Line-X at that point. A local shop quoted me $250 to coat the 20" x 6" x 40" simple box I use below my fridge... an entire system would have been probably $1500 but maybe that's just typical Bay Area prices.

Anyway, I just felt compelled to opine that a 30% premium over an ARB setup actually seems like a good value for folks who really want to optimize their storage space and because I've seen how awesome these are first hand. We spend thousands on bumpers, lockers, gears, suspension, tents, etc. so it's a just little surprising to see the amount of push back against the pricing?

@Taco2Cruiser I'm a huge fan of Drifta gear (had some of their canvas stuff for an Oztent a while back) and would have gone with those drawers over the ARBs if I lived in Australia. Is freight reasonable?

Howdy! Things are good... just looking forward to more desert trips now that summer is over!

Your math must be off... It's like 5x more expensive!!!

Haha. Yeah, I'm loving the cooler weather. This summer was brutal. Unfortunately, I'll probably be couped up in the shop this winter, but I'd love an invite if you guys are heading out.

@Taco2Cruiser that Drifta setup with the table, single drawer and lower fridge is exactly what I’m looking for thanks for the links. As to the TrekboxX, cool system but the cost is ridiculous.

Good comparative pricing, thanks for posting.

Back to my point, the Bravo system from Trekboxx is $3495. From ARB the equivalent costs would be:

* Total: $3078

In this case the question I would have to answer is, would I pay 14% more than ARB for a made in America system that had taller drawers and other features? For me the answer is yes. Of course, YMMV.

Note: One of the reasons I chose the Frontrunner drawers was they had taller drawers than ARB.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom