TRD Super Charger Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This could get long winded.

My parents liked my Land Cruiser enough that they bought one of their own about 6 years ago. It's a 2000 with a TRD super charger. It had 101k miles and it's now at 160k miles. The truck came with most if not all of the parts taken off to put the super charger on so someone( I'd guess the owner before the guy my dad bought it from.) installed or had the super charger installed. It must not have come from the dealer with the charger.

A couple years ago they started having trouble with the truck not starting everytime. Very intermittently. It always starts, it just sometimes takes a few tries. It may start then die but they can always get it to go, and once it's actually going it won't die while driving or idling or anything. Problem is only on start up. The problem has been getting worse to where every 3rd or 4th time they go to start it it takes several tries.

They've had it to their mechanic 3 or 4 times and he did a timing belt job, replaced the ignition switch, cam sensors, and crankshaft sensors. None of it has helped the problem. My dad has asked me to ask on my forum what could be the cause?

He told me the PO had a similar issue and he went through and reconnected or recrimped all the electrical connections having to do with the super charger. My dad is thinking he may need to do this again and this will fix the problem. He is wondering if there is an electrical schematic of the wiring for a TRD super charger.

I have owned my 100 for nearly 10 years and 110k miles and its now got 223k miles. I've done a timing belt change, replaced the radiator, alternater, belts, hoses, fan clutch, and all tensioner and idler pulleys for the drive belt. All of it was preventative maintenance. The only problem I've had with mine was the ECI fuse relay issue in the fuse box. I'm pretty familiar with that problem and the various ways to check it and fix it. His problem doesn't have the symptoms consistent with that known issue.

Any help from TRD experts would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much other history about this truck or the charger but I could get some pictures of it if that would be helpful.

Thanks

Edit: here is a picture of the engine bay.

20231105_103441.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom