Transmission Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok think I sorted the starter issue. Now onwards!

I am planning to do a transmission flush and found instruction on here:

"You dont. You can brake the line closer to the radiator.
Thats how I did mine. I got a two liter coke bottle, pored in two quarts of fluid, marked a line on the bottle. Then I drained the pan, refilled it, started the engine.
With a hose in the bottle, I'd watch the old fluid fill the bottle to the line, stop the engine, dump the dirty, add two quarts to the trans and start all over, when I got to 16 quarts, I hooked up the cooler line, than started the engine and topped off the trans.
I used 18 quarts as to make sure I got a good flush. I believe the trans holds 16qt."

I'd much prefer to not drop the front axle for access, but mine also has the transmission cooler. My question being - Does the cooler alter where to disconnect from? Can someone offer insight on best place to disconnect from closer to the radiator/cooler to not have to drop the front axle?

Working on a 1988 FJ62 with automatic trans

Thanks gents and thank you

No need to remove an axle. You can disconnect the inlet or outlet transmission line at the radiator or anywhere convenient you can get to. The procedure above is valid and sound, IMO. With anything FJ62, be careful not to strip or distort any fasteners, as it's pretty non-standard stuff.

Now might also be a good time to install a transmission cooler, per the many threads on that topic.

ok thanks... yeah she does already have a transmission cooler installed - PO I guess... that was one of the questions. Is there any necessary change to the above procedure with a cooler installed.

Thanks for the answer

No, just yank a line off the cooler and drop it in a bucket (or attach a line to the cooler stub, if you remove the wrong line). You'll find out when you start the engine, so have a helper who can see you uttering 'turn it off, turn it off, there's ATF shooting out all over the driveway'

;)

hahaha... ok so change of plans with the flush. Pulled the drain plug and the fluid looked almost new. I could tell the PO's have taken good care of the truck as none of the differential bolts were difficult to get off and they were torqued as well.

So I decided a flush probably wasn't necessary so just drained and then dropped the pan and screen. Cleaned the screen, installed new screen gasket and new cork gasket for the pan after cleaner everything really good including the two magnets.

According the service manual for a pan drop and screen refil is 6.3 quarts. I put 6.3 in and checked the level... came up about 1/4" over the hot indicators. Started it and did the whole procedure according to the FSM and checked and zero idiciation of level on the dip stick.

No leaks under... I know you are supposed to check it when the fluid is hot and operating temp, but want a sanity check before driving it for 30 minutes if I've screwed up with amounts and screw up the transmission.

So is this normal?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom