Transfer Output Seal On Lifted 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
Has anyone who put a lift under their 80 encountered the rear seal on the transfer case blowing out frequently? I (and Hltoppr) threw a lift (OME Heavy) under my 80 and on the 250 mile test drive home it blew the seal. No problem, new lift, new angle on the rear driveshaft and an old seal usually will cause a failure but I have a new one in now and after about 600 miles it is leaking again. I have noticed some vibrations at highway speeds since the lift but nothing that seemes to cause concern.

Was there a groove on the shaft? I replaced the seal twice on the pinion shaft seal. I now have a new compainion flange one the way from Toyota.
My rear output seal was leaking too but I had to replace the t-case as the VC was bad. I looked at the shaft and I could see a mark but can't feel one it had 214k mi on it. Try moving the seal so its not on the groove if it is possible.
kurt

BMT - that should not be from the lift. The rear shaft on the 80 is pretty much not really impacted by the lift (rise/run is pretty low). I'd investigate further - sorry dude, but this ain't my ball of gum to chew. Over my head. :dunno:

I noticed late last fall that both my rear and front are leaking. The rear is by far the worst. Waiting for the temp to rise before changing them out. If you figure out whats going on please keep us up to date.

Rick

When did that happen? I've never heard of the problem after installing a lift, so it might just be bad luck. ??? If so, I suppose we could replace the seal some weekend.

Cruiserdan, on the 94, can the seal be replaced by pulling the rear driveshaft flange, or do we have to drop the case?

-H-

-H-

Unfortunately you will have to remove the rear extension housing to replace the seal. The book does not describe it as an on-vehicle repair. You may be able to remove the housing with the case in the vehicle. In any event I wouldn't recommend attempting it without the manual handy.........

Same goes for the front output seal, off comes the extension housing.....ETC.

The part number for the rear seal is 90311-58008, the front one is a 90311-50014.......

Regards.....Dan :beer:

-H-

&nbsp:Do you have the book?......PM me for further details if not.......Dan

That would be the 94 FSM........

I can assist with excerpts for that job to expedite....Dan

PM me I required...... :beer:

Yea the FSM is something I am going to purchase in the near future...maybe nearer than I anticipated. :-/

It does not say in the Toyota manual how to remove the t-case from trany. I called several dealers and they didn't know if you could remove the t-case from trany on vehicle or not. You can pull the rear housing with it on the vehicle to change the seal. Just clean the top of t-case very good as dirt will fall into t-case as you open it. You can drop the t-case without droping the trany.
kurt

The dealer stepped up to the plate on a Saturday and repaced it. We will see. 300 mile test drive and no leaks...yet. (If I don't say that karma will get me :eek: ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom