transfer case output shaft leak: need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1999 land cruiser 223k miles

decent size leak out of the rear output shaft and a very minor leak on the front out put shaft

Found a puddle under the truck about a month and a half ago, I would have noticed it earlier but there was mud on the skid plate soaking up the oil. I topped it off with new oil, it took about 1/2 quart of oil. Since then I been adding a little bit every now and then for the last 1000 miles and it does not seem to be leaking very much, about 1/5 to 1/4 a quart since.

I would also like to note that I got the truck stuck in a mud hole where the front left right wheel was almost completely under water for about 10 mins. The reason why I mention this is due to the breather hoses on the transfer case though. I haven't checked them and I am not sure where they are or how to check them for blockages.

Now onto the rear output shaft seal, has anyone done one of these? I searched all over and I could not find ANY info on 100 series land cruiser output shaft seal changes on the transfer case. If anyone has I would really like advice because a toyota stealership quoted me $700 and I would rather do it my self if I can but the only info I can find is for 4runners. Replacing Transfer Case Output Shaft Oil Seals, a How-To for DIY'ers - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

ANY advice or comments is helpful. Thanks

There was a TSB repair for output seal on GX470. The repair time was high, but there was a shortcut way to do it. Might try searching GX / 4Runner section.

A quick search here on Mud had several threads on the T-case bearings and seals and breathers. Here's a good one on seal replacement. By all means check the breather if you drowned the truck in goo.

Transfer Case oil seal

most of the guides I am finding involve just needing to remove the driveshaft and whatnot to gain access to the output shaft seal and I had a toyota mastertech tell me how to do it a while ago and I don't remember him telling me that I needed to do anything other than take of the driveshaft.

The link in the thread says otherwise though which has me confused.

Tonight I am going to check the breathers for blockages, I'll report back if there is further issue

You'll need to pull the tail shaft/"tail cone" off the t-case. The seal gets removed/installed after you remove the shaft. You'll need puller and snap ring tools too...

Burying the truck in mud is the quickest way to a leaking t-case seal (been there...done that). The front shaft seal is a much bigger PITA to swap so be glad its the rear ;)

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 6.24.18 PM.png

Last edited:
I ended up taking it to a shop a couple of weeks ago and had the shafts done. $710 parts and labor for the front and rear. Apparently O'reillys gave me the wrong seals. A good deal better than the local stealership who quoted me $730 for the rear alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom