transfer case Output shaft bearing removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys i am in the middle of rebuilding my x-fer and i can't get the stupid needle roller bearing out of the end of the output shaft. If i had a pilot bearing puller then i could but i don't have one..and neither did either parts store i stopped at. SO how the heck do i get this thing out. I am working on it realtime so help is greatly apprieciated.

Cruzer

Had the same problem. Solution was ugly and involved a screwdriver and a hammer. But, it worked.

IDave
thanks for the idea...i dremeled the sucker out...doesn't matter anyway because the end of the output shaft is cracked right at the base of the splines on that end...so now i have a nice rebuild kit and clean parts and bad output shaft. I am contemplating trying my 4spd x-fer output shaft?? I know the gears are diffrent but is the output shafts diffrent? i also know that if you put the 3spd gears in the 4spd housing you need to shim the gears....hmm well only one way to find out...pull the 4spd apart and figure it out. It really sucks though. who knows maybe i will just sell the hole dam truck and crap and be done with it...nothing but headaches so far

Cruzer

Ah, sleep on it a while. I've decided half of the adventure is in the problem-solving. Sometimes you figure out another way, and sometimes you have to just give in and buy the new part. We didn't buy 30 year old rigs because we aren't up to a challenge, right?

The 4sp shaft front splines are different, but you could just juse the 4sp front output shaft and shift collar. I know that the 3sp and 4sp hi/lo gear bushings are different, but I am not sure whether the journal diameters on the shafts are different.

Yeah i slept on it. so now i am going to go home and pull the tranny/transfer case out tonight and rip into the 4sp transfer case and see if i can make myself a low speed transfer case out of all my parts. I may even need a new transmission(which i have kind of known it whines like a son of a bitch in 4th gear cruisering on the highway) but a local guy has an H42 that i maybe able to get. I just want this thing to work so i can wheel it SOOOOOON

Stew

If your "tranny" whines in 4th gear, chances are that it is the transfer case making noise and not the tranny.

So i ripped my 4spd transfer case out (Feb build 75) which according to SOR has the same output shaft as a 3spd transfer case and guess what!!! Front and rear output shafts look BRAND SPANKING NEW!!! The other reason i am thinking this is the dam transfercase was welded because it cracked at the rear corner of the top cover down around the boss in that area. All the bearings look good and are not worn very much....so still no 4th gear noise culprit in the mix. But it looks like my 4spd output shaft front and rear are going into my 3spd case...only problem i have now is that both the brake drum and the front driveshaft flange are warn out BAD! no wonder the thing was leaking oil every were....so not it's time to look for output flanges...any body? 4spd course spline D-shaft flange and drum for a 4spd driveshafts?

Stew

I know I'm too late to help ya on the bearing removal, but when I was rebuilding the split case in my FJ62 last summer, I couldn't get that bearing out either. I took the shaft to a local tranny shop and asked nicely, they popped it out for me in a minute, no charge.

:beer:

KLF

Thanks for the input. Will have to try that next time...for now the dremel worked good and should work again. So are you going to join us at the april meeting of YT?

Stew

So i ripped my 4spd transfer case out (Feb build 75) which according to SOR has the same output shaft as a 3spd transfer case and guess what!!! Front and rear output shafts look BRAND SPANKING NEW!!! The other reason i am thinking this is the dam transfercase was welded because it cracked at the rear corner of the top cover down around the boss in that area. All the bearings look good and are not worn very much....so still no 4th gear noise culprit in the mix. But it looks like my 4spd output shaft front and rear are going into my 3spd case...
Stew

I'm a little late on this one, but why not just throw the 3spd gears into the 4spd case? I just put 3spd gears into my 4spd case, retaining my 4spd output shaft, front output extension, the ext housing, the shifter and the speedo. All the bearings/seals for the 3spd case and the 4spod case are the same, except the small oil seal for the tcase hi/lo shifter on the top. I also needed to shim the idler cluster since it was narrower than the 4spd idler cluster - the shim set part number is #36263-60010. You also need the spacer between the roller bearings in the idler cluster from the 3spd. There are also thinner shims as well - 36262-60010, and 36261-60010. I promised Woody a write up. Hope to get it to him in the next week or so!!

Not sure this helps, but thought I'd throw it out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom