Transfer case NOT engaging? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.elirubelphotography.com
Ok so we get all ready to take the cruiser for is maiden voyage...and the darn transfer case wont engage??/:confused:

We dont have the 4wd stick hooked up yet...so Im doing it all by hand.... there is the three way selector on top of the t case... and the big rod that slides in and out on the bottom..so we tried nearly all possibilites....when its in park the Tcase works and prevents the car from moving, but when the motor is on, we dont get any action:confused:

I put the three way selector in the middle position (I assume that would be neurtral...with the tranny in neutral, and the rod pushed in just up to the ring (there is a ring on the lower rod...and once you push it in so the ring is just barely hidden in the Tcase, it stops) and then tried to put the tranny in gear...we got this grinding sound...and then wen we put it back into neutral, I tried to move the 3 way selector to the right or left of the middle position and got the same grinding sound????/

Im am very confused.

Any ideas?

With the engine off and the tranny in N, shift the top cover lever CCW for Hi range or CW for lo. Start the engine and drive.

If there is any grinding noise trying to shift the tranny, your clutch may need adjusting. Other than that, try describing it more clearly as I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Sometimes with an atomatic it is difficult to shift between2/4 wheel drive and high/low range. compound that by not having the transfercase lever.
with the engene off, pull the Rod out out the transfercase this is 4 wheel drive
(you might have to turn the drive shaft a little to help it engage) then turn the lever on top of the case to the inside of the cruiser( or like pin head said counter clock wise for high range or clock wise for low range)
Remember when your engeine is running the torque converter is applying pressure to the trans All the time, before changing allways try to shift into neutral and or reverse.
hope this helps

thanks

so does anyone have the time to peek under their cruiser and tell me that when its pushed in, (2wd) how far past that ring does the rod go into the tcase?

What ring are you talking about?

The groove on the front drive acctuator rod?

That groove is for a boot, and should not enter that housing....

thanks

so does anyone have the time to peek under their cruiser and tell me that when its pushed in, (2wd) how far past that ring does the rod go into the tcase?

The rod is your 2wd - 4wd. It has nothing to do with your case not engaging and you having a grinding sound while trying to get it in low/high.

You can see the boot here. The front drive is engaged here (4x4) and the boot is extended. Like Poser said, the ring where the front of the rubber boot sits doesn't go into the case.

dsc00203.jpg

You havent said what type transfercase you have... is it a one piece or a split case?the "rod" should not go into the transfer case beyond the groove. The "rod" should pull out aprox. one inch. It will be very difficult to just pull it out by hand depending the condition of your case.If you are missing the rubber boot that covers that rod, be prepaired to pull VERY hard.( remember to turn the drive shaft while you are pulling on the "rod".

ok...so it doesnt ever go in PAST the groove...just up too the groove.....I believe my whole problem is that I never spun the drive shaft while moving that lower 2wd-4wd actuator. so maybe it just needed a bit of movement to actually engage.....it isnt too teribly hard to pull out....I can do it using full force from one hand....my boot isnt there anymore...so i can see it all the way up to where it enters... ill go test out the whole moving the drive shaft thing and pushing on it...and see if that does anything

This should not have anything to do with why the truck would move or not while the transmission is in gear, unless the rear drive shaft is not attached....

the hi/lo shifter ontop of t-case will take quite a bit of force to shift with no linkage. try a hammer whack.

It would'nt move if the transfercase was in neutral...
and with a automatic trans it'll grind every time you try to shift from high to low or vise a versa

Your transfer case lever has three positions high range /neutral/ low range.... if the transfer case is in neutral, no matter what gear your in (transmission) the truck will NOT move. When the engine is running the auto tranny's tourque converter is putting pressure on the input shaft of the transmission, when the transfer case is in neutral the high range gear and the low range gear are not being driven... however the the input shaft is therfore when you try shifting to either high or low range it will grind. the "trick" is before shifting the transfer case, you must first put the auto trans in neutral or park.

You might try putting a crescent wrench on the Hi/Lo/Neutral shift lever. Get a bit more leverage. Sometimes, depending on the tension of the spring and ball on the shift rod, it can be a bugger to move fore or aft. I think if you try to move the lever counterclockwise, you will put the t-case into hi range....maybe move it prior to the engine being on? Maybe have a buddy gently move the rig forward or backward a tiny bit while you try to move the lever..

Best of luck!

Cheers!

thanks

the hi low selector broke free later the next day...it just took a bit of wiggling...but no more than single hand force...tonight we are gonna go into the garage and work out the rest of the project for a hopefull test drive, so ill let ya know if the tcase engages into 2wd spliinnning the drive shaft.

Well last night we played with it a bit... put some more fluid in it :doh:

and left it for the night without testing...

this morning I turned it on and drove it out of the garage....everything was working fine...but then when I let off the gas and stopped....and then gave it gas again...it had dissengaged....and not a loud dissengageing sound either....I didnt even hear it pop out....:confused: So I turned the engine off, rocked the shifter a bit, put it back into 2wd and rocked the vehicle and sure enough it clicked in....so I fired it back up and drove about 50ft...then when I slowed down to about 3mph letting off the throttle and then getting back on it...it did the same thing again, only this time I couldnt get it back in. So we pushed it home.....

So now its engaging but not staying in...any experiences with this/ideas..

make sure your shifter doesn't have any pressure on it forcing it back out of gear. Also make sure it's engaging all the way, i.e. shifter hitting the tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom