Transfer case swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tranfercase swap question. I am rebuilding my FJ40 75 (12/74) 4 speed, but I have some issues with the 4 speed transfer case. I have a 3 speed transfer case that is rebuilt and ready to go I got in trade. The input bearing is 29 tooth with 10 spline in the transfer and mine has a 29 tooth 16 spline on my old set. If they are both 29 spline can I just swap the gear and get the correct bearing a seal or will I need the kits I see sold for the swap?

Tranfercase swap question. I am rebuilding my FJ40 75 (12/74) 4 speed, but I have some issues with the 4 speed transfer case. I have a 3 speed transfer case that is rebuilt and ready to go I got in trade. The input bearing is 29 tooth with 10 spline in the transfer and mine has a 29 tooth 16 spline on my old set. If they are both 29 spline can I just swap the gear and get the correct bearing a seal or will I need the kits I see sold for the swap?
I haven't got to that point yet, but keen to learn more... any chance of some photos to encourage the discussion?

Fyi, thats a 74 not a 75.
It titled as a 75, the vin dates is manufacture date. Like with, I have the parts from the 75 and up. Just like every other manufacturer they built the next year models ahead of time. That why you will be about to buy the 2024 models starting in October of this year. I included the manufacture date because there was alot of chabges that took place at the end of 74 and into the 75 model year, like the 4 speed mated to a 3 speed transfer with the 16 spline.

Just to be clear here, I had a 1971 FJ40 and swapped out the bell housing to a 4speed model, added the 4 speed transmission and put the original 3 speed transfer case back on.

Last edited:
Just to be clear hear, I had a 1971 FJ40 and swapped out the bell housing to a 4speed model, added the 4 speed transmission and put the original 3 speed transfer case back on.
But the 3 speed output shaft is 10nspline and the 4 speed is 16 spline?

Going on thirty years since I put my four speed in my 68. Can't remember but think I may have use a special bearing at the back. I know the inside diameter of the bearing has to be different for the three and four speed. I show the housing has a part number change between the three and four speed. The input and output housings are part numbers. I know the front nose cone changed from 3/69-7/80 but Toyota only shows a single part number now. That means thy are interchangeable.

That is correct. But there are parts to allow the T-case from a 3-speed to accept the output shaft from the 4-speed transmission. I don't recall the full list, but there was at least an input gear for the t-case.

When I did my swap from the 3-speed to the 4-speed transmission, I kept my 3-speed T-case. I got all the parts to enable the swap from Mark at Marks Off Road and did the install myself.

It titled as a 75, the vin dates is manufacture date. Like with, I have the parts from the 75 and up. Just like every other manufacturer they built the next year models ahead of time. That why you will be about to buy the 2024 models starting in October of this year. I included the manufacture date because there was alot of chabges that took place at the end of 74 and into the 75 model year, like the 4 speed mated to a 3 speed transfer with the 16 spline.
The 75 model was a big change year, so they ran the 74s through dec, starting the 75s in jan of 75....atypical of how the model years normally worked.

The tcase that goes behind the 4spd has different gearing ratios. In early production when the 4spd was introduced they had a transition input gear that allowed the lower geared 3spd tcase to be used behind the 4spd trans. I do not believe they are the same, you say they both 29 tooth ? but are they the same dimensions ? again I do not believe they are the same gear but with different spline. A call to Georg at Valley Hybrids will save you time.

You can find the parts here:

or here:

Hey guys Kurt from crusier outfitters awnser my question on face book. The 29 tooth is the 16 spline will work for the 3 speed case and he also send me the part # for the bearing and seal I will need. Good guy!!

So you happened to have one of the transition gears as it seems you had the factory combo of 4spdtrans/3spd(lower gear)tcase.

So you happened to have one of the transition gears as it seems you had the factory combo of 4spdtrans/3spd(lower gear)tcase.
Yeah the I guess the 1st run of 4 speeds had the transition gear.

Yup, I have only heard of it , never seen a factory done combo like that, pretty cool IMO as it is rare even though the parts to do it are available it is cool to have a factory mated set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom