Transfer case drainplug musings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Did you know Toyota did not install magnets on the transfer case drain and fill plugs? Rather, they stuck a magnet deep inside the case close to the oil pump pick up strainer. You can't clean it off w/o breaking down the case. I'm speculating that while this is intially a good spot as all oil will pass it, eventually well down the line that big ol' blob of metal goo will grow and grow until eventually it clogs the screen with some sludge and other junk. Then the upper bearings and other goodies in the case will die a slow death. I threw a couple magnetic drain plugs in mine to help grab the bits and allow it to be cleaned off during oil changes. A low profile magnet fits the drain plug, and a larger protruding magnet fits the fill plug... part numbers if you want them.

Did you know Toyota did not install magnets on the transfer case drain and fill plugs? Rather, they stuck a magnet deep inside the case close to the oil pump pick up strainer. You can't clean it off w/o breaking down the case. I'm speculating that while this is intially a good spot as all oil will pass it, eventually well down the line that big ol' blob of metal goo will grow and grow until eventually it clogs the screen with some sludge and other junk. Then the upper bearings and other goodies in the case will die a slow death. I threw a couple magnetic drain plugs in mine to help grab the bits and allow it to be cleaned off during oil changes. A low profile magnet fits the drain plug, and a larger protruding magnet fits the fill plug... part numbers if you want them.

I thought they were magnet, good catch!

I would love the part numbers for those magnetic plugs!

Yes...please post part numbers. This could be a serious long term issue. I plan on giving my cruiser to my first born, and he's only 3 right now.

I need to look at a couple more numbers at my dealer tomorrow.... might have some better ones!

Question... does anyone recall what style magnetic drainplug is used in the rear diff? Is the magnet low profile or extended?

I need to look at a couple more numbers at my dealer tomorrow.... might have some better ones!

Question... does anyone recall what style magnetic drainplug is used in the rear diff? Is the magnet low profile or extended?

It's flush with the case lip. So I assume it is low profile.

The magnet inside is flush?

Like this...

Fill%20Plugs.jpg

Not this...

Last edited:
A short magnet is required for the drain, and a long magnet for the fill. The long magnets were originally for differential drain plugs. The drain plug on my Tundra rear differential was a short magnet, so I used it for the drain plug on the transfer case, and put a long magnet plug in the diff. If any of that is not clear, please say so....

10mm allen plug short magnet (pic above)
90341-18021

10mm allen plug long magnet (pic above)
90341-18035

24mm bolt short magnet
90341-18057

24mm bolt long magnet
90341-18040

The magnet inside is flush?

Like this...

Fill%20Plugs.jpg

Not this...

28290.jpg

Sorry I meant the outside of the plug against the outside of the case.

I have not seen it pulled, I didn't do the rear locker install.

No biggy, thanks for looking.

The listed plugs should add much life to the components they are installed in.... after all, Toyota once installed them for a reason.

Many folks like to use the 10mm allen head plugs for drains on the diff, they are more resistant to catching on rocks and such.

Any speculation as to why the change? Cost cutting would seem ridiculous reasoning given the size but you never know.

I'm not a differential guy at all, but where are these plugs and what do they do?

Should we really change them? How difficult are they to change? If they are drain plugs, don't you have to drain the diffs first? Seems like a lot of work...

What's wrong with where the magnets are now?

I'm not a differential guy at all, but where are these plugs and what do they do?

Should we really change them? How difficult are they to change? If they are drain plugs, don't you have to drain the diffs first? Seems like a lot of work...

What's wrong with where the magnets are now?

Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:

Read my first post again, it explains what I am getting at (?), especially the t-case.

Below is a picture of a Toyota 4-Runner rear axle showing the fill and drain plugs. The 200 axle looks very similar. I'll get a picture of the t-case and front differential plugs. The magnets on the plugs attract the small wear particles that normally occur over time. In the unlikely event something chips or chunks off in there, the magnet will hopefully catch it before it can do further damage. So look at the above pictures again.... which magnet do you think is going to do a better job? Remember, these are Toyota factory parts, toyota installed them for a reason.

rear_diff.jpg

Toyota may have installed the long plug on the 200 rear differential drain, I do not know? The Tundra came with a small magnet.

As for installation, they are easy. If you are quick and the fluid is cold you can pop one into a drain w/o losing much fluid. The fill plug is an easy place to install one, and you can inpsect it/clean it off w/o draining things. Note that not all fill or drain plugs can accept the long plug, the drain on the t-case is a good example, the long plug would hit the chain before seating.

IMO it's a cheap effective upgrade

Read my first post again, it explains what I am getting at (?), especially the t-case.

Below is a picture of a Toyota 4-Runner rear axle showing the fill and drain plugs. The 200 axle looks very similar. I'll get a picture of the t-case and front differential plugs. The magnets on the plugs attract the small wear particles that normally occur over time. In the unlikely event something chips or chunks off in there, the magnet will hopefully catch it before it can do further damage. So look at the above pictures again.... which magnet do you think is going to do a better job? Remember, these are Toyota factory parts, toyota installed them for a reason.

rear_diff.jpg

Toyota may have installed the long plug on the 200 rear differential drain, I do not know? The Tundra came with a small magnet.

As for installation, they are easy. If you are quick and the fluid is cold you can pop one into a drain w/o losing much fluid. The fill plug is an easy place to install one, and you can inpsect it/clean it off w/o draining things. Note that not all fill or drain plugs can accept the long plug, the drain on the t-case is a good example, the long plug would hit the chain before seating.

IMO it's a cheap effective upgrade

I wonder if the drain plug magnet length is different in the 200LC? I would hope they would have used only the best parts available. These trucks are not cheap.:rolleyes:

Next time I have it on a lift and the shop, I will check out and take pic of the plugs. Definitely an upgrade I want to do.

I installed this brandnew super clean plug in the drain hole of the 200 series case I have, 12k miles on the case. Most of the oil was already drained by the salvage yard before shipment to me, though there were a couple ounces remaining in the bottom. I tilted the case up at a slight angle on the floor so that remaining oil would flow over to and cover this plug. The case was left like this for about 24 hours... the results.

dra.jpg

The magentic plug in my Tundra transfer case looked similar to this (a bit less, but it was only in there for a minute) when I pulled it back out to examine before refilling.

The questions..... does this stuff sit harmlessly at the the bottom of the case? Why hasn't the internal magnet grabbed it yet? Will the larger bits get trapped by the screen on the oil pump pick up strainer... anything else? I say better to not have this stuff in there at all, more magnets = more chances of catching it.

When I get the front locker, I plan to regear both axles. At that time I will add these magnets.

Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom