Sway Bar Tuning and Musings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been knee deep doing a body lift so here's some quick notes.

- Washers were a quick and dirty way to test a concept. They are large enough cover the witness marks of contact so that's what I went with. It's wet my appetite to chase more. @PerryParts , definitely interested and I'll reach out.
- Adding compliance in this manner is distinct from extending links or repositioning links. Though it could be integrated and compounded with those strategies. The current LC200 sway bar relocation for clearance can change the motion ratio of the sway bar end link, which itself changes the effective spring rate of KDSS. Unless relocating the way to the outside of the LCA, which potentially restores some of the motion ratio?
- Great post @daneo ! Always great to have objective references and see what's going on with other platforms to inform what could be done with the LC.
- I don't believe this is so much plumbing bandwidth, as it is an architectural limitation of the KDSS system. Regardless, loosing up the system (if desired) could have performance benefits if high speed running is a priority and I'm excited where this could go.

Last edited:
Now that I have had more time and varied use with the mildly relaxed front sway bar bracket, I'm pretty happy with the results
- Incrementally more flexy front axle. Useful more articulation.
- It just completely eats up rally type running. It always has but it's just so slinky and fun to be mobbing at 60+ MPH.
- More front axle bite on twisty and tight mountain roads, reducing understeer more than I expected.
- Lean and sway on-road is still nicely controlled and I don't feel like I lost any roll stiffness. I did also body-lift somewhat the same time, and I was expecting more roll, but happy to say not much if any additionally roll.

Caveat and still feeling this out
- I did tow coming down the mountains from Julian in raining 30 degree weather. This is a road I'm very familiar with having towed probably 20 times over this, but rarely if ever in rain and cold like this. (It's San Diego after-all) There were a couple moments where it felt like the front axle had less bite and steering went a bit vague, but perhaps the reality is that with such cold, wet, and rain, and towing 8k, the roads were just slick. Trying to understand in my mind if this mod could have lended to that, but in solo driving, there is more front bite?

... There were a couple moments where it felt like the front axle had less bite and steering went a bit vague, but perhaps the reality is that with such cold, wet, and rain, and towing 8k, the roads were just slick. Trying to understand in my mind if this mod could have lended to that, but in solo driving, there is more front bite?

I'm far less learned than you in such matters, but is it possible that the trailer tongue weight was just enough to unload the front end slightly?

I'm far less learned than you in such matters, but is it possible that the trailer tongue weight was just enough to unload the front end slightly?

Yes, very possible. I was somewhat trail braking and turning on a downhill section (not the best thing to do when towing), so it could have been my fault. I have heard recommendations to reduce anti-sway friction on weight distribution hitches in low traction environments, but my Equalizer isn't adjustable on the fly like that. Just want to make sure I'm thinking about this right and that my sway bar mod didn't contribute to this and I need to drive within the limitations of conditions.

Yes, very possible. I was somewhat trail braking and turning on a downhill section (not the best thing to do when towing), so it could have been my fault. I have heard recommendations to reduce anti-sway friction on weight distribution hitches in low traction environments, but my Equalizer isn't adjustable on the fly like that. Just want to make sure I'm thinking about this right and that my sway bar mod didn't contribute to this and I need to drive within the limitations of conditions.

“So there I was, trail braking my SUV While towing”
-Legend

#racecarthings

Now that I have had more time and varied use with the mildly relaxed front sway bar bracket, I'm pretty happy with the results
- Incrementally more flexy front axle. Useful more articulation.
- It just completely eats up rally type running. It always has but it's just so slinky and fun to be mobbing at 60+ MPH.
- More front axle bite on twisty and tight mountain roads, reducing understeer more than I expected.
- Lean and sway on-road is still nicely controlled and I don't feel like I lost any roll stiffness. I did also body-lift somewhat the same time, and I was expecting more roll, but happy to say not much if any additionally roll.

Caveat and still feeling this out
- I did tow coming down the mountains from Julian in raining 30 degree weather. This is a road I'm very familiar with having towed probably 20 times over this, but rarely if ever in rain and cold like this. (It's San Diego after-all) There were a couple moments where it felt like the front axle had less bite and steering went a bit vague, but perhaps the reality is that with such cold, wet, and rain, and towing 8k, the roads were just slick. Trying to understand in my mind if this mod could have lended to that, but in solo driving, there is more front bite?

With how far you are from stock, and how long it’s been since you were stock, I have to wonder what your on-road impressions of the compromises would be if compared directly to a stock LX.

With how far you are from stock, and how long it’s been since you were stock, I have to wonder what your on-road impressions of the compromises would be if compared directly to a stock LX.

That's a good question. It has been awhile. I'd like to think it drives pretty close to stock, except the CG is higher. In the grand scheme of things, the mods that affect daily drivability is a sensor lift (1.75" F / 1.25") and 35s. My wife drives it every now and then and the only difference to her is that it's taller.

In trying to maintain cornering grip, I did choose to go with wider 12.5" tires. Dial in alignment with some negative camber. And this mod. She still corners well enough to be fun in the mountains.

The sway bar tuning should still be relevant, but I do remember the stock setup cornering harder (for such a big bodied on frame truck) with it's lower profile tires and better CG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom