tranny swap crossmember relocation help! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys im swapping my g series tranny in my 83 yota to a w56. how or what do i need to do to relocate my crossmember for the added length of the newer tranny? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

It's my understanding that they are the same length, no conversion needed.

Downey has an inexpensive relocator plate...I've only linked it a 1,000 times so sorry, I'm just too lazy to do it now...

there is about a 4- 5 inch difference in length between the two

You better hope it's 4"...

motormounts3.jpg

"Several Pickup and 4 Runner engine conversions will not allow the transfer-case to remain in the stock location. Depending upon your choice of engine, transmission, or length of adapter, your transfer-case could move anywhere between 2 to 4 inches forward or rearward. This mount gets the job done without cutting, welding, or repositioning the crossmember.

12379-R Rear Motor Mount $49.37"

Downey Off-Road Motor Mounts

I would just move the mounts.
angle iron with a nut welded on the top side, use grade 8 bolts as the head tends to not deform as much on the rocks.
I use the bud built transfer case mounts and love them.

I have a used one for a single case set up for sale also.
depending on where you live, they are heavy!!

I think he's talking about a pre-84 (non removable BH) to a 84 and up.

couldnt be a Gseries in there, cause they are the same as the W's

has to be a L series thats in there.

i cut out the center of my cross member and lenghened it to where it needed to be.
having the cab off made it easy

course bud built is the best option. just gotta decide two transfers or one?

gonna have to jack around with the bolt pattern on the new trans as well as drive shaft lengths

yea its a pre 84 tranny non removable bellhousing i like the idea of the bracket that downey offers but wouln it put to much weight behind the crossmember and cause the rear of the tranny to droop i run a CNC waterjet at a machine shop it would be easy to duplicate

yea its a pre 84 tranny non removable bellhousing i like the idea of the bracket that downey offers but wouln it put to much weight behind the crossmember and cause the rear of the tranny to droop i run a CNC waterjet at a machine shop it would be easy to duplicate
my badd i never worked on a pre 84 but what is this about a removable bellhousing. this confuses me i have not seen a removable bellhousing on any of the toys i have worked on 84-95. am i missing somthing here.

from 79 to 83 toyota made a l series tranny in which the bellhousing and tranny housing were one piece you could not remove the bell housing OLD SCHOOL! but cool i love old stuff

i have not seen a removable bellhousing on any of the toys i have worked on 84-95. am i missing somthing here.

Yes, but just that they all have removable bell housings... :D You have to have the trans out to remove it, so it does not look removable from the outside. :cheers:

from 79 to 83 toyota made a l series tranny in which the bellhousing and tranny housing were one piece you could not remove the bell housing OLD SCHOOL! but cool i love old stuff

yeah, but you're wasting the love there...

Toyota had recalls on those trannys and they are considered junk

funny to watch on ebay tho. People act like it's some rare thing and a collectors item...:lol: They jack the buy it nows or minimum bid...it's hilarious....

I almost bought a Trekker one time, and the guy was adamant about keeping the trans...I don't know why...

$400 but couldn't get it home :crybaby:

well i got new clutch and everything in there tranny bolted up hole relocated for transfer case shifter. with the original crossmember bolted to the new w56. talk about a tight fit with the cross member all the way against the bottom of the frame the top of trans is hitting the tunnel i think we will weld some 1/2 in plate in between for needed clearance i wish there was an easy clean way to relocate this crossmember without it looking like hammered .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom